Wednesday, January 12, 2011

If I Could Turn Back Time......

A little Cher for you this afternoon. Minus the skimpy hooker outfit and the big hair.

You young whippersnappers out there probably have NO idea of what I’m talking about.

My doctor officially cleared me to run last week. I am starting back slowly, to make sure that my ITB doesn’t have a return flare up, but I am hoping to be back to running on my own and without the guidance of my Physical Therapist by mid-February. It’s been almost four months since my last “real” run, which was just three weeks shy of the 2010 Chicago Marathon. If I could turn back time (there's that Cher reference), I would have been smarter about the injury; had I just STOPPED RUNNING AND RESTED, I might have been at that starting line. Instead I kept pushing on and pushing on, trying to get myself to my marathon. I have beaten myself up about this numerous times, but what's done is done.

Random picture of me mountain biking since I don't have pics of me running....yet.


I have vowed to come back from this injury smarter and stronger. I know I'm not a natural long distance runner; I need a combination of strength work, stretching (what the hell is this?), and cross training to get me to the starting line of a marathon, so that's what I'm going to do. My Coach always put strength work and stretching on my schedule, but I would ignore the stretching and would just focus on the arms for strength work. Who knew my legs needed so many damn squats!!!!

Random pic of Colorado...because it's pretty.



Random pic of a tarantula from our bike ride...because it was scary and ugly.



I have learned so much about my body because of this injury; it's almost a blessing in disguise.

Ok, so my 2011 schedule. Well, right now it's tentative, but since I have been swimming so much, I have a couple of triathlons in sight for the spring and summer. I may or may not do a marathon this year....time will tell on this one. I may have something else in store for the fall. Hmmmm....we'll see.

Anyway, this is by no means final yet, but here it is:


Duathlon May 2011
Tune-Up Tri (indoor swim) June 2011
Boulder Sunrise Century (that's 100 miles people!) Road Ride June 18th 2011
Triathlon (lake swim!) July 2011
Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half-Marathon August 2011
Chicago Marathon-I have unfinished business here. If I don't make it this year, next year is a must. Revenge will be sweet.

So that's a start. I'm sure I'll add more races later on, but for now...it's a fresh start.

BTW-I ran again this morning. NO PAIN.

33 comments:

Keri said...

I am thrilled that you are running pain free!!!

For the record, the only Cher song I know is from the 90's. Does that count as knowing Cher???

kristen said...

I had no idea you were injured. So sorry to hear this. I feel your pain. Literally. I had to drop out of a marathon a couple of months ago for the same thing. If I could only turn back time.....in my case, I think the bike is what fucked me up so bad. Blech. What's done is done. Heres to a speedy recovery. Glad your running again!

Emz said...

Love the schedule.
Love the biker girl photo.
Love Cher. ok just THAT song but I do love it.

misszippy said...

Awesome Tara! So glad you are pain free.

I'm in the same boat with ITB that you were months ago (please tell me it won't sideline me that long). Same deal--I was stupid and pushed through pain. Paying for it in a big way now.

FruitFly said...

How exciting, welcome back!!

That tarantula creeps me out... I'm so glad you shared that picture!

And for what it's worth, one of my dearest friends is a freaking awesome drag queen and Cher is one of his specialties! Man, remember back in the day when they couldn't play that video on MTV until after 10pm?? Crazy. It is so tame by today's standards!


Well be careful with your return, we don't want any fresh injuries. But how exciting for you!!! :-)

Christina said...

Welcome back! Glad to know you are back running!
Take care. :)

ajh said...

Awesome that you can run again. That tarantula was so yucky!

Laura said...

1. That tarantula...GROSS!
2. I'm young & I know Cher. Who doesn't know that song?
3. I'm happy you can run again. Take it easy & focus on other stuff too--k? :-)

Miss you guys!

ShutUpandRun said...

So glad you are going back to make Chicago your bitch!!!

