Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cranky Pants




On Sunday, yours truly stuffed her pregnant self into some spandex and went for a bike ride. I actually had to retire my x-small women's bike shorts and bum a pair of my husbands, but it was a gorgeous, sunny, 70 degree day and a bike ride was in order no matter whose shorts I was wearing.

The husband, Beavis, and I got in a short 20 mile ride and I am happy to say that the hills didn't kill me and I only had to stop and pee twice.  That is one pee for every 10 miles; score one for the pregnant woman.  I had to take the ride a little slower than usual and had to yell at my husband to "Slow down!!" a couple of times, but overall, I felt good on the bike.    

I finished my 15th week on Friday, so I today I am 15 weeks and 4 days pregnant or as I like to say, I am starting my 16th week.   My energy level is better in the second trimester and I no longer deal with morning sickness and dizziness, but different symptoms have now taken hold.  I burp more than a twelve year old boy due to constant indigestion,  constipation is making me angry, and speaking of angry, I can go from happy to "I'm going to light your ass on fire" mad in an instant.  My co-workers call me feisty, but I know they are just being nice.  I realize that I'm just a cranky, old hormonal pregnant woman who burps too much and hasn't taken a crap in three days.

Saturday, I wanted to do my long run of 6-7 miles; however, another pregnancy symptom put a crimp in my plans.  In the second trimester a lot of women will experience what is called round ligament pain.  The round ligaments hold your uterus in suspension and as the uterus grows, it stretches these ligaments, which in turn pulls and tugs on nearby nerve fibers causing pain.  This pain is totally normal and can vary in intensity from a dull ache to sharp pains.  I remember this from my first pregnancy and I was experiencing it again.  Saturday was another gorgeous day out, but I knew that the round ligament pain combined with the fact that I hadn't crapped in three days, would make for a very uncomfortable run, so I opted to swim instead.

Skipping out on a long run on a beautiful day and having to go to the pool made me really crabby.   Borderline bitchy.

I got crabbier as I drove to the pool and by the time I got to the gym, I am sure my face was frozen in a snarl.   I checked in and headed to the pool, sure that I would hear over the intercom a warning for all people in the pool.  "Warning to swimmers.  Bitchy, pregnant woman headed your way."  Actually that would have been nice, it might have cleared some people out, every lane was full, so I had to wait.

I finally got a lane and once I started swimming, my cranky attitude started to dissipate. I was using my new Zoomers swim fins and my ligament pain was actually subsiding, so my mood was definitely improving.  That is until I saw gross sauna man jump into my lane.  My gym has a sauna and a steam room located right next to the lane pool and people will go sweat themselves silly in there and then come out and jump right into the lane pool to cool off.  Never mind that there is a shower located less than 2 feet away from the pool/saunas.  Normally, I can tolerate these people, it's gross, but I let it slide, I figure chlorine will take care of their gross sweat, but today it just took me over the edge, especially since it was MY lane he was in.

I had originally planned to do 2,000 yards, but I was starting to get cranky again, so I grabbed a kick board to cool down and end my swim at 1,500.  Gross sauna man saw me barreling his way with a glint in my eyes, so he quickly dodged under the rope to the other lane.   Every single lane was full of swimmers and I watched him dodging them back and forth.  When I got to the other side of my lane, the swimmer in the lane he was in, was unknowingly headed right for him, so he swam back into my lane.  Well, I didn't stop, I headed straight for him and kicked him.

I know.  I am going to hell for that kick.  Karma will for sure come back to bite me on this one.  I'm sure he'll probably be the anesthesiologist when I go into labor in August, but I bet he won't jump into my swim lane again until then.





Tara 15 weeks 4 days or starting the 16th week.  Smiling.  Today is going to be a good day.  

18 comments:

Kathy said...

So funny! Ewww to the sauna man!! I would have kicked him too, and I'm not the pregnant one!
Bummer about the round ligament pain, it's a real bear but you are doing far more than most 16 weekers are doing, so super WOOT to you!!!

Taryn said...

Kicking the sauna man is the best thing ever. You can't get bad karma for that, because he deserved it.

Christi said...

You crack me up! The sauna man got what he deserved.

You look great in your biking gear!

HappyTrails said...

Ok, are you SURE you are pregnant???!!! WHERE are you hiding the telltale 16 week bump???!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

My dad was an anesthetist and had something like that happen. A guy that was a real SOB didn't know what my dad did but was sure surprised when my dad waked into his room the morning of surgery!

Julie said...

You are so cute and you just crack me up! Good job on taking care of Sauna man...they just moved the sauna next to the pool at the rec center I go to and I now see the same thing happeing...thanks people...

It was a beautiful weekend wasn't it?

ajh said...

Ha Ha! I hate it when people are in your way- good strategy to keep it from happening again.

Keith said...

Got here from SUAR. Gross sauna man got what he deserved. He's just lucky you didn't put the kick board someplace where he'd look pregnant. My theory for dealing with people that cross lanes without looking, or start just as I'm turning is to swim over them.

ShutUpandRun said...

By the looks of your stomach, you are not pregnant. You better take another test.

Jill said...

I am officially banning the Monday swim team with you. Holy hell girl..."I do not know here, I swear!!" I scream, as they pull you out of the pool!

:)

Have a fantastic week! Can't wait to see you when I get back!

xo

Terzah said...

You crack me up!!!! Why does every gym have to have gross sauna/hot tub dudes???? Hurrah for the cranky pregnant swimmer lady (and yeah I agree with Beth--you are what my mom would call tee-tiny).

Teamarcia said...

I think you were well within your rights to kick the gross guy. Oh round ligament pain...and indigestion...and constipation...it's all coming back to me now. It's great you're able to stay so active to counteract all the 'fun' byproducts of pregnancy. Woot for almost 16 weeks!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I love your description of pregnancy...and I gotta tell you it doesn't make me miss it! But congratulations and you look beyond fantastic!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I go to the 24 hr. Fitness on Broadway and it is the same set up. Those sauna people are always hoping in. Yuck! And I always seem to go right after the aqua aerobics class. And that is gross!!

Hope you are feeling good, and really, you look amazing!!

Molly said...

GAH! Nasty sweaty guy, I'm surprised you didn't clock him with your kickboard : )

jan said...

I'm a first time visitor and I love your blog so far! Good for you for continuing your workouts. I hate it when people consider pregnancy an excuse to sit around and eat bon bons.

runforwine.net said...

I commented on this when you first posted it and blogger ate the comment. I being also cranky pants at the time was too irritated to comment again.

I always give people the stink eye at the pool. Pregnant or not. People are idiots. A kick was totally appropriate. Physical violence is always the answer. For me at least.

You look awesome!! You should not feel cranky about that!

On the Right Track said...

I just LMAO with the "kick" of sauna boy...did the exact same thing this morning during my "tri" open water swim...I kicked the hell out of this guy and swam right over him...
I'll meet you in hell...company is always a good thing ;)

Yo Momma Runs said...

Pregnancy is your ticket to be cranky whenever you want, so live it up. Once you start looking pregnant to outsiders, you can even kick it up a notch. For some reason pregnant people who aren't cranky annoy me. Maybe because I was so miserable every single time I've been pregnant.