Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicago Beer-a-thon 10-10-10

Here's me in my $140 Chicago Marathon t-shirt and my wickedly fast gold "blingie" shoes. Due to my butt injury, the shoes are just sort of idle right now, but they'll be wickedly fast one of these days.

I really don't have a butt injury, it's a little more complicated then that (my SI joint in my lower back came out and caused glute pain, which led to ITB issues), but for simplicities sake, let's just call it a butt injury shall we?

I tried to angle just right so you could see both shirt and shoes. I look like I just got done running, but since I can't run yet, I swam instead and put the outfit on to pose for you guys. You're welcome.



I went to Chicago even though I couldn't run the race. I am not going to lie and tell you that it wasn't hard to go, I didn't realize how much this race really meant to me until injury stepped in between me and my sub-4 goal. It's easy for me to say that my heart wasn't in this marathon training, but looking back, I think my heart was totally in tune, but I put so much pressure on myself to go sub-4 that I was almost scared to run the dang thing. It wasn't until after my injury that I realized how much this race signified to me. Today marks the one year anniversary of my bilateral pulmonary embolism. This race was a chance to prove to myself how far I have come since then. No worries, I'll take revenge next year.

When we arrived in Chicago Saturday morning, the 10-10-10 signs were everywhere. They were even on my L train pass. I wasn't sure how I would survive the weekend without a total meltdown, but my husband and I boarded the L train and went to see our longtime friends. Once with friends, the beer started flowing and I started to feel a little better. Beer does that.

Me and my beer breath hoped a taxi and went downtown to check out the expo. I even got to see Dean Karnazes, but didn't get a picture because my camera battery had died. Grrrrr.

I did manage to get a couple of shots before the battery died.





I felt the excitement at the expo! I wanted to race so bad, so I turned in my timing chip. I knew that if that timing chip were still on my bib, I would have been at that starting line the next morning. That wouldn't have been a good move for my butt injury. That would have been a hot 26.2 mile walk.

I was sad when I left the expo and hopped a taxi ride back to friends and more beer. Now when I say that I had a 10-10-10 beer a thon, I really only mean that I had a total of probably 4 beers over the course of a day, but I'm not a big drinker so.....WHEW !

Congrats to all you Chicago runners out there! Conditions were NOT good for this race and each and every one of you are awesome in my book! Congrats again!!!!

Honestly, I am glad to put this weekend behind me, it is a total relief. This weekend, I will be spectating the Denver Rock and Roll Marathon and Half Marathon.

Speaking of the Denver Marathon, I received an e-mail yesterday from my local Runner's Roost about the marathon this weekend and one of the things that caught my eye was this statement:

It's not to late to take advantage of the Brooks VIP Porta Potty Pass! .

Really? It sounds kind of crazy, but after standing in a porta potty line that was a mile long and then finally having to make the desicion to either pee or miss the start at my last race, I would pin that pass on my shirt right next to my gels and proudly use it.

Good luck to all of you Denver, Kansas City, and all other racers this weekend!! Best of luck to you all!

26 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Marathons are over-rated. Beer-a-thons on the other hand...

Jesse said...

The marathon shirt looks good. $140 good? Only when paired with gold shoes.

I've heard good things about the Brooks Porta-potties. I'd spring for them if they were offered. But then again, I'm the kind of guy who uses the blue thrones at least 6 or 7 times before the race starts.

Emz said...

totally $140 good. I'd have paid $300 for it!!

Love Chicago.

Hate butt injuries.

run4may said...

Sorry to hear about your butt injury. It's a bummer you couldn't run chicago, however, I think it was a wise decision. I wish you a quick recovery.

Shana said...

I would like a mara-beer-a-thon - run-drink-run-drink-repeat.
That's my race.

Katie A. said...

I think I would have take the beer-a-thon over that HOT marathon any day!
And, just like you, I would have had to turn that chip in also - the temptation would have been too much!
Hope your ass is feeling better!

Teamarcia said...

So bummed I missed you this weekend! I almost wish I had a butt injury worthy of missing the race for. As you know you missed out on nothing...unless you have a thing for running in blistering heat.
Now heal up that behind and let's plan our 2011 revenge race!

misszippy said...

I admire you for going to spectate, two weekends in a row! That's a hard thing to do when you wish you were out there. Speedy healing!

Jennifer said...

I'm in with Jamoosh- Yea for beer-a-thons! sorry for your butt! Get well soon.

ShutUpandRun said...

Yay for spectating (w/or w/o crutches) and drinking beer in Denver.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

OMG the vip porta potty was one of the best things ever in seattle. kudos to you for going and trying to make the best of the weekend, I know it was tough.

Jill said...

I thought I noticed a beer gut at the pool last night - no more lollygagging at the pool, girl!!!!

;)

Molly said...

Love the shoes, but it looks like you have to pee.

Are you going to have some Denver beer while you spectate??

: )

ajh said...

Can't wait until you can use the shoes! You will rock it soon!

Jamie said...

I like the idea of a beer-a-thon. Chicago is definitely the place to have that :) Hope your butt issues heal soon so we can see those shoes in action!

Anna said...

Glad you were still able to have a decent time in Chicago, despite. Perhaps I will wear a white t-shirt with a big heart and "Tara and her gold shoes" written inside this weekend. ;)

Iron Mike said...

I find it very interesting that you would have toed the line (well, i guess like thousands of people from the line but whatever) if you had that timing chip. I wouldn't have considered that. I probably would have worn it and tried to set off security alarms at the mall.
And, you may agree, but a $140 shirt should have some freakin sleeves.
Overall, considering all I've read about blot clots in the past few months, I'd say marathon or no-marathon, as the case was, you've come plenty far. And you can only go further.

Meg said...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with drowning your sorrows once in a while. I girl has got to cope...
you'll be back in no time!

HUGS, keep us posted and please, don't avoid blogging. I've missed your updates!

Sammie Girl said...

Glad to hear you still went to Chicago and had a good time. It really sucks when you have to back out of a race! But you made the right decision. I did San Diego injured - STUPID! The course was bad enough (might have had 5 miles worth anything, rest of it was highways and city bluh [Denver has parks and all sorts of stuff]), throw in being injured on top of that and it was just horrible!
Love teh shoes, I am sure they are getting ready for you to take them out ONCE YOU GET BETTER!

Keri said...

You look cute in the marathon shirt! So bummed that I missed you at the expo.

I hope we both run it next year!

Have you thought about running the St. Louis marathon in April?

Julie said...

I am so glad that you went to watch the Chicago runners! No worries...you will have that sub 4 in the future:)

Enjoy the weekend!

FruitFly said...

A VIP potty pass - very interesting!

I'm glad you went. I'm sad you couldn't run. But I'm also glad you haven't lost your spirit. I know we'll be seeing that sub-4 out of you in no time at all!
~RR

HappyTrails said...

Nice outfit - especially like the gold shoes. Cautiously optimistic on the running this week - looks like a leg length discrepancy has been causing my pain in the butt!!! Hope your PT is going well!

Quinton J said...

LOL...clearly the angle of the first photo was to show the shirt, the shoes AND the butt injury. I'm new...are you still planning a marathon down the road?

Adam said...

BTW, this is me :) Great to meet you on Saturday!

Andrew Opala said...

Hi Tara ... Jill has praised you and Adam has put in a good word - so I'll give you some of my time ready a blog that seems quite interesting so far!