Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Meet Beavis

The other day I caught my husband staring at our 12 week ultrasound pictures. My first thought was: "Awwww, that's so sweet, he's looking at his little baby".

And then he opened his mouth...

"Doesn't really look like a baby yet does it?"

"Well, no, the shots taken from the front definitely look like a little alien because the head is still so big" I replied

"I was thinking that it looked more along the lines of Beavis (from the show Beavis and Butthead)".
He then proceeded to throw his hands in the air and proclaim: "I am Cornholio and I need TP for my bunghole!".

I didn't know whether to be more scared that he still remembered the lines from Beavis and Butthead or the fact that he was comparing our baby to Beavis. I mean, he was right. The baby has a big head and his hands are waving in the air. If you look at it just right, it does kind of look like Beavis from Beavis and Butthead.

So we are now calling our unborn child Beavis. We will be awesome parents.


I was looking extra pregnant this morning, so I took some belly shots for you. Here I am just starting my 15th week of pregnancy. I still look fairly slender, but my waist has definitely thickened up quite a bit and I have retired a lot of my jeans and work pants and am now resigned to my former fat pants.



Front View- 15 weeks.



Beavis and I are still running.  We usually take the the dog with us; I figure her old butt could use the exercise just as much as my pregnant butt does.  Plus how can you really resist this face.



Running has been a lot easier for me over the last week; it seems my heart has finally accepted the 40% extra blood volume and has allowed me to resume running (fairly) normally.  I know this won't last, pretty soon I'll be as big as a semi truck, but for now, I will enjoy it.

Now if someone could just convince my bladder to resume normal function.  The other day the dog and I had 6 pee and 2 poop breaks between the two of us on our 4 mile run.  The poop breaks weren't mine, but I was a little envious.  Constipation......another joy of pregnancy.  


Anyway, my heart seems to have accepted its new workload, which is nice; however, I am still running slow,  I figure I am not training for anything, so why push it?  I first noticed the effects of the blood volume increase around week 7 or 8 and it literally felt like I was running under water, I had no breathing capacity what so ever.  My pace didn't match up with my effort and my heart rate would be through the roof.  I would have to take constant walk breaks to bring my HR down to normal even though my pace and effort were extremely easy.

I honestly never really noticed a difference in my biking.  The leg strength is still there and I hope to keep it that way.  Of course I have been doing most of my biking on the trainer, which definitely helps since I don't have to deal with the lung capacity needed to ride the Colorado hills.  Gasp...gasp.

As for swimming, well....let's just say I never thought that I could actually get any slower then I already was, but of course I did.  Mainly because I would have to breathe every stroke and it would seem as though I would be gasping for air if I tried to swim "fast", so I would just take it slow with lots of rest breaks.   I have noticed a change in my swimming over the last week or so, definitely a little easier.

So that's it.  Still hanging in there with my workouts and fitness routine.  Now that I am in my second trimester, I have a little more energy, so I have been putting in at least 6 hours a week doing swim, bike, run, and strength and trying to stay on a consistent schedule.

My nutrition however, is a different story.  When you wake up at 2:00 in the morning craving baloney sandwiches with mayonnaise and chips crunched on top, you know you are in trouble.   I think it has been 25 years since I've eaten a baloney sandwich, but this is the sort of nonsense I am dealing with.

Off to devour some candy bars.....

19 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Yay so my running partner is Beavis! Maybe that makes me Butthead. No wait.
Even 15 weeks preggo I think you're more slender than I-even after a go-round with the flu.
Glad to hear all is well!

Taryn said...

I love that you call your baby Beavis. That is amazing!! Cracks me up! :)

Keri said...

You look so great! Tell Rick that I totally know the line he is quoting from the airplane scene in the movie and it always my first thought when hearing Beavis and Butthead! I understand that this unveils a whole new level of cool for me...

I am so glad you are still running. Since you are pregnant, you can eat an unlimited amount of Easter candy, right? I mean I am already seven bags in for the season!

Jill said...

Are you going to rename your blog to "Colorado whiny pregnant chick"? :)

I'm so looking forward to the day your gut protrudes as much as mine...probably in your 28th week.

You were swimming great yesterday! I am so stoked that your pregnant hormones are kicking in and you're super annoyed at all the patrons...such as, "Lane stealer/lane hogger/kickboard stealer" dude; this is going to be one fantastic next few months in the pool!! I wonder how many people you'll manage to piss off and if it'll get you banned from the pool. I'm going to pretend I don't know you! hahahah.

