Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It's Official......

Before I get to the whole point of my post, which is the Colfax Marathon Relay Recap, I just wanted to say:  It's official, you guys were correct in saying that my belly is small for as pregnant as I am.

 The other day a co-worker came up to me and we had this conversation:

 "Hey, I heard you were pregnant!"

  Obviously, news travels fast around my office.

 "Yep, I'm in my 26th week. Only another week and I'll be hitting my third trimester."

 "Wow, I had no idea that you were even pregnant until Rob mentioned it the other day. I just thought you were getting a little chubby."

And that's what I was scared of.  I'm in that stage where you just can't quite tell that I am pregnant, but you can definitely tell that I've put on a little weight.  Like 17-18 pounds worth of who the hell knows what.  So to most people, I look like I've been hitting up the Cheetos and ice cream all winter (which I have, especially the Flaming Hot Cheetos, but that's besides the point).  How many other people are out there thinking that my low belly bulge is due to me not being able to put down the beer and nachos.


This weekend, I had the pleasure of running with 4 other people as part of a team for the Colfax Marathon Relay.    We decided that the pregnant runner (that's me in case you hadn't figured that out yet) would get the shortest leg, so I only had to run 4 miles.  I  am still putting in about 15-20 miles a week, with a 6 miler on the  weekends, so 4 miles sounded like a good time to me.

We had a group of 4 of us and needed one more person, so I conned my husband into joining the relay team and then decided that he would do the first relay leg, which meant he had to get up at the ass crack of dawn in order to be at the 6:00 am start (none of the rest of us wanted to get up that early).  Moral of the story, if I ever ask you to join my team, be ready to take the crap end of the stick.  Actually, he honestly didn't mind, he's an early riser anyway and enjoyed running in the cool morning air.

Anyway, he had the first leg, which meant that he handed off to me and I got to truckin' on my big 4 miles.  My leg started at Invesco field, home of the Denver Broncos, and the first mile was a climb out of the stadium and up to Sloan's lake.  I have the cardiovascular system of an 80 year old asthmatic smoker right now, so I felt like I was sucking wind on the hill and I decided to walk just a bit, which made me wonder if  people where thinking that I was a lazy turd because my leg had just started and I was already walking and panting up the hill.   I had on the tightest extra small shirt that I could find and I hope it accentuated my belly and people knew I was big and pregnant and not too lazy .  I mustered a little strength to push up and over the end of the hill and we finally made it to flatter ground around the lake.   I had already decided at the start of my run leg that mind over matter was the way to go on the need to pee/lack of bathroom problem, so I tried to focus on other things, such as goose poop.   There was goose poop in certain areas on the sidewalk and the focus it took concentrating on avoiding the droppings took my mind off my aching bladder. .

There were so many marathoners out on the course and it made me long to be in their race shoes.  I love the feeling of race day, when all of your training and hard work comes together to accomplish a goal.   Someday.  I'll be back out there someday, but right now, I was just happy to be doing what I love to do.

To make a long story short, because we all hate long race reports: I saw the 4 hour pace group pass me, leeched onto the back end of them, and I finished.   AND without peeing my pants.

After my leg, I took a bus back down to the finish and to wait for the rest of my team to finish up their legs of the 26.2 miles.

Here's a pic of  my husband and me.  This was his first running race!


Here's my team, which was suitably named Hack Job.  We consisted of:  two newbie runners who were doing their first race, a girl with a bum injured knee, and a pregnant runner.   Not the fastest team in the world, but being the fastest wasn't the goal for us, we just wanted to enjoy the experience and have a great time.  We finished up with a 4:13 marathon chip time. 

One of the newbie runners is stoked to start training for his first half marathon this fall and while I had high hopes that my husband would be joining me in more races, I think he is content to be a biker and occasional runner.  

Plus, he will be watching the baby next year while I run my non-pregnant butt off. 


This weekend was also prom for my daughter Madison.  I must say brag a little and say that she looked absolutely gorgeous, so very grown up.  I can not believe she will be a senior next year, where has the time gone?    


Next up is the Denver Color Run on May 26th.  

20 comments:

Emz said...

awesome!!

I love this.

"little chubby" men, I swear.

You rock!

Jill said...

