Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh BABY

This is a cleaned up version of what I really said.



I'm kidding of course, the baby was planned, but there's still something shocking about seeing that positive result on the pregnancy test. My mouth dropped open and thoughts of me getting fat and going without wine for the next nine months set me in a panic. I do love my wine.

The baby is due on August 31st, so I am about 13.5 weeks along, and we couldn't be more thrilled. This will be my husband's first child and my second. Madison, my first, is sixteen and a junior in high school. Yep, I am pretty much starting over, I must have had way too much wine when I made this decision. It is scary, but at the same time, it will be a new part of my life and a new adventure, one I am looking forward to in my advanced geriatric age (apparently a woman who is over 35 is a geriatric or "old ass" pregnancy).

The timing was a little off, I wasn't supposed to get pregnant until AFTER the Carlsbad Half in January, but well....you know nature had no idea I was running a race. I was right smack dab in the middle of training when I found out, in fact I was only three weeks away from the race.

I told you all that I didn't have good luck with out of town races.

I immediately started researching fitness and running during pregnancy. Could I still run the race? SHOULD I still run the race? I would be close to 9 weeks pregnant on race day. One thing that I zeroed in on right away was that every single article I read advised expectant mothers not to get their heart rate above 140 bpm. Now, I heart rate train and my zone one EASY pace is anything under 153 bpm. I can easily get my HR up to 140 by just walking up the stairs.

I was honestly in turmoil over this. I had invested a lot of time into the race, but at the same time, I didn't want to put the baby at risk. The first 12 weeks of a pregnancy are critical because it is when most of the development happens. We aren't talking about whether the or not the baby will have big ears or small ears, we are talking about brain, heart, spinal cord....big stuff.

I felt better after I saw my doctor. She was very comfortable with me running the race, in fact, she encouraged me. She said that the 140 bpm were guidelines meant for the average woman. I work out a heck of a lot more than the average woman, so really, they didn't apply to me. Everyone is different, yet my body was used to the stress of running and working out, this is what I do, and she encouraged me to continue with a fitness routine throughout my pregnancy.

The one thing she stressed was that I needed to do the race at a conversational pace and stay well hydrated. Being able to hold a conversion would ensure that I was getting adequate oxygen and therefore, oxygen/blood wasn't being diverted away from the baby during the critical development stage.

I did one better than that. I figured I would run slow enough that I would only need to breathe through my nose. If I didn't need to gasp for breath, I knew I would get enough oxygen and wasn't stressing my body.

This is why all of my race pics look like I just got a whiff of bad cheese.

Carlsbad Half - 8 1/2 weeks preggo.


The doc also told me that I would begin to naturally slow down. Blood volume increases by about 40% in the first trimester and the heart has a hard time keeping up with the increase. Well I took my 40% (fully loaded with altitude induced red blood cells and hemoglobin) more blood volume and went to California and I felt awesome. I had the energy of two ten year old boys after slugging down 20 ounces of Mountain Dew.

Energy or not, I still ran the race slow, finished in 2:13, and I am so glad I did it. I am thrilled that I get to have a baby and STILL get to do the things that I love like running, biking, and swimming (love is a very strong word when it comes to swimming however).

A lot of people have asked me what my race schedule is for this year and I've kind of hemmed and hawed and put them off. Well this is why. I still have a few races on my schedule, but they will all be for fun.

2012 Schedule

March 11th-tossing around the idea of doing the Running of the Green
April 14th, I will be running a race with my dad, sister and some friends in Kansas City, Missouri.
May 20th I am part of a marathon relay team for the Colfax Marathon (this should be funny; I'll be about 6 months pregnant at this time. My leg of the relay is only 4 miles)
May 26th I am doing the Denver Color Run. This one should be a blast. You start out in a white t-shirt and at every 1K, they shoot you up with a different color, so that by the end of the race, you are a color explosion.


My third trimester starts on May 26th, so I have a feeling the only thing I will be doing after that is bitching and moaning about the heat and the fact that I can't have a cold beer, so I doubt I sign up for any race, but we'll see....

August 31st - DUE DATE!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet my baby.

Sept-December - Wine

2013 Race Schedule - IT'S ON. I will be tired of being fat and pregnant, so I will be back with a vengeance.

24 comments:

Redhead Running said...

