Thursday, October 7, 2010

Please Cancel the Chicago Marathon, I Won't be able to Make it this Year.

I’ve pretty much gone AWOL from the blog world the last few weeks. I’ve been lurking and stalking most of you, but I have refrained from commenting. Why? Because every time I log onto my blog I see that little countdown widget for the Chicago marathon and it makes me sad. Currently, the widget says that it is two days until the Chicago Marathon on 10/10/10. I’m sad because I won’t be there; I’m injured.

What? I'm on a break.....


I think a couple of posts ago I mentioned about some piriformis and hip pain on my 20 miler. Well, I ran through the pain and developed ITB issues and I know better to screw around with ITB issues. I rested, I stretched, I foam rolled, and I walked around with bags of frozen peas duct taped all up and down my leg. Oh, whatever, you would do it too if you had to….don’t give me that snicker.

When I couldn’t make it through my last 12 miler before the marathon, I finally broke down and made an appointment to a see Sports Medicine doctor. He was great, he gave me a cortisone injection for the ole ITB and wrote me a prescription for physical therapy, and said “Have fun and call to let me know how you did on your marathon!” Don’t you love the sports medicine doctor? They never try and talk you OUT of running, but encourage you and tell you all sorts of good things about the Chicago marathon because they have ran it themselves at some point in time. They will give you cortisone injections and help you duct tape frozen bags of peas all over your body if it would just help you get to that marathon.

Anyway, when I went to my first PT appointment, I mentioned the piriformis and hip pain to the therapist and he found out the root cause of all my problems. My SI joint, which is the joint that holds the pelvis and the tailbone together, had come out of its socket and had gone back in at a tilted angle (I’m sure that I do not have this explanation medically correct, but whatever). This caused me to have piriformis issues, which led to the ITB issues. Isn’t it funny how one thing can affect so many other things?

So basically, I am a pain in my own ass. Literally.

Apparently, SI joint issues are not an easy fix and I will be in physical therapy over the next month strengthening my hips and learning proper ways to stretch, which puts me out of the marathon this weekend. I won’t lie to you, bagging the marathon hurts way worse then my ass does. I worked damn hard this time around in order to go sub-4. I had the confidence that my training, combined with the flat sea level course, would enable me to pull it off. However, it is that is what it is and I made the decision that the smart thing to do would be to pull out of the marathon and let my body (read as butt) heal. I will be back next spring and WATCH OUT because I will want revenge.

In the meantime, if you are wondering about the lack of cookies, pies, and chips in your local grocery; it is because I am consuming mass quantities of these things and there is not enough to go around. It is all needed in Denver, Colorado right now.

I am still going to Chicago this weekend (plane tickets are bought), so if you see a blimp wearing gold running shoes, that’s me. I still need to post a picture of me wearing my Gold Brooks that I special ordered for the race, maybe I will take a picture of me having a beer drinking marathon in Chicago instead.

Good luck to everyone who is running Chicago this weekend! A special good luck to my two buddies Marcia and Keri! Go girls!

Forgive me for not visiting your blogs. I will come back to you soon. I promise

31 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Bummer. But it looks like you picked a good year not to run as the forecast keeps going up and up. Looks like I'll have more war stories I can tell my grandkids...if I don't bag and do the full in Grand Rapids the following week.
Heal up that PIA. Tell me when you'll be at the expo!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Oh, so sorry to hear the news. You are so correct, in fact, I have totally walked around with an ice pack in my biking shorts. In fact, be careful, one time I left it too long and had a mild case of frost bite. lol :) Seriously!

Hope you enjoy the trip. Find something extra special to do, or drink, to ease the pain of not running the race.

Julie said...

I am so sorry Tara! I was wondering what happened to you but just figured you were pounding away with training. We could be running partners...I would love to do a sub 4 the next time around too:) Please take care of yourself and give your body the rest that it needs! You are still my bad ass Colorado blogger friend!! No worries there will be so many more marathons! Hugs:)

ShutUpandRun said...

I am SO sorry. I was going to email you today to see how you were feeling about the race. Guess you answered my question. I am really sorry. I know it is a huge letdown.

Funny thing is I am having something similar. Can we talk?

Anne said...

So sorry to read this Tara...I know how disappointed you must be. Still, it's smart to rest up and heal properly, so your butt can rock that sub-4 hour marathon real soon! Hugs.

HappyTrails said...

Oh Tara, I am bummed for you! As I read your post, it could have been a ditto for me! I have been having what sounds like the exact same symptoms as you - low back pain, pain in the butt, hips, and ITB. I do have a leg length descrepancy, which I have chosen to ignore for years - it may have come back to bite me in the butt! Ha, ha! I am consulting with my chiropractor for right now and will be interested in seeing how you progress. Also interesting - our local grocery store shelves have been cleared of all sugar laden treats. The ice cream aisle is clear, too. Blimp #2 sighting! :-)

Jamie said...

This sucks! I'm sorry :( at least you are making the smart decision about healing instead of doing more damage. Have fun in Chi -town! Wish I was around to meet up with you for a beer (or 2).

Molly said...

UGH. I was thinking of you earlier and was going to send you a FB message. That is just sucky lousy, I'm sorry! : (

Can't believe you were training so hard you pulled your bone out of the socket!

