Thursday, February 2, 2012

Carlsbad Half Marathon Thoughts

Someone needs to take my blogging card away from me. I'm not sure why it is so hard for me to keep up with this blog. I mean, it's simple really, you sit down, you write something, you upload the obligatory photos, and then you publish. I don't know how many times I have told myself "OMG, delete the stupid blog already!", but I can't, not yet, maybe never.

So for the whole two of you, and that number includes my daughter (Hi Madi), who are still reading my posts , here's my thoughts on the Carlsbad Half Marathon that I recently ran.

Before the Race

Back in October, my friend Jill signed up for the full marathon and convinced me that I needed to sign up for the race too. I signed up for the half and then the two of us spent the next few weeks harassing Marcia to sign up as well. Jill and I are expert naggers, so we soon received word that Marcia was in. Our blogger friend Meg, was also signed up for the full and graciously invited (or we may have invited ourselves...I forget) to stay at her house, since she lived so close to the race. Score. Girl's Weekend. This was going to be fun!

Obligatory Photo #1-me doing a long run in a snowstorm.



So I started training. This was to be my first running race since my knee surgery in May, so I was very excited. My training started out great. I was doing more volume based training rather then intensity based and I was feeling strong and healthy and more importantly, I was running faster at a lower heart rate. I knew this race was going to be a good one.

Stay with me here, I'm getting to the race, I haven't blogged in 3 months, so I have a lot to say.

Then mid-December, the wheels just totally came off. I started to feel slow, sluggish....TIRED, and sick. I went to the doctor and had lots of tests ran. I am now on blood thinners and having my platelets and clotting levels checked weekly. The doc told me that I could run the race, but had to take it slow as to not make anything worse.

Run the race slow? My first thought was to bag the race. Who wants to go and run slow. Then I realized, how dumb that was, what was I trying to prove? No one and I mean no one, gives a crap except me about my race times and really, why should I care?

I am way too type A, someone please slap me.

The Race and course

The course was beautiful and the half route ran along the ocean for most of the race. The half course was also pretty hilly, not NEARLY as hilly as the full, but still "bumpy". I knew it was hilly, so I trained for the hills, (which was no problem since I live in Colorado), so they weren't too much of a problem for me. Plus I could breathe for once since it was at sea level.

The first 8 miles went by pretty fast, I just took my time. Let me share with you my bevy of goofy race photos.

Here I am running up a hill looking like I am in la la land.



Here I am so bored that I am twirling my gum. This is a disgusting habit that I have and I can not BELIEVE that the race photographer caught me in action. You probably can't tell that it is gum, but I know what exactly what I was doing because I caught myself twirling the gum several times out on the course. Ridiculous.



I was apparently out on the course so long that my hair grew. I have really short hair, but it looks long and flowing in this picture. I also look like I smell something really bad, which makes sense because there were some people out there who obviously didn't know how the hell to apply deodorant.




Around mile 8, my butt started hurting, so I slowed it even further. I have SI joint issues and the joint was causing hip and glute problems, so I saw Marcia and we just dorked around the last few miles until the finish line. We talked, we laughed, we walked,we made fun of ourselves (and others), and we just had a good time. Seriously, I just had such a good time doing this race. Thanks Marcia.

Before we knew it, the finish was upon us. Thank god because by that time my butt was REALLY hurting. I would have so loved to have sat in a vat of ice. Marcia and I of course threw our arms up as we crossed the line. Nerds.



We found the rest of the girls and posed for this post race photo. Meg, Irene, Jill, me, and Marcia.



Highlights of the Race Weekend

Spending time with an awesome group of girls. Seriously ladies, we must not wait another two years to do another girls weekend. Love you girls.

Finally getting to meet Meg. I've been following her blog for several years now and was thrilled to finally meet her. It was also awesome to meet her husband Steve; two of the sweetest people around. Thank you so much for your hospitality guys.

Meeting Irene and Mary the Running Green Girl. I look forward to getting to know you all better this year through your blogs!

Getting to see my good friend Jill make her marathon comeback!

Realizing that running a race doesn't have to be about chasing down a PR*, crossing a finish line and the camaraderie of fellow runners and friends make me smile too.

*I just say this because I wasn't able to this time. You better believe I'll be chasing that shit down once I am able.

