Friday, September 10, 2010

Pimpin' - One Month Out from Chicago Marathon.

I am (holy crap) one month out from the Chicago Marathon. Can someone say "Whoot Whoot!' The thought occurred to me over labor day weekend that I really need to break in a new pair of shoes before the marathon. Well, brace yourselves, but I've decided on these beautiful (Ok, don't laugh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder) puppies.




I know. Contain yourselves. They're cool, aren't they (humor me).

A friend of mine clued me onto them last week when she e-mailed me a picture. I saw them and was instantly smitten. They are the same brand shoe that we both normally buy, but this is the "limited edition" (I got 'em cheap cuz no one wants to order them) version. I told her to "DO IT! ORDER THOSE SHOES!" I then e-mailed the photo to Jill over at "Swim with Jill" and she ensured me that I would be WICKEDLY fast in those shoes.

So I ordered them.

I am now thinking that I need to order the purple pimp hat


and the money necklace to go along with my gold shoes.



What do you all think?

Ok, maybe not.

Anyway, I'm almost there folks. I did my first of two 20 milers over labor day weekend. Let me say this...it wasn't good. I had been sick for most of last week and in all honestly, I had no business doing the long run at all, but I needed the miles, so I did it. Stats are 20 miles in 9:25 average pace at a 176 average HR. Now, last week I did my 18 miler at an 8:52 average with a 169 average HR, so I just have to assume that the higher HR was due to my being somewhat ill.

The sad thing is, now my butt hurts. Oh it hurt a little bit before, but now I am REALLY in pain. Like haven't been able to walk very well pain for the last few days. I think it is that piriformis syndrome that I have heard a lot about and I have been trying to stretch, foam roll, and "drink lot's of wine" to try and relieve the pain. I hope it works. I think that the "drink lots of wine" is helping the most, so I'll keep at it. You have to do what you have to do right? I can't miss another fall marathon. Hell, I'll think that I'm jinxed.

Ok. that's it from this end. I've been blog slacking this week due to work, but it's the weekend, so I'll be catching up with you guys soon! In the meantime have a great weekend.

Also, go check out Molly and wish her well on her very first marathon this weekend! GO MOLLY!

32 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Who is it: Michael Johnson that wears the golden track spikes? Usain Bolt too right? So you're in great company! I kinda like em!
And I'm pretty sure I've got that pimp hat floating around my closet...not in purple though...I I had a purple one fo sho I'd be sporting it on 10/10/10.
No worries on the pace/HR of your 20, it's just cuz you were sick. You'll be awesome after the taper.
Thanks SO much for your Lupus donation BTW--awesomeness!

Keri said...

Well, at least you will be easy for me to spot at the Chicago marathon!

Glad you got your 20 in, I am going to run 20 tomorrow. I did not drink any alcohol tonight, so it should be much easier than my 18 mile run! We have to meet up in Chicago. I really think you are going to have a great race, especially since you are running so well at such a high altitude.

Slomohusky said...

Sweet Kicks! I would've never thought Brooks would have this in them. My little running shoe company near my hometown. Great job on the 20 mile trainer no matter the pain and discomfort. Chicago is pretty much in the bag! No jinxing here.

Molly said...

You've got to get yourself a mouth grill to match those babies...maybe gold with diamonds that spell out 26.2???

I love the healing power of vino, hope it helps your hienie.

Thanks for the shout out, and for all the encouragement you've given me while training. HOLY COW I can't believe my run is tomorrow. I'm getting excited, a little scared, but mostly excited!

Jennifer said...

Love the shoes! The price of gold must have dropped way down for them to be so cheap! You excitement is contagious! Yea on the sore butt thing, I have three stretches as part of my routine that I do every day to keep my butt happy. Good luck!

Jill said...

We just need to get you in the pool more doing some kickboard kicking to get that crazy butt to behave itself. Maybe another foot in the hole will help pull that muscle back into place. Wow, your HR is high for a long run. Maybe that's cuz I'm old and mine is so low. Ha. Anyhoo, yep those gold shoes are going to make you scream across that start line and keep that pace even-steven throughout. So wish I were going with you :(...but you know I'll be there in spirit screaming my lungs out for you here!!

