Monday, October 10, 2011

Molly's Virtual Fall 5K Race Recap


First and foremost, Happy Birthday to my sweet Mother!

This weekend I raced for not one, but two great fundraisers. Molly's Virtual 5K to benefit the Children's Tumor Foundation and The Band on the Run 2 Miler, which benefited the Smokey Hill High School Band.

I ran both because I wanted to support two of my friends from the blog world. Molly is hosting the virtual 5K and is running the New York City Marathon in five weeks (OMG Molly!) and my good friend Jill's son is a member of the H.S. Band.

OK, I'll make these race reports short. I know how you people hate for me to drone on and on.

Saturday was the run for the band and I awoke to 38 degree temps and snow. WHOOT! To me, this is perfect racing temps. I met Jill at the high school and we literally ran over to the start, so I could register and be ready for the 9:00 start time. She wasn't racing because she was running the Denver R&R half marathon the following day, which, I might add, she totally kicked booty in with a 1:52 time!

When the "gun" went off, I was gone. I was a very intrigued by this race because I haven't done any type of real speed work since I came back from my knee surgery in May, so I had no clue what I could do pace wise in a pure running event. Questions about what pace I should run flowed heavily through my mind; being injured can be a total confidence sucker and my ego has taken a total downward spiral lately. However, since the race was only 2 miles, I was like "meh, let's just go for it". The first mile split was at a 7:52 pace and the second was at a 7:37 pace, with an overall time of 15:29 and a 7:44 pace. Good enough for 1st place in my age group and the best thing is that it succeeded in making a HUGE boost in my running confidence. Might I add that this race was VERY small, hence the age group placing.

At home, after the race, all smiles.

Sunday, with a renewed sense of confidence in my running abilities, I ran Molly's Virtual 5K. You know, sometimes, all it takes is just a little thread of hope and everything seems to just falls into place. At the end of my 2 mile race yesterday, I felt amazing, like I could keep on running, so I mirrored the 5k after my race the previous day.

PIC: starting off on my 5K in my prize from the "Band on the Run" 1st in AG Prize! A reminder that "Yes, I can do it!"


PIC: 1st in AG prize from the front.


Like I said, I mirrored my 5K like the 2 mile race the day before. The first mile, I started out at a bit of a downhill and had to actually hold the pace back a little to a 7:50 pace. It was once again a sunny, yet crisp, cool 38 degrees and my absolute favorite running temperature. I am a Colorado girl at heart!!

The second mile was at a slight uphill pace, but I KNEW I could still negative split from the first mile, so I held fast at a 7:39 pace. This one was a little tough due to the uphill, so I had to pull out all the stops and use LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It". Yeah, whatever...it worked.

I wanted to negative split that last mile down from the 7:39 pace, so that last mile was tough for me. I was on the verge of puking my Wheaties Fuel and stopping, so I thought about all of my friends who were racing the Denver Half Marathon and the Chicago Marathon at that very moment and I knew that they were probably struggling, so they were my inspiration to keep moving forward. I also thought about my triathlon coach and the fact that she kicked some total ass at the Kona Ironman National Championships the day before with a 10:22:xx overall time and a 10 minute PR. Total badass.

I thought of how great these women were and what I wanted to accomplish next year and all of my goals for the 2012 year exploded in clarity in my head and I pulled out the last mile in a 7:10 pace.

Ummm, goals were set aside when I realized that I was in a world of hurt and ran the last .2 at a 7.43 pace.

AND DONE. Ok, it looks like I was a little overzealous on the course (probably while I was dreaming about running a 3:30 marathon) and ran 3.20 miles instead of a typical 5K of 3.1. OOPS. 3.20 in 24.20 is a 7:36 pace, so a typical 3.1 5K course would have taken me a time of :

23.35.

Not a 5K PR, but shit, I will take it!!!! I haven't seen those numbers IN A LONG TIME. Whoot, two races in two days with paces in the 7 minute mile range. Ok, time to run slow again for the next few weeks.

Congratulations to all of you who ran the Denver half or Chicago Marathon and were my heroes yesterday. You know you who are! You guys are my total inspiration to dig deep inside of me next year and be the athlete that I know I can be.

And to Molly who is dedicating her NYC Marathon to help children with cancer; kudos to you, thank you for hosting this 5K race!

Have a great week my friends!



11 comments:

Molly said...

wow girl, you are BACK!!!!

I can't wait to hear about what your plans are for 2012 : )

THANK YOU again for supporting me through this round of training, and for donating to my cause.

xoxo

Jill said...

Holy crap girl!! I know you kicked some serious snow outta the way Saturday (cuz I was there to witness it :)) but then you turn around and run a frikkin' amazingly fast 5K on Sunday - woohoooooo!! I am SO happy for you!!!!

And happy for US!! Forever, I thought God was playing some sort of joke on us. Though my stupid heel injury started long before your stupid knee disaster, you were there for me from the start, listening to me whine and vent. Then it was us together, me in my boot and you in your knee brace. We shed so many tears together, bought horse shit together, researched every damn little thing we could do to make us run again...

and here we are. FINALLY! Running!!!!

I couldn't have asked God to give me a better person to have gone though this agony with, I am not certain I could have handled the stress and depression I faced without you. Finally, it's our turn again....I couldn't be more proud of how you are doing!!!!

BIG plans for you - and us - in the coming months!! I cannot wait. As long as they don't require pool rehab time! :)

Love ya, girl! Congratulations on a fantastic couple races.

Tara said...

Awww, dammit Jill, now I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out. I'll e-mail ya. Love ya sweetie!

ShutUpandRun said...

Awesome, awesome. So good to see you and Jill back on your running legs!!!!!!!! Nice first place AG!! Love the shirt too.

Terzah said...

Tara! Congrats! Wow, you are fast! And how fun to do two races in one weekend.

It's always good to find more Cardinals fans. There are lots of us here, you know! The last time I went to a Cards/Rockies game there were at least as many Cards fans in the stands.

I think my husband has forgiven me now....though he refused to watch the game yesterday....I was at work so I couldn't watch either, which turned out to be a good thing....

Christine said...

Amazing!! 2 races and both times awesome times! You killed it!! Congrats!!

ajh said...

Wow! You are fast. Love that you won your age group. Great shirt.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on winning your age group

Tara said...

Thank you everyone! I appreciate it!

Maggie B said...

I just read this - WOW!! You did AWESOME! Congrats to you! xo

Tara said...

test