Keep being awesome!! Love ya tons!

runforwine.net said...

I think we are preggo soulmates because I LOVE ham sandwiches with mayo and potato chips crushed between the bread. So good! Although I also eat them when I'm not preggo...

You look awesome! I'm so glad you've been able to keep up a consistent workout routine. I feel like getting in some solid movement throughout my first 20 weeks was imperative to my overall emotional and physical well being. Now I'm definitly starting to see a downshift in thatand running has become more and more painful on the bladder so I'm not sure how much more of that is in my future. I'm glad we both have swimming in our back pockets!

I hope you keep up the pregnancy posts. I love hearing about it :)

oh, and yes, on the Bob: I think that's they way to go. I've heard nothing but good things from my running freinds. Well worth the money for sure. On my test run the other day it was surprisingly comfortable and easy to maneuver. I'll post more on it.

runforwine.net said...

I think we are preggo soulmates because I LOVE ham sandwiches with mayo and potato chips crushed between the bread. So good! Although I also eat them when I'm not preggo...

You look awesome! I'm so glad you've been able to keep up a consistent workout routine. I feel like getting in some solid movement throughout my first 20 weeks was imperative to my overall emotional and physical well being. Now I'm definitly starting to see a downshift in thatand running has become more and more painful on the bladder so I'm not sure how much more of that is in my future. I'm glad we both have swimming in our back pockets!

I hope you keep up the pregnancy posts. I love hearing about it :)

oh, and yes, on the Bob: I think that's they way to go. I've heard nothing but good things from my running freinds. Well worth the money for sure. On my test run the other day it was surprisingly comfortable and easy to maneuver. I'll post more on it.

Whitney said...

Ha - I love your tiny bump.

And I love candy bars. Maybe that's why I can't kick these last couple of baby lbs?

Julie said...

LOL! You make me laugh! And really that is extra pregnant looking? You are still smaller than my thigh....

We need to meet up sometime soon for some mexican food...or a baloney sandwich... :)

Terzah said...

Your pregnant looks way better than my not pregnant! :^) And you are doing a much better job with keeping the workouts going than I did. I think it's going to be a fun pregnancy for you. I hope the Beavis resemblance, um, doesn't last. :^)

Alma said...

I'll take your prego belly over my regular belly any day! Nice job keeping up with the exercise!

Shana said...

You're awesome! Congrats on the baby & your rocknin' awesome bod at this stage in pregnancy. damn girl!
Can't wait to follow you thru all of this.

Julie said...

Holy shit Tara!!! I go to your blog to see what and the hell is going on and I find out that you are preggers!!!! Well congrats to you and your hubby! How exciting for the both of you. You look so amazingly beautiful!:) I had my last one in my late 30's. Good for you! Big Hugs!

HappyTrails said...

I bet little Beavis/Beavette will morph into a little cutie! :-) He or she will be screaming for baby wipes for his/her bunghole! :-)
And why does your 15 weeks preggo look like my normal, unpreggo self???!!! :-)
K

Christi said...

You look adorable! I am so glad that I got to meet you the other day. I think we are going to have some great adventures in the future!

FYI, the interview went great. I am now doing the waiting game.

Tara said...

Julie!!! Email me when you get the time, would love to chat with you!

Kathy said...

Hi, just found your blog!! Congrats and well done running with Beavis (something I never did with my pregnancies)! You look great - happy gestating!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

umm - i still pull a t shirt up over the top of my head with my arms up doing The Cornholio. nothing wrong with that. is there? more TP.

have fun! my wife just needed ice and mango smoothies all the time. only other thing she could stomach was boiled chix breast through all four of ours. Now she cannot stand thought of Mango's or stomach the smell of boiled chix - ever.

ajh said...

You are a very cute pregnant!

I wish I could swim with you. I would make you feel fast as no one can be as slow as I am.

And the Beavis story is too funny!

Molly said...

where's the bump? My wine belly is bigger than your baby belly : )

Honestly, you look fantastic.

I noticed that when vegetarians get a meat craving, it's for the best stuff, hot dogs or bacon. Have you ever had a fried baloney sandwich? My husband makes himself one every 3 years or so. He puts them on white bread with mayo and black pepper. If the mood strikes, he adds a slice of tomato.

Just a suggestion : )