Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rock The Parkway Race Recap

Yes, I have fallen off the blog wagon AGAIN. Work knocked me off and I just couldn't seem to keep up or get back on. It's hard to climb back on a wagon while 6 months pregnant.

I'm in my 23rd week or 6th month of pregnancy and I'm feeling pretty good albeit still gassy, forgetful and about 15 pounds heavier. Some may say it's 15 pounds of sassy and I think they are right. I don't hold anything back these days, it's as though someone has given me a dose of truth serum.

A couple of weeks back, I traveled to Kansas City, Missouri to see my family and run a little 5K race called Rock the Parkway.  I was originally supposed to run the half marathon with my sister, but thank God I missed the deadline, because my running is still sporadic at best these days.  Some weeks I run as much as 20-25 miles per week, others weeks, I can barely eek out 10 miles.  It pretty much depends on where Beavis (no the child still has no name...just Beavis) is laying.  If he's down low, he pushes on my scar tissue from my prior C-section and that makes running pretty painful, but if he's up high....game on.  So my sister ran the half, and I ran the 5K with my dad, which was pretty special because it was my Dad's very first 5K and his very first race!

Race morning, we got the brilliant idea to wear matching, bright ass orange t-shirts.  This was to be a really good decision because later on in the race/after the race, we could all spot each other from a mile away.



I had one goal in this race-make it to the porta potty at the mile and a half mark.  Ask any pregnant runner and she'll tell ya that you have to pee every 5-10 minutes, so making it to a mile and a half mark was a good goal..  Actually it was either that or pee my pants because I really had no other choice.  I had no time goals for the race.  I mean why?  I was 20 weeks pregnant and 13 pounds heavier, it's not exactly like I train for speed these days, I pretty much train as to not have triple chins.  So the plan was to just run at a comfortable pace.


Well, I made my potty goal and finished with a chip time of 29:31, which is a 9:31 pace and even though I was slower than usual, I still came in 37 out of 260 in my age group.  In fact, the top 5 women in my age groups times only ranged between 22 and 25 minutes.  Hmmm....may have to come back next year less pregnant.  

Here I am crossing the finish line with a lovely heel strike made possible by a downhill finish. 

After I finished, I found my brother-in-law Wick and we started to look for my dad, which really wasn't hard hence the bright ass t-shirt.   We found him walking about 500 yards out from the finish line.  I ran out to give him a little encouragement and to get him to run it in to the finish.  My dad is not a runner, but he signed up and started to train for the race so that he could hang out with his daughters on race day.  He was so excited about this race and so very nervous that it would take him at least an hour to finish.  

You want to see something inspirational, you watch your 58 year old, non-running father finish his very first race well under his goal time.  His chip time was 44 minutes and the smile on his face when I told him his time was priceless.   I am so very proud of him and I have a feeling that this won't be his last race because he was already talking about training for another one.  :)



My dad and I after our 5K.  His shirt says WTF? on the front and "Where's the finish" on the back.  I'm glad he has a sense of humor.


My dad, brother-in-law, and I hung out at the post race after party and waited for my sister to finish her half.  I must say that I was extremely impressed by the Rock the Parkway race.  They had a great expo, well organized race, awesome after party including a band, and ample food/drinks for the racers.



Pretty soon, my sister texted me and said she was near the finish.  She crossed the finish line with a 17 MINUTE HALF MARATHON PR!!!!    I am so proud of her accomplishment!   This is only her second half marathon and I think that she will keep on surprising herself with future PRs. 

I had such a great weekend and it's always nice when it includes running AND your family.   Hanging out at the race, I realized how much I want my son to grow up around this sort of atmosphere.  I stopped racing after my daughter was born, so she was never around this type of culture.  In my wise, old advanced age, I now realize that you can be a mother and a runner and I would love for him to hang out around these types of events.  You just can't help but come away from them with a good feelings from being around such positive, active people.  And maybe, just maybe, he'll  be just a little bit inspired to be a runner (or biker or triathlete) one day.  