I agree, the injury teaches things. The hard way. Hang in there. You know I get it. Let's just keep checking in with each other as we start back...baby steps.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Welcome back to running! So happy for you! Georgetown to Idaho Springs is my favorite half marathon, my first 2 half marathons, and love the celebrating afterwards! Love your schedule...good luck! :)

Jennifer said...

Happy to hear you are on the mend! Your race schedule looks very exciting. I love Cher... there I said it!

HappyTrails said...

Ha, I just heard that Cher song today and I like it! Yay on running pain free! Nice job on mixing it up on your event schedule this year.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

agreed the best runners have learned from our own stupidity and are smarter when we come back and have a renewed appreciation... i enjoyed all of this excpect the spider :)

Molly said...

I think everyone who gets hurt knows exactly when they should have stopped to prevent it. But we're stubborn.

That is fabulous that you're cleared to go! Chicago won't know what hit it : )

I heart Cher.

Anne said...

Woohoo for running again and for smart running :)
BTW, I'm old enough to think that Cher rocks...cause way back when, she used to (when she had her own tv special with Sonny :))!

Jill said...

Crossing my fingers that tomorrow at 9a.m. is a no-show and then we can do Chicago in 2012!!! What a blast that would be!

Meg said...

Welcome back to running! I'm happy you were able to run pain-free! Going through an injury is so hard but it DOES bring about so much experience and learning! See you Chicago!!

Alma said...

Yup - you make that Chi-town marathon your bitch in 2011! It's all yours!

Karen R said...

It looks like you have a great 2011 lined up!

Whitney said...

What the GIANT spider?!?!?

Kristin said...

Congrats! I battled ITB issues all year in 2007. The good news is that you can and will get past it. Beautiful pics!

Christine said...

I just came back from an injury as well and I know what a great feeling it is to get a green light for running again!! Don't beat yourself up, you learned from it an will be smarter in the future :) Great idea with triathlons!!

Anna said...

What duathlon are you doing in May? I have two halfs that month, but I might be interested in throwing in a duathlon for good measure.

CONGRATS on being injury-free and back to running! YAY!!! I'm so happy for you!

Shana said...

I keep looking at the Georgetown again - what am I thinking!?!?!
Maybe this time B could run it and I could cheer you guys on!
Perfect plan to me.

Just Run With It said...

It's great to see you back and hooray for running pain-free!!! PS. we should totally try and meet up at some point this year (with all the tris and running we have in common) :)

Jamie said...

Yea for pain free running!

Injuries suck but if you learn something from them and they in turn make you a better overall runner then that's huge. I hope to see you Chicago soon :)

Danielle said...

Glad you are running without pain!! : )

Iron Mike said...

Ambitious little schedule. Looks great!
And hey! Kick Chicago's ass.

Ulyana said...

You know, so much of it is luck. Of course, it's important to look back and re-evaluate where you've gone wrong and what you would have done differently. But the thing is, you never know. What if your body actually withstood the challenge of you pressing on??? Then nothing would have been done wrong, and you would have gone onto other things. So, I hope you are not beating yourself up any more :) (a lecture from a fellow injured runner...haha)

I hope the journey back to running is going smoothly.

TX Runner Mom said...

SO glad you are better. It's so hard to stop, rest and recover...most of us would keep pushing through it, so don't beat yourself up. BTW, that tarantula is yucky...my hubby used to have one as a pet. Ugh!

TX Runner Mom said...

PS. I have seen Cher in concert. With my parents. It was about 10 years ago, and I actually enjoyed the experience. ;-)

Ron, running the wrong way. said...

Hi fellow Colorado Runner! Just restarted my own running quest and my own running blog. I hope things are going well for you!

Meg said...

TA RAH! Always my favorite blogger(ok, bsides Jill)...and it's so good to hear that you're out there alive and ticking!! I've missed your funny, witty, dry sense of humor!!
I'm sure you're keeping it real, girl!! Are you running, etc.??
meg