Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A New Look, a New Race



Everyone recovered from their candy hangover yet? I've got a good one, it might last all day....

It's a new month and I thought it was time for a new look. I was tired of the black background, so I decided to take the blog lighter for awhile, I'm sure I'll change it again.

If only I could take the hint and clean out my purse and make it lighter, I picked that thing up this morning and just about fell over. Who put the bowling ball in there? I have a bottle of Arnica cream, full size bottle of hairspray, 3 granola bars (you never know when you might need extra fuel), hand sanitizer, mini bottle of Scope, deodorant, 5 tampons (one for me and 4 other women in a time of emergency), $20 in nickels/dimes/quarters, and a Hawaiian spirit stick that says compassion.

One never knows when they might need a spirit stick.

A new month, a new look, a new purse (easier then cleaning out the old one), and a new race to start training and looking forward to.

I've signed up for the Carlsbad half marathon on January 22nd. This will be the first longer running race that I will have done since I screwed up my knee training for the Chicago Marathon last year. I haven't decided my goals for the race yet, but I have several friends doing either the half or full, so it will be a fun girl's weekend. Quite honestly, I don't want to get caught up in the whole goal/pace thing again. I am going to see what I can do in training, how my knee feels, and go from there. My main goal is to have fun and enjoy running again.

So far the training has been rather light and I've been doing most of my workouts in zone 1-2 HR (a.K.a easier), so I feel fresh, rested, recovered, and ready for the new training phase. I am also still swimming and biking for maintenance. I must admit that I am kind of hooked on doing the tris and I have a couple of bigger races in mind for next year.

Speaking of being well rested, last week we took a mini vacation over fall break and stayed in a little cabin in the mountains.



This place had spectacular views and overlooked one of Colorado's 14,000 ft peaks.



While I was there, I did a couple of trail runs and was just in awe of the views. I am so blessed to live here and really should spend more time appreciating the gorgeous mountains and landscape. When I first moved here 4 and a half years ago, I couldn't get enough of them, I could stare all day, but now I realize that I take the mountains for granted that they are "just there". This needs to change. Actually, there many things in my life that I take for granted and that needs to change too.



Off to clean out my purse. Anyone need a tampon? Spirit stick?

29 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Whats a Hawaiian Spirit Stick?

Christi said...

I think you are taking a great approach to Carlsbad. I wish you the best of luck in your training.

I always take the mountains particularly, Pikes Peak, for granted. I have to remind myself sometimes to just stop and enjoy the view!

Have fun with your purse cleaning!

Julie said...

I agree...just get a new purse... :) And I too want to know what that spirit stick is but if it helps you to have more compassion I could use one as I'm sorley lacking in that department most of the time.

Wishing you lots of luck with the HM training!

So what tri's are you looking at for next year?

Ed said...

Those are some nice photos...no need for a tampon I dont have a bloody nose :S

ShutUpandRun said...

Do u have a condom in there? Love that u r doing Carlsbad and not getting caught up in the pace game. Loved this post today!!!

Heather @ Just a Colorado Gal said...

I still have my spirit stick from when I was a dancer in high school! Talk about a blast from the past!

Love view of the 14ers-- I look at Longs from where I live and never get enough!

ajh said...

Gorgeous views! Enjoy them daily!

ajh said...

And you should see me swimming! 12 laps today of free style - 2 at a time but I am getting there and I haven't drowned yet.

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

You can never have too many tampons in your purse. That's my motto at least! I love your approach to training. I think it makes it so much more enjoyable, and shouldn't running be enjoyable?!

Jennifer said...

A cabin in the mountains! How nice, you lucky girl, I am jealous. I bet Carlsbad will be fun, you'll get to run with Meg. I love purses, but mine usually end up with tools inside, like screwdrivers and such. I bet we could tell a lot if we could empty every ones purses. Cheers!

Terzah said...

I actually needed a tampon earlier today. Wait...is that TMI in a blog comment? :^)

Congrats on signing up for Carlsbad. You're going to have a great time. I wish I could sign up too--maybe some other time we'll get to do a race together.

HappyTrails said...

It is so easy to take things, we see every day, for granted. That includes people, places, stuff. Always race to have fun! Hey, we are trying to figure out where those lakes are??? Not Estes, not Grand Lake....

Christine said...

The mountain views are beautiful!!!

Good luck with your training :)

Jamoosh said...

I am considering doing the Carlsbad Marathon. I am going to be out there that week. The issue is I have Houston the week before and I promised my wife no back-to-back marathons.

Like the lighter colors!

Beth said...

Ohh, Carlsbad sounds like fun! I love the mountains too, can't wait for a little winter get away myself!

Jill said...

Can I ask what the hell is a spirit stick? And a Hawaiian one, to boot? I'm thinking you're a little "weird", not sure we can swim together anymore! I think we can still have a margarita together though, as long as it's not stupid mango flavored!

I saw this to-die-for burgandy colored patient leather Coach purse the other day - GO GET IT!!! OMG, it was gorgeous. I'd be super envious.

You're going to Carlsbad? Wow! What a coincidence, I will be there too! :)

xoxo

runforwine.net said...

Your so funny. I love your humor. If I ever find myself in an emergency I hope I'm with you.

I bet your fitness levels is exactly where it needs to be at the start of a marathon training plan. Sounds like you've been doing a ton of great base training. Your refreshed, anxious to train, and HEALTHY! This will be good!

you need to buy a smaller purse so you can't fit all that shit in there!

Molly said...

for a second there, I thought I was in the wrong place because of the blue!

My purse has a wad of chewed up gum stuck in a pocket. gross.

Those photos are GORGEOUS!!

Thanks for all the good marathon vibes, so excited!

HappyTrails said...

Ahhh, Twin Lakes. We likey!

Hey, whenever you girls up north want to come down for a foray up the Incline and then lunch, just let me know! It would be fun!

Erin said...

Woah, you've been back at blogging for a while! Where have I been?! Good to see all those badass tri's you've been doing. And a half marathon on deck. Nice! Good luck with the training and what not!

Teamarcia said...

Woot for a Carlsbad girls' weekend! Could not be more excited!
I feel ya on the super heavy purse. Mine too, except I've got nothing in there. Go fig.

TX Runner Mom said...

Gorgeous views! I am still working on the hubs about moving to CO, lol!

Fruit Fly said...

What beautiful views!!

I about died laughing with the tampon question. Just today my co-worker rushed to tell me that she found one in the crosswalk outside of work. So as I was driving off at lunch I rolled the window down and said loud enough for all to hear, "Hey! I think you lost your tampon in the street up there!" She about died.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

YEAH!!!!! I will see at Carlsbad!! My favorite Half Marathon.

Robin said...

Love the maountains! I wish I had running views like that here in Houston! www.dashingdiva.net

Irene said...

Tara!

Thanks so much for being my bloggie Secret Santa! I love the socks, peppermint gu's and stingers! A nice surprise!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I seriously want to move there...gorgeous! Get a new purse for sure ha!

The Green Girl said...

It was so good to meet you yesterday, girl. I had a great time hanging out at the race and afterwards.

Hope to see you again soon!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

just thought i'd see how you felt about the race?? seems everyone else thought it was a real bugger!