Friday, August 6, 2010

A Little Gratitude and a G/G2 Natural Review


You guys are great. I hadn’t blogged in over a month because quite honestly I have been overwhelmed by running, blogging, work, etc. However the minute I put it out there that I was having a hard time with motivation, you guys came at me full force with all sorts of great advice and suggestions. Thanks to you all!

I had a great run last night, which included speedwork at the track. The weather was cloudy and cool, which I think helped A LOT, but I went in with an open mind and nailed all of the paces for my speedwork. Not only did I nail them, but I had a negative split for each session. I’m going to take my training one day at a time, but last night’s run was a huge confidence booster.

I rewarded myself with a Butthead beer from the Tommyknocker brewery. I believe this was another one of your suggestions; to reward myself after a good run. Just saying.



Ok, switching gears here. Most of you who have been following me for awhile now know that I am a vegetarian and I try and make it a huge point in my life to eat as organic and clean as possible (besides all of the wine and beer). A couple of months ago (yea, I’m just getting around to it), I was sent samples of the new G and G2 Natural to try. Now you’ve all heard of Gatorade and I am definitely one of those people who have always used Gatorade, mainly with biking (but I have used it after a run), so I was pleased to try their new product.

The natural versions provide the same hydration and performance benefits as Gatorade Thirst Quencher and G2, yet are made with all natural ingredients (READ: No nasty chemicals to put into your machine of a body!). So for geeks like me who search the ingredients list before I buy something; this is totally up my alley.

The G Natural provides: 14 grams of carbs (50 calories) for fuel, 110 mg of sodium and 30 mg of potassium to help maintain electrolyte balance and hydration.
While the low calorie G2 Natural provides: 5 grams of carbs (20 calories) with the same amount of sodium and potassium as the full calorie version.

I tried both of them after two separate long runs and they tasted very similar to the regular Gatorade and G2. In fact they tasted really good, especially after a long, sweaty run. I would probably be more inclined to purchase the G Natural rather then the G2 Natural because the G2 includes Reb A, which is a stevia derived sweetener, which is used to replace sugar. After a hard workout, I am looking for the sugar AND the calories, so I would definitely reach for the G Natural. But they were both very tasty.

You can purchase the G Natural and the G2 Natural at certain select Whole Foods stores. Go to the Gatorade website to further check out the product here.

13 comments:

Emz said...

YAY for rewards. At least yours come at a price that won't break the bank. ;)

YAY on the great run. Seriously, the best feeling ever [a good/great run] so happy for you!!

Teamarcia said...

A great run is the best confidence booster! Hopefully some of your good mojo will rub off on me in CO!

Leah B. said...

These look awesome and I want to try the naturals! I'm also vegitarian and try to eat organic when I can!

ajh said...

Great job on the track workout!

Jill said...

Yay for your awesome run, girlie :). If you ever need a cheerleader at the track, or someone to scream at you to run faster (you don't need that, look at you speeding along with negative splits)then I'm your man. Or woman :). I bet it was all that powerful swimming we did the night before that got you all pumped up for the intervals, eh?? :)

I saw that Gatorade at Whole Foods today and then I saw your blog with you holding it. Freaky!

Happy weekend :).

Christina said...

I'm happy you had a great run.
And thanks for reviewing those products.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the review. If I could find G natural I would definitely try it!

Molly said...

High five for that great run! It's uncanny how the weather can affect a run.

I've been curious about the G2, interesting that there is stevia in it.

Glad you're feeling better!

Jennifer said...

So happy you had a great run, you deserve the best! (And all the beer you want!)

HappyTrails said...

Hopefully you will start to regain your running "flow" and be excited for your marathon. They don't show the makeup of that G Natural on their site - what is in it that is different from Gatorade? Hope you have good mojo for the weekend!!!

Meg said...

Great run for you, you sound chipper and happy! I need to try the Thirst Quencher! Thanks!

ShutUpandRun said...

Great review; I hadn't tried this yet and would like to do so. Hope all's well with you and you're getting your motivation back.

Slomohusky said...

Hi Tara! Great to hear from ya. Look forward to hearing how Chicago goes.