21 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the race

Christi said...

Great race! I am totally on the race for fun path right now because I am tired of getting hurt.

Heather @ Just a Colorado Gal said...

Nice job!!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I love your attitude about the race. I think we get too caught up in being fast that we don't realize doing the race is the important thing. Sounds like a fun girls weekend!

Julie said...

Tara you are as funny as Jill! You guys both just crack me up. Congrats on a good race and what sounds like a fantastic weekend! And I can relate to the butt pain...sucky!

Teamarcia said...

Seriously you do need to blog more because I love reading your posts. It was so so fun and we need to do it again...not that one...but you know what I mean!

Jill said...

Oh why is blogging hard sometime? It can be rather time consuming! Maybe because I'm not good at writing so I always am going back on editing!

Great job on the race! So much fun to do it with a group of friends! Way to go!

Jill said...

I'm sitting here in the library cuz you know, I am computer-less and all, and I almost fell over in my chair at the nice quiet library when I saw you posted!!

Ok, how did you steal those race photos? I didn't know they were available so I just went and looked mine up. Hahah...why do race photographers think they need to find the ugliest pictures of us to take?

I'm glad I was able to twist your arm about Carlsbad and we had a great weekend - despite all our bitching and whining! Probably good we were just lolly-gagging that race otherwise we might have chewed each others head's off with our nerves! Meant a lot to me that you were there for my comeback race. When the race was over, all I wanted to freaking do was FIND YOU and give a huge hug!

Thank you for being my very special friend!!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Glad you had fun. Beautiful place to be South OC to North SD Counties.

Very sorry to read about the blood issues though. Is there a bottom/root cause with this being a symptom of something? Hope all is well!

ajh said...

Looks like fun - the girl's weekend and time to race with bloggy friends!

Tara said...

Hey Slomo-LONG story, but it's somewhat a symptom, I may blog about it soon.

Keri said...

OMG! The picture of you twirling your gum had me busting up laughing! You are too funny. I am glad that you posted and that you are back in the running game after last year.

I saw that Chicago is already at 30,000 people and it just opened on Feb. 1. I am so sad I am not running it this year. I would ask if you are signing up, but since you have paid the last two years and not been able to run, that might be a bad question at your house. :) If you are thinking of a Fall marathon come back, may I suggest Kansas City.

Terzah said...

Obviously there are more than two people reading this! I'm so glad you ladies had such a good time. I say, post when you feel like it.

Are you doing the Platte Half? I will be there. :^)

HappyTrails said...

Yay! You are back! Glad you had fun despite having a few physical issues. It IS hard to run a RACE slow, though. :-) And yes, there are more than two people who read your blog....

Thanks for the nice comment of the hair - sometimes you've got to just let it all hang out, blow in the wind, and go wild! I can't wear it down when it's hot, though - very sticky and icky! Have a great weekend - stay warm!

The Green Girl said...

I can't stop laughing. Loved your non-PR with a valid excuse race report, girl.

It was awesome to finally meet you after I'd heard so much about you from Jill. All good, of course. Nothing bad. ::winks::

Jennifer said...

Glad to hear you are back, seriously when you replied to my blog the other day I was shocked! Ha ha, just kidding, I was actually excited to hear from you. Good job on the race and so lucky to meet Meg and hang with Jill. Cheers!

Christine said...

Great race!! Hope you are feeling better now.

runforwine.net said...

Ugh. More medical issues. I'm sorry. I totally get not really wanting to do the race after realizing you wont really get to 'race' it. I know it was probably pretty lame (aside from the fun girls weekend stuff) but I appreciate you putting a postitive spin on working with what you could.

Gum twirling. Hilarious! and disgusting!!

On the Right Track said...

hey...Awesome Job!!

I LOVE those pics...it looks beautiful out there!

I'm a new follower...looking forward to reading more about you!
and no...there is more than just you and your daughter(beautiful btw) reading your blog :):):)

Molly said...

Yay!!! classic Tara post that had me laughing the whole time. Twirling your gum???? seriously??? I would have choked on it. Nice race Chickie, happy you had a fun girls weekend!

On the Right Track said...

hey...thanks for the follow:)

cold laser therapy??? hmmm..gonna talk about this with my pt tomorrow!

I'll let ya know:)