Hope you're finding comfort in a pile of frosting...and I know you'll have fun in Chi-town.

xo

Lisa said...

Oh no, that sucks! I'm so sorry this happened but you are doing the smart thing. You camE back strong last time so I have no doubt you will do the same this time too.

Take care!

ajh said...

Believe me you have my sympathy. I spectated the fall marathon I was supposed to run last weekend!

Laughed a ton at your cookies needed in Denver comment! I get that too!

Christina said...

Oh no. Bummer. I am sorry. Gee ... now you made me worry about my back/butt pain.

Anna said...

Ohhh Tara, that sucks. So bad. I really feel for you. I had ITB issues last year and you're right, you don't mess around with that. Big bummer... hope you do get to enjoy your mini-vacay in Chicago either way. Heal quickly!

Keri said...

I was so looking forward to possibly running with you! I am so bummed for you. I will be thinking of you while I am running. Call me if you decide to go to the Expo.

Slomohusky said...

frankly if i had couch that looked that comfy - sore butt/IT or not - i would park myself there for a month and not get up. forget chi town. no offense to any chitown people out there.

Alma said...

Damn. I'm so sorry. Save up all that energy and come back and kick ass in 2011.
In Chicago - maybe you can visit Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill and eat all his food & report back? I'm dying to go sometime.

Morgan said...

So sorry to hear you can't run the marathon! I def feel ya. This is an open invitation to join me at Mile 22.5 to spectate. I already have posters and extra cowbell. :) Shoot me an email if you're interested. Would love to have the company and we can commiserate over lost marathons together (RIP Grand Rapids Marathon 10.17.10)

redheadrunning @ gmail

Laurie said...

I think if they won't cancel the race for you, they should at least hold a moment of silence in your honor at the start...

Seriously though, I'm so sad for you. :( Hope PT goes well for you and you're back to feeling better than ever soon.

Just Run With It said...

Aaahhhh I am SO SO sorry! Dude, I feel your pain (both literally and emotionally). I had to bag the Denver marathon for the exact same damn reason! UGH. Stupid ITB and runners knee, crampin' my style. I'm telling you, I've never been more bitter in my life than these past 4 months of being injured. Maybe we should start a club. I've been swimming a lot, hoping that that'll strengthen my gimp hips to take the pressure off the knee. I hope it helps!

Have fun in Chicago this weekend anyways. Reward yourself for making the tough but smart decision not to run with lots of booze.

Travel safe!

Jill said...

I wonder if Chicago would postpone the race for us and we do it in the spring!!?? Let's write and ask :).

Well, you still have swimwithjill on Wednesdays - what more does a girl want in this world??!! Oh, I know...spinclasswithtara on Mondays.

Big hug girl! Go eat some yummy Chicago style pizza...just do NOT bring home a slice for me!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Love the image of you with peas taped to your leg. Don't love the image of you missing the marathon as much. =(

Good luck with the PT and enjoy Chicago as much as you can under the circumstances.

aron said...

such a bummer :( hang in there girl and have fun while you are there!! hope you heal up quickly!

Sammie Girl said...

Part of me says I know how much it sucks having to back out of a race (I was supposed to do NYC), the other part of me you paid your money what harm would doing the half do? This is coming from someone who is currently on recovery and hoping to get back on track within the next week. Just make sure you take care of yourself. Rest up and leave some cookies for the rest of us broke folk!

Meg said...

Hey Honey Bunny, I know you're disappointed but you are smart to take care of yourself. We only have ONE body and you work it hard so preserve your bod and energy and get stronger and healthier for the next one!
Enjoy Chicago and your trip!

Iron Mike said...

Wow that's tough, but most physicians agree. You need your ass.
I was sad reading your update at first, but then realized things can't be too bad, because you are totally rocking the Scooby Doo Fruit Snacks.
Awesome that you're still going to Chicago, cheering can be a ton of fun (and much less painful).
Take care of yourself, and come back stronger.

Katie A. said...

How did I miss this?
You're smarter than that Doc - it will pay dividends in the future of your running.
Hang in there girlie! Come out to California and I'll pace you to that sub 4 - I know you have it in you!!!!

Maggie B said...

Sooo sorry! I have issues w/ ITBS - sucks!!! Massage seems to work the best for me. Went through PT and that definitely helps too. Hang in there!!

Priyanka said...

I hope your hip heals up soon! I know how it feels. I've been pretty much doing the same...stalking blogs (as I am now) and sulking.

Jennifer said...

Bummer! But you are doing the right thing. And that's that's the hardest thing unfortunatly. You will come back stronger and richer for this! Good luck and godspeed with your PT!

Anna said...

You are so sweet to think of slow ass me to cheer me on for Sunday. :) I haven't figured out what I'm wearing yet... probably a white tech tee and black pants... but my race number is 14256. Also I may shout "TARA!!" as I cross the finish line to make it easy for you to spot me. :)

Lisa said...

Hey Tara,
Thanks for the comment on my blog. Great suggestions that I would never have thought of. I think I'll be munching on pretzel sticks this week. Love me some salt. Hope you are feeling better.

Kelley said...

Sorry about your injury it sounds quite painful - you had no choice. So now you can get better and decide what's next. Hope you enjoyed Chicago anyway.