Thursday, December 2, 2010

Extra Bitchy Pills

Got the tree up, one good thing done!



Someone slipped me an extra bitchy pill the other day. You know; the pill that makes you irritated and irrational over every little person and thing that rubs you the wrong way? Yeah that pill. I had to remind myself to “stay calm or you’re going to have a coronary”. Oh I can blame my irritation on the never ending “to do” list or the fact that the wind blew my perfectly coifed hair into a faux hawk (it was lovely, I wish I had pictures) or the fact that I am still NOT running, but no, I think someone slipped a bitchy pill into my morning beverage. Bitchy pills….watch out for them. Just thought I’d get the warning out.

Yes, you heard me right, I’m still not running. My ITB just will not release. Stubborn little bugger. I’ve done just about everything I can think of: I’ve gone to physical therapy; I’ve stretched it, iced it, rolled it, massaged it, and elevated it. I’ve even thought about cutting my left leg off and sprouting a new one. When I ran this last idea by my physical therapist; he warned me it might hurt but I could try it if I wanted too.

When you are injured, you have to watch out for those psychotic pills too. Bitchy and psychotic could be a dangerous drug cocktail lest you are pissed off enough to actually try cutting your leg off. Not good.

There was a point in time when I was getting better and even running and then my SI joint came out again and messed my ITB up again. Now I’m back to square one and I’m going back to the doctor this afternoon. We’ll see how that goes.

In the meantime, I have found out that I really like to swim. I never thought that I would say those words, but I do. I’m up to 1900 yards in the pool, which is over a mile. This is a lot for someone who had trouble swimming even 300 yards earlier this year. I think that I see a triathlon in my future. I had Jill record me doing freestyle over the weekend, so I could send a video to my coach to see I need to work on. Jill and I watched the videos and it wasn’t pretty. My arms are ok, and my left leg is ok, but my right leg does something funky when I am breathing on the right side. Sort of like a frog kick. Let’s just say that I would totally win a triathlon if I started on the left and everyone else was on my right side. I would take out the whole lot of them with that right leg. It looks dangerous and lethal.

Jill looked at me after we had finished reviewing the video and said: “Well, at least you’re not vertical in the water anymore”. I’m so proud of myself; see how far I’ve come? No wonder I had trouble swimming 300 yards, that’s hard to do when your feet are practically touching the pool floor.

Ok, time to go to the doctor. Did you see the picture up top? You can't miss it. Those are some of my happy pills. My daughter, daughter's BFF, and my puppy. Just missing my husband (who was taking the picture) in the picture. I have a lot to be thankful for in spite of that damn ITB.

25 comments:

aron said...

does your PT do ART or have you seen a dr/chiro that does? i have been going just for preventative care, but i know a number of runners with ITB issues that have been fixed with some ART. maybe something else to look into if you havent already?

sounds horribly frustrating :( i hope you can figure it out soon.

Meg said...

Oh, Girl. How I needed this post.
I'm injured too and HATING it. I need those pills in EXTRA strength.
The thing is, I don't like swimming and I'm also terrible at it. I'm still vertical. As in water jogging. I try to end the workout with ten laps, yes, a measly ten laps of swimming and I'm dying.
I am going to stick this out because you said you weren't doing so well at first...and I just can't give up, yet.
No limb removal as of yet.
GET BETTER!!!

misszippy said...

You deserve those pills...that really does stink! I am glad you've found swimming, though. I do it faithfully and really find it compliments running well.

Anne said...

REally hope the dr was able to come up with some kind of new plan...yay for the swimming though and I totally can't wait to read all about your first triathlon recap :)

Beth said...

I know completely how you feel, noting sucks more than being injured, but hopefully something good will come of it. After twisting my ankle last winter I started swimming and ended up doing my first triathlon in June. Now I am signed up for a half ironman =). Hope you get better soon!!!

Slomohusky said...

i would think the only coach you would need was super jock and jill! glad swimming is filling a void and you have great friend to do it with!

ajh said...

Love the title. I think someone has slipped me some of those too! Hope you can run soon! I hated not running and now I am very paranoid it won't last!

Forward Foot Strides said...

Sorry to hear your ITB is acting ridiculous, hope you get well soon.

If you find the antidote for bitchy pills, let me know please.

HappyTrails said...

Drop the ITB stretching and roll, roll, roll. I found 1 out of 100 ortho/chiro websites that finally said "DO NOT stretch your ITB when it is irritated and inflamed as this will only exacerbate it". I started to see almost immediate improvement to my very angry ITB as soon as I stopped stretching it. I am convinced that the stretching was keeping it irritated and actually making it worse. The popular and conventional status quo 'solution' isn't always correct. But you are right - a positive thing has happened in that you enjoy and are a good swimmer. You have become a 'well-rounded' athlete! Always have to look for the silver lining.... :-)

Amanda@runninghood said...

So glad I found your blog. Hope to get caught up a bit on here. I thought I was the only one with a prescription to those bitchy pills! Glad to know someone else takes them too. :) Hope your injury improves. I found myself really enjoying swimming too once I started after my injury in August. I miss Colorado...born and raised and I hope to be back again to visit soon.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Time for some happy pills! Bummer about no running, but good to hear the swimming is going well.

Jennifer said...

Ya know, sometimes I take those pills on purpose! I hate that you are injured, but it's nice to hear your swimming is coming along. Let us know how the Dr's appointment went. Cheers!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
Yes, I know all about those bitchy pills:) I think I might of taken a few of those this week too!

Awesome news about the swimming! You are doing so well for someone who doesn't think she was doing so hot at the beginning of the year. I am amazed that you can go for one mile!!!! I don't even know if I could do a half of a lap:) Keep up the great work and I will watch for the announcement on the Tri registration! It was great to hear from you again Tara. Have a fantastic weekend!

Quinton J said...

yeah...but your Christmas tree pill is the off-the-hook

Kristin said...

I must take those pills occasionally! When I'm injured, I prefer the party pills, they make everything so much better :)

Keri said...

Bless your heart! I am so proud of you for the swimming!

I have been in a mood this week. The only thing that has kept me from killing someone is having a latte and Christmas music playing. If I cannot have either of those, it is enter at your own risk!

I so hope you get better soon. Are you coming to the fabulous state of Missouri for Christmas? Bobber Cafe anyone?

Alma said...

Arg. ITB issues are horrible. Do you have access to an acupuncturist? Do you think the PT really checked your biomechanics - maybe a different one would have some fresh ideas?

Jill said...

WTH, a blog post from Tara??? What's the world coming to?!?

ShutUpandRun said...

Damn ITB. Clearly you're not drinking enough beer to counteract the bitchy pills.

Glad you're liking swimming. I still hate it.

Miss you!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

not running is a perma bitch vacation for me... bless my husband for putting up with it when it happens

Katie A. said...

F-ing ITB! I hope you got some good news at the doctor!
Miss ya! So jealous you and Jill get to be all palsy-walsy with out me!
Let's chat soon!

Heather said...

Good job on the swim. That was a nice compliment your friend gave you - at least you aren't vertical anymore!! I think you should keep the leg kick. Sounds effective.

FruitFly said...

Well maybe being a triathlon champion is next up for you! I really hope you are able to get back to running soon though. I know I feel cranky after not running for two days. I can't even imagine what you're going through!

Jamie said...

Some of those pills may have found their way into my water supply. How frustrating for you with all the ITB issues I'm sorry. I hope it releases soon!

Jesse - Run To The Border said...

Sorry the ITB is still causing problems.
Although I try, I am a terrible swimmer. If I was left to swim instead of run, I'd probably just sit on my ass at home. 1900 yards is awesome!