Next up:  Colfax Marathon Relay May 20th




19 comments:

Terzah said...

I did the Colfax Marathon when I was pregnant! (2006) But I wasn't as pregnant as you are--my enemy was nausea and not being able to eat enough. I actually bonked after my 10K leg.

You still don't even look pregnant, woman--very unfair. It sounds like a fantastic weekend. I wish my dad would run a 5K, too--he'd love it--but his wife's nasty INDOOR smoking habit is an impediment. For now, I'm working on my sister.

Terzah said...

I mean I did the Colfax Marathon RELAY pregnant. Geez.

Molly said...

how cute is your dad? I think you got your sense of humor from him : ) what a great way to spend time with the fam!

um, yeah, you are Tiny! I think you can let yourself have a bit of cake frosting : ) honestly you look great!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats to you and the family at the race!!!

Jill said...

Awww, I love your dad for doing this race and I love how much you love your dad. And your sister, I love how much you love your sister and her amazing PR. Oh heck, I just love you too for being so badass pregnant running a 5k - and heel striking the finish to boot! That takes extra special love right there because I usually schold heel strikers!! But I know your bitchy preggo self will tell me off if I yell at you so no way in hell I'll do that. I'll leave that bitch-session for Lane-Hogger and Snorkle-Man!

Jill said...

"scold" ... my brain's ahead of my typing skills again. Sheesh.

Yo Momma Runs said...

A. Your dad is awesome.
B. You all are awesome for wearing those orange shirts.
C. If you didn't keep repeating that you are pregnant, I would not believe it. You look amazing!

Julie said...

I was going to ask if it was hunting season? :)

How fun to be able to race with your sis and dad! I'm glad you had such a good time. You look fantastic still!

ajh said...

Love that your dad is racing with you and wow what a great PR for your sister. And look at you and your placement in your age group carrying another person! Yowzer!
And I may be swimming but notice I didn't talk about my speed. I am beyond slow. Way beyond slow.

On the Right Track said...

What a great experience to run with your dad!!!! I would love to be able to do that! and the shirt...i want one, totally awesome!

when are you going to start showing btw...you look amazing, and the ultrasound pic below brings back so many fond memories...I could never run when i was pregnant becasue I peed all over myself constantly...disgusting, I know ;)

great job and congrats to your sister !

HappyTrails said...

Dearest Beavis' mother: Where ARE you hiding him??? A backpack? :-) You look fantastic! And you are so right - it is way awesome to love and spend time with our dear family. And yes, it will be good to drag little Beavis around to all your races - you've got a good start!

Christi said...

Okay, you still beat me when you barely run and are pregnant! :)

Congrats to your entire family!

Hey, we should both run this race next year. That would be cool to hang in KC with all of our families!

Teamarcia said...

Wow! Congrats to all of you. Bright-ass orange rocks! You still look tiny girlfriend. Pregnancy definitely suits you. Plus who doesn't love some extra sass?

Kathy said...

Loving the orange tees! Family is the best!!!
Best of luck with the relay - you are doing an amazing job, mama!

Jesse - Run To The Border said...

WTF? Where have I been? You're pregnant? How did I miss this in my blog feed?

dreambigrunner.com said...

I think it's amazing that your dad starting running! What an inspiration you daughters must be! Love the matching shirts and the WTF slogan :)

runforwine.net said...

Yay for pregnant racing! you still got it even at 23 weeks! I love that your family has fallen in love with running. Congratulations to all three of you!!

Kate said...

Hi! I found you while blogsurfing and LOVED the story about your dad training for the 5K to hang out with his girls. :) How very very cool.

Congratulations on the baby boy on the way, too. I have three of them, and raising boys is pretty awesome. You know, except when they're driving you insane, but yours has a while before he gets to that point. :)

Christina said...

You are quite a superstar!