EEK! Congrats girl!! That is so exciting and I will be interested in seeing how your running goes throughout. I find it so informative, research you might say, for the future. :)

Molly said...

TARA!!! I am THRILLED for you, Congratulations!!!!

I've read a few blogs by women who ran throughout their pregnancies, you can totally do it and keep you & the bambino healthy.

When I was preggo I replaced wine with ice cream. It did the job.

xoxo

Taryn said...

CONGRATS!! This is so super exciting!!

Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures!

runforwine.net said...

WooHoo!! I've been waiting all morning to read this!! So happy for you and happy that the cat's out of the bag now. So hard keeping such an awesome secret!!

And of course, I feel you on the wine issue. Obviously.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

CONGRATS!!!

Alma said...

Congratulations! I've been researching this a lot lately (I'm 39 and planning on having a #2 one of these days) and have found that as long as you were running or whatever before you got pregnant, you can keep on doing it. Just listen to your body, stay at a conversational pace, and keep exercising as it is better for you & the baby. The 140 bpm is a joke. Check out cassandraforsythe.com for more info. Keep running! Switch to swimming or whatever if the impact is too much for your bladder. Also, check out runzoerun.com - she run up thru her 8th month! Good luck!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

CONGRATS! and Big WOW! I thought you were glowing when I saw you in Carlsbad? :)

I have a Sister who has 8 kids. 5 out of the 8 she ran at least one Full Marathon during the pregnancy.

Also welcome to the geriatric parenting club. I was 39 when our last was born, my wife 43. Yep, we will be working for them all till the day we day, and going to a few college graduation ceremonies wearing Depends. :)

Again Congrats to you and your Husband. Madison will be a great big sister!

Jill said...

You're pregnant? What the hell?!?!?

;)

Well, I've said it a few times...but again, I'm very happy for you... and I can't wait to babysit!

xoxoxo

ShutUpandRun said...

MY jaw just fell open. Major, major congrats. This is so exciting!!

ajh said...

Huge congratulations! Yay for you!

That color race sounds fun for sure.

Are you still swimming?

Julie said...

Congrats!!!!!! How very exciting for you!

Laura said...

Glad you are making it public - I have been dying keeping it a secret AH! I love you SO much & can't wait to meet my new niece or nephew :) Loves!

Jacquelyn-TheSilverMaple said...

Tara,
I couldn't be happier! Enjoy every minute of it (even the feeling fat, being tired, etc)! Yay for you!!
Much love,
Jacque

Keri said...

Is it bad that my first thought was oh shit, she cannot have any alcohol?! Ken and I are both so happy for you guys!

Christi said...

YAY! That is great news! Congratulations!

Whitney said...

Congratulations! This is so awesome!!!
I ran up until about 20 weeks - but then I was showing so huge that it became very uncomfortable... which is funny, because at 18 weeks I was part of a Ragnar team and did 13 total miles (with a long stretch of 7).
Keep up the running! You will be an awesome pregnant runner!!

Teamarcia said...

I was so honored to help you keep the pace 'conversational' in Carlsbad, geriatric runner that i am.
Yay! Glad the cat is out of the bag! Heres to smooth sailing all the rest of the way. I second the motion on plenty of ice cream.

Christina said...

Congrats!!!

Christina said...

Congrats!!!

HappyTrails said...

Woo-hoo for you! A BIG congratulations! This will be a fun and exciting new stage in your life. Nicole De Boom, a former pro triathlete and founder of Skirt Sports, blogged her way through her recent pregnancy on the Skirt Sports website. You might like to check it out as it appeared she stayed VERY active until delivery. I have several long time running friends who ran until the day before they each delivered. One ran with me for part of an Xterra race I did a few years ago - she was 6+ months prego. You will do great!

Terzah said...

Congrats again, Tara! Very excited for you!

dreambigrunner.com said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations!!!! So happy and excited for you :)

Erin said...

CONGRATS! Woah, where have I been?! this is great news and I'm so excited for you and your fam. I really appreciate hearing about running and pregnancies... ya know, for research for the future. Congrats again!

secondhand bicycles in uk said...

Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world.God Bless You..
london olympic bicycle company
bicycle shops near london olympic
used bicycle shops in london