Thursday, March 10, 2011

Breathe


Test. Test. Is this thing on?

Well hello, yes I realize that I haven't blogged in two months. Mainly because I've spent the last two months running around from one thing to the next and it seems like it never stops.

Honestly, there are times when I feel like I am in perpetual motion and everyone else is just standing still. I know this is not the case, everyone is busy, but at some point, life/work has to slow down or I'm going to go nutso. My normally happy-go-lucky disposition seems to have been replaced by a raving lunitic who has to keep reminding herself to "stay calm...stay calm...stay calm...please do not yell at that innocent person".

Ok, I realize that you didn't come here to hear me ramble like a crazy person.

Breathe

Running. Because that's what we all like to talk about.

I'm still injured, but it is getting better and better every week. I think for the most part, my ITB issues are a thing of the past, yet I still have just a little bit of odd knee pain that my PT keeps telling me to run through. Umm...right.

Enter Acupuncture.

Above anything else, I think this has been doing the trick for me lately. I was skeptical at first, but after the first session, I noticed a marked improvement in my running. My first run after acupuncture, I still felt the pain, but I didn't start to feel it until about 40 minutes into the run. Normally, my knee would start to ache after about 25 minutes in. I've had a few sessions and now I am able to run hills and I couldn't before and I am slowly increasing the pace ever so slightly.

Is Acupuncture just a placebo? Does it really work? My answer is WHO THE HELL CARES. I am getting better and I am hopeful, so why should I care if I'm just tricking my mind.

It is also helping me to relax. Every session I go in with my pulse racing, stressed, and ready to scream. My acupuncturist takes my pulse, tells me to relax, deep breathe, listen to my body, and let it go. I don't know when my life will get less hectic, I am crossing my fingers that it will be soon, but I do know that I have never felt more relaxed then when I am laying there on that table with needles sticking out of my body.

Or maybe it's the wine that helps me to relax. I forget.

29 comments:

misszippy said...

I've been using acupuncture for years for a variety of things. I am a believer...it may not cure the problem, but it can supplement other treatments, imho. And yes, it does tons for stress levels. Not that wine hurts either!

ShutUpandRun said...

Yes!! Here's hoping this is the trick for you...glad you are coming back!

ajh said...

Yes, WTHC if it feels better use it! It's great to hear you're getting better.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

i love accupuncture, it makes me feel so zen..so that alone is worth it for me!

Jennifer said...

Hi Tara! Great to hear from you again! Never tried acupuncture and find it interesting that so many people seem to use it. That's a good thing, I'll have to try it one day. Cheers!

Jesse - Run To The Border said...

Glad you're back to blogging. Hopefully the acupuncture keeps working for you!

Kovas said...

Pretty much anything combined with wine helps.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

doughnuts work for me. wait a minute what were you talking about - relaxing or knee pain? either way there is nothing that raspberry filled or maple bars can't heal! :)

yep as you might be thinking - i am hitting my 2:30 PM carbo/sweet snack fix! it always relaxes.

Sabrina Hayes said...

:-\ - Does it hurt?

Meg said...

I totally TRUST and believe that acupuncture is great for running injuries and tight muscles in general. Wine isn't too bad either...probably cheaper as well!

I hope you get better, it's SO great to read your blog again, you always put a smile on my face!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

..... yes! i found some leftover cheesecake - bluberries! mmmmmm ... i feel so relaxed now.

Jill said...

Hi Raving Lunatic...I no longer get offended when you yell at me (insert: innocent person!) - call it immunity or the fact I'min teh same boat - who knows - I'm just glad you are getting better, and glad we still find the time, somehow, to get together at least once a week to workout (insert: vent!). Swimming laps yesterday all by my lonesome was....well, productive (ha!) but also no fun! And you know how much I LOVE swimming laps :).

Continue on with that healing girl...one day we'll run together again! One day, even if it's freaking 2018!!!! we will be there!!

(HUGS)

Laura said...

Finally a blog! I know you've been in accountant hell here lately so I forgive you :-) Hope the acupuncture keeps working for you! I signed up for a 10K in 3 weeks. Get excited!

DaysRun said...

Nice to have you back to bloggy-land! Sorry to hear you're still hurting. Keep your ching up; things will get better. I've got a giveaway going on now - stop by and say hi.

Anna said...

I'm with you - if it WORKS then who the hell cares if it's just a placebo or the real deal? I'm so happy to hear you're going longer and longer without being in pain...WOOHOO!!!!

Tara said...

Haha! Slomo, don't worry, I've been working on the Reece's Peanut Butter Cups!

Alma said...

I am a firm believer in acupuncture. Magical for sinus infections! I figure the Chinese wouldn't have kept up the practice for 1,000+ years if it didn't work, right? So glad it's working for you!

JessiePants said...

New to your blog, but glad you are back! Hope that your healing is going well.

Just Run With It said...

Welcome back, friend. I hope the acupuncture keeps helping! Sorry to hear life is crazy busy for ya right now (I feel ya.. wedding planing... the peak of boston training... deadlines for work), but what goes up must come down so surely things should slow down (i hope). And hey, that's what wine is for :)

Molly said...

I believe in all that new age crap, so that's great the acupuncture is helping!

wine and peanut butter eggs help too (laughed at your FB comment)

happy weekend Girlie!

HappyTrails said...

Progress is GOOD - glad some of your suffering is starting to go away. Have not tried the acupuncture but it probably is OK after the shock of seeing all the needles poking out of your body!!! Have a great weekend Tara!

Iron Mike said...

The raving lunatic, rambling like a crazy person works well for you, too.
Take care of that ITB!

FruitFly said...

You are so brave! The thought of acupuncture scares me - but hey, if it works then dang it, do it!! :-)

Kristin said...

I feel the same way sometimes, like I'd just love to sit down and do nothing for a minute. I've always wondered about acupuncture for my chronic plantar fasciitis. I'm glad to hear it seems to be working for you!

TX Runner Mom said...

I've never tried acupuncture, but I've heard from some friends who have had great results. Glad to hear you're doing better. And, wine always helps me destress too. :-)

George said...

Hey, really great blog post… I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy you put into each post. I actually run AceHealth.org, a blog of my personal research and experiences. If you're interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail: bob.mauer65(at)gmail(dot)com, and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ulyana said...

'Hope your running is going great now!!!

CANELAFINA said...

Beautiful blog. The dogs is Golden Retrevier ? A have a friend dog Golden. Congratulations.
Eduardo= Brasil
www.luizeduardocorredor.blogspot.com

shana said...

whatcha doin'?
where'd ya go?
email me!
would love to catch up.