You and Bevis are just so damn cute. I get the pleasure of seeing you when we swim so have enjoyed watching that kid grow. You definitely have a baby bump but seriously, that kid is going to be a midget when it pops. But he's going to love spicy Cheetos! :)

I'm buying you one of those trailers you throw the kids in and hook onto a bike so Rick can take Bevis out for long rides while we run and run and run. (note: no swimming!). You are doing great keeping up with the running, 80-year old asthmatic or not...that's what I love about you - your tenacity to keep going, even when I know you haven't felt like it.

Keep being strong, girl, and careful not to inhale the chalk dust this weekend!

xo

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

wow! flaming hot cheetos you are too cool. keep kickin'. gr8 pix of you and your husband. he looks pretty fit - tell him to forget the bike - Beavis is going to be a runner. time to start training to keep up with him.

Julie said...

You are awesome Tara! I have to say one of my first thoughts was 4 miles! I wonder how many times she had to stop and pee?! :) I'm so very impressed with they way you are staying in shap! You just keep eating what ever you want!

Your daughter looks so beautiful!

Terzah said...

So many similarities between being pregnant and being injured! I also ran the Colfax Marathon Relay when pregnant--but I was only 8 weeks pregnant, so no pee issues, but boy! did I have I-think-I-might-puke issues. I ran a 10K leg and was pleased with under 1 hour. The worst part was having to walk home afterwards.

I hope I can run my butt off with you this fall, even if most of those runs are virtual because, well, you'll have a baby and I'll have two kindergartners. Oh, and having a husband who is more laid-back about running is a *good* thing, because it means you can do more of it. :^)

Teamarcia said...

Look at you! Preggo racing machine and a cute one too! Nice work out there!
Madison is a beauty like her mom. : )

Kathy said...

Gorgeous prom pics!!
You look great - I didn't realize you were doing the relay! I was out there for the whole (fool) thing!
I'll be at the color run this weekend, too!!
Find me!!!
kathyleereed@gmail.com

Kristen Lawrence said...

Um...Wow! You look amazing. I ran maybe 300 feet while pregnant then I sat my body in the pool all day long. :) Keep on rocking it!

Jennifer said...

Three things-
Cute hubby!
Cute Belly!
Beautiful daughter!

ajh said...

You look great as does your daughter!

C2Iowa said...

Wow. Way cool and a machine you are.

Redhead Running said...

Your little preggo belly is adorable how does anybody think you've just been crushing the cheetos?!?!?

Congrats on the marathon relay!!!

Christi said...

Congrats to you and your team!

You look great by the way. I am the one that can't pull myself away from the beer and nachos! Speaking of which let's get together and indulge once you have had the baby! ;)

Have a great week my dear!

runforwine.net said...

Good for you! Relays are great for having fun. No pressure. How are you getting through 4 milers without having to stop and pee?!

And I HATED that stage of pregnancy where I just looked chubby. Lukily for me it was during the winter months and I was always in a jacket, so maybe (probably not) it was less of an issue. I hated that I would go to the waterfront for a run and get passed by people that had no business running past me. It's not like I could yell, "i'm pregnant" at them.

You look great! I don't see those 15 lbs at all. And Madison looks lovely. I love a leg slit!

Molly said...

We're on the same wavelength, I'm reading your post and got a ding that you commented on mine. : )

You're a rockstar with how much you're racing and running, you're doing more miles than me! I better get my chubby ass out there.

Love how you got your hubs to race, great looking photos too : )

Have a great weekend, and have fun at the next race!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the race

ajh said...

If you do come to Garden of the Gods we are going to brunch after to Adams. If you are interested in joining us let me know soon and I will tell my friend as she is making reservations this week. I just sent this to Jill too. How far is Denver?

Yo Momma Runs said...

That phase is awkward! Sometimes it might be easier to wear a sign that tells people you are pregnant and not just hitting up the vending machine a lot.

My husband tried running, and it didn't work out for him. I didn't mind too much either because I need someone with the tiny children on the sidelines.

dreambigrunner.com said...

You are one fit pregnant mommy! Amazing!!

Christina said...

I'm only 18 weeks and I am quite pregnant! I wished I had kept up with running but I was scared. Now, I just walk and do an occasional jog for a minute or so.
You are inspiring.