Monday, October 18, 2010

Denver Marathon Weekend

Once upon a time (last Saturday), in a land far, far away (Denver), a group of Superheros (4 bloggers, 2 kids, and 2 spouses) met for a secret (not really) rendezvous in an enchanted castle (a.k.a. the brewery). They were each armed with their favorite weapons (cameras), which they whipped out at lightening speed and fired away shot after shot (everyone had to get pics for "the blog"). Once the shots (pictures) died down, they each ordered their own favorite magical elixir (beer) and discussed a sacred battle (running).

Non-nerd translation: This weekend was the Denver Rock and Roll Half Marathon and I had the pleasure of meeting up with a group of friends to hang out and have beers. Adam and Beth's husband Ken were racing the next morning, the rest of us were either injured, pregnant, or were kids.

Adam (I Am Boring), Jill (RunWithJill), Tara (I hope you know who I am by now), Ken (SUAR's husband), Beth (Shut Up and Run).



Beer does a body good. Adam proved with his marathon PR the next day. His wife Tiffany and Sam (SUAR's son) are in the background.



Discussing Quantum Physics. Oh who are we kidding, they're talking about running.



Jill and Tara. I love my swim buddy Jill.



Beth with her family. Beer, Emma, and Sam



More blogger pictures. I know, shocking isn't it. I'm sure the other patrons of the restaurant thought we were nuts with all of our cameras.



After lunch, we wished Ken and Adam good luck on their race and parted ways. Jill and I headed over to the Denver Marathon expo, where we sat in on a little seminar on running at altitude, which featured Olympic Gold Medalist, Frank Shorter ; Olympian and Denver Half Marathon winner, Alan Culpepper and former marathon world record, Steve Jones. It was pretty interesting.



After the seminar, we did a little shopping at the expo. Here's my goods:

The shirt, bag, and hat came as a trio and was a great deal at the Run Girl Run table. I just really wanted that big pink bag. I could fit Alan Culpepper in that bag. Very roomy.



Run Girl Run socks and a RunLikeaGirl long sleeve running jersey.



My husband and I had planned on going downtown to watch the race on Sunday morning, but he woke up with a swollen, red achy arm and he went on a trip to the urgent care instead of the race. They took blood tests and are still trying to figure out what the heck is wrong.

Good job to everyone who raced this weekend!

26 comments:

shana said...

waaaahaaaaa!!!!!

just going around to all of your blogs crying.
i missed seeing everyone.
you found good stuff at the expo - i bought an over-priced jacket, but that's what I was there for. ;-)

elaine said...

sounds like cellulitis. Oh. Hi. I'm Elaine. Great blog

FruitFly said...

Looks like you totally scored at the expo. Nice!

Iron Mike said...

I like how one of the superheroes deceives the enemy with crutches.
And hope your husband's arm recovered, that's kinda scary.

ajh said...

First I hope your husband is okay! Second I want all the Run Girl Run stuff. I love it. Bloggy meet up looks very fun!

Molly said...

that's wacky about the Hubs arm...hope it's okay now!

I think you should give up accounting and write storybooks...for runners.

: )

Anne said...

Really hope your husband is okay!

What a cool bloggy meetup...I want to go to one of those some day :)

Love your purchases!

Teamarcia said...

So jealous I'm not there with all of you! We need to shop for our next destination race. Nice expo swag!

ShutUpandRun said...

Hey girl, loved seeing you as always. Great recap.

How's the hubby?

Emily said...

Feel better husband!

And I love the nerdy description- it's so accurate of a blogtastic meet up!

Runners Fuel said...

How fun! Hopefully you'll get better son and find out what caused that.

BrianFlash said...

Nice blog meet up story. I found my way here through Adam's blog and saw you were from Columbia, MO. I grew up near there (small town of Glasgow) and live in St. Louis now.

Bust your ass on the rehab. Ah - maybe not such a good choice of words...

Jill said...

OMG, what is wrong with my forehead? GROSS!! Remember when I said I had to have bangs? That's why! But we are so cute. I'm so glad you got to boost Colorado's economy and I got to drool over your purchases. You ROCK!

Katie A. said...

You Denver/CO peeps sure know how to have a good time! I'm always so jealous you get to hang out with out me!!! Waaaa!

Hope the hubbs is okay!

Laura said...

Oh sounds like a great weekend! Love your pics...you are SO like me now. I used to be a camera freak, now it's you :)

I'm sorry to hear about Rick. Let me know what is going ok--k?

Slomohusky said...

fun post! blogger meet ups are fun. you get to know so much through each others blogs - so when you actually meet? It feels like old friends getting together. thanks Tara!

Slomohusky said...

btw - my pix on megs blog - dont bother. i hate running photos of me. however, when it comes to meg? you just can't say no!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

One of these days I am going to get to meet all of you. Sounds like a fun time. Hope your hubby is OK!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

eiik the end of that post was no good, hope his arm is no longer swollen.

glad you go to meet everyone and still have some fun while not racing

Jamie said...

Hope your husband is okay now. Scary stuff.

Looks like a fun pre-race meetup with bloggers!

Quinton J said...

Wow...a union of some of my favorite blogger heavy wieghts (not in pounds...in bad ass'ness). I'm not sure whta happened to my invite. Damn Canada Post.

Meg said...

I hope your hubby is okay, scary!
It looks like you had fun with your Colorado Gang of Girls, you're all so cute and fit!
Your expo purchases looked fun, I love the expo!

Priyanka said...

Love the expo loot, especially the pink bag...I want one too! Hope your hubby is ok!

Adam said...

It was so great to meet you!! I need to get better about buying stuff at the Expo. Mostly I'm in it for the free Lara bars.

Julie said...

Hey Lady! I think it is great that you got to meet all of your bloggy friends again! Great pictures...it looks like a blast! I love going to the expos too!

Sabrina Hayes said...

Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciated them. You and SUAR are such an inspiration. Thanks for being there!