Jesse said...

Those shoes are awesome! How could you not run fast in those?

Katie A. said...

Whoo hoo! One month! Can't wait! Those shoes are the bomb! I think they will totally make you faster!
And I will give you $50 if you wear that pimp hat during the race! Challenge is on! Hahahaha!
Hugs to you! Good luck this weekend with your long run!

misszippy said...

Ok Michael Johnson--now you're all set for your world record at Chicago!

sisterbison said...

Those shoes are awesome! I'll keep an eye out for you at the Marathon start- you just might be the only one in gold shoes!

ajh said...

Roll around on a tennis ball for the piriformis.

Middle Name Marie said...

Those are awesome kicks for your race--now I will recognize you in the windy city!

ShutUpandRun said...

Those shoes rock Jay Z.You are way cool. I am suffering from periformass syndrome too. I will attempt 20 tomorrow and it will hurt me. Take care of yourself, girl.

Runners Fuel said...

cute shoes (awesome hat & chain to match)! Good luck on the race next month!!

Alma F. said...

DAAAAANG Girl! I LOVE those shoes and I think you need to add to your attire...a gold tooth. Yes. Pimpin' Chi-town proper with the bling. I love Brooks but most recently got talked into a pair of NIKE Pegasus and am regretting that they are so. plain. vanilla.

FruitFly said...

Obviously you'd look ridiculous running in that purple hat .... WITHOUT those gold shoes. But since you have the gold, you MUST accessorize! This is your time to work that hat!!
~RR

Shana said...

totally dig those new rides!

You'll be the Usain Bolt of marathoners in those bad boys.

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
You are so freaking funny! I love your posts because I always end up smiling or laughing! I love the pimpin out idea...you could totally pull it off:)

OMG, you have four weeks until Chicago! I think that your training has gone by so fast. It is so hard to believe that marathon day is just right around the corner! You are going to do great:) Keep up the awesome work Tara!

Christine said...

LOVE the shoes and the pimping out fit - why not! :) Good luck on your race

HappyTrails said...

That is some nice bling for your race! We want good pics if the fedora and gold chains make it on the start line!!! Have a great week and enjoy summer while we still have it...

Iron Mike said...

Crippling butt pain may seem unusual, but that's why most pimps also fancy a cane.

Otherwise, great pace on that 20-mile considering your bout with sickness. That's gonna translate into a nice race.

Laura said...

You go girl! Those shoes aren't that bad :-) But they are pretty gold...hehe. Glad you got your 20 miles in & sorry you haven't been feeling well. Miss you guys!

Jamie said...

I kind of love those shoes! Good things will definitely be happening when you wear your pimp shoes in chi-town! Hope the butt feels better too. The lots of wine program seems to work the best for me as well :)

aron said...

those are some beautiful flashy shoes :) love them!

hope the butt feels better soon :(

Kelley said...

Sweet shoes! They look fast for sure :)

saucony running shoes said...

The shoes look so nice,but I love the purple hat! :D

Adam said...

that is SOOOO exciting!! I heard that the banners are up already too.

Love the shoes. But you're right - you're going to have to have at least a pimp hat or something on.

BTW - 20 milers are only good for me about 2/3 of the time. Power through!

Keri said...

Hey! Do you want to meet up in Chicago? I would love to meet you! My email is k_dodson1@hotmail.com.

shannon said...

I totally love the shoes! I would buy them myself and feel fabulous running in them! Your 18 and 20-miler paces were great. Marathons are so much fun. The race atmosphere during the race will make you run faster than you ever thought you could. Good luck in Chicago! :)

Teamarcia said...

Oh no! Bagging Chicago?? I'm so sorry to hear about the IT. So sick of these 11th hour injuries! Feel better and I still hope you decide to come!

Kristin said...

Good luck in Chicago! I love that race.

Kevin said...

These are some pimpin shoes. I love them

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/