Monday, August 30, 2010

Gettin' My Crazy On.....

I look really weird with the zombie eyes and the swollen face. That's what you get with an 18 mile run and a gallon of recovery beer. Ok, it was only one beer, so I'm not sure why my face is so swollen, hell maybe it's always like that.



"Only crazy running people get out of bed at 5:00 in the morning to eat breakfast and prepare to go on an 18 mile run." I thought as I lay in bed in the darkness. I snuggled deeper into the bed and enjoyed the cool air and thought about going back to sleep. However, the temperature was supposed to be hovering around 90 degrees on Sunday and I had an 18 miler on my schedule, so I rolled out of bed and prepared to get my crazy on.

That's what us runner crazies do right? We have no choice. I could wait until the heat of the day, but I would gripe and groan about the heat, I could wait until the evening, but then there is that Sunday evening beer that I would have to contend with (hmmm....that wouldn't be a pretty 18 miler), so I got up early and left by 6:30. And yes, that would be AM for you non runners out there. That's probably late for some runners; I'm a bit of a lazy sloth.

The plan was to do a three mile warm up and then alternate between goal pace, faster then goal pace, and slower then goal pace over 15 miles. The last mile was cool down.

It went pretty well and I must say that the run felt pretty good. Nothing spectacular happened. I didn't run out of water, I didn't accidentally spit on myself (snot was at a minimum), I didn't have any stomach issues (that seems to be only during races....lucky me), and I didn't get a salt mustache (got up early to beat the heat). After the run, my legs were a little on the tired side and I felt a little nauseous from the heat. I looked at my husband and said: "Who does this? This is crazy, why am I doing this?" He just shrugged and left me to ponder why I am training for a marathon. I'll have to think about that one.

Average overall pace was 8:52. Average HR was 169.

Nelly's "Just a Dream" got me through this run. I think I played it a minimum of 50 times. I just kept telling myself that the pain was just a dream. What tune is getting you all through your runs lately?

28 comments:

Anne said...

Congrats on the 18-miler!!! I've got my first of those coming up in a few weeks...feeling a little scared :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

BTW, runners aren't crazy...it's everyone else ;) :)

Leah B. said...

Great job on your 18! Awesome pace :) I'm actually sick of all my running music. I'm in desperate need of a new playlist!

Keri said...

Yeah for getting your 18 miles done!

Love that song! Um, so I had too much wine to drink on Saturday night, so I slept in instead of doing my 18 miler. I did, however, run on the treadmill last night and ran all 18 miles...hungover. Oh, I did it just to prove to Ken that I was not hungover! Pretty sure my sweat smelled like white wine.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

wow what a great run! you have come back so strong it's really great to see!

also I can't tell your face is swollen

Runners Fuel said...

Good job getting up and running.

run4may said...

That will be me this upcoming weekend. The song that has helped me recently- just the way you are by Bruno mars

Whitney said...

Oh foam roller - how I love thee!!

Thomas said...

Great 18 miler workout, congrats! Love the foam roller... just seeing your photos makes me squirm in estacy, LOL.

onebadrunner said...

really? 8:52 avg? well then, ignore my brag from my 2 miler.

on the flip side - YOU ROCK!! 18 is a lot of miles.

and - I like your shirt. ;-)

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

I'm a later morning runner too, if I am not meeting some of my crazy friends who prefer 5:15 :) I prefer 6:00-7:00 am.

Great run! You will be flying in Chicago! Very exciting!

Laura said...

I'm currently jamming out (training for my 5K hahaha your lazy sister) to Down with the Sickness, Headstrong, & Walk it Out...random mix I know but that is what I'm currently jamming to :)

Congrats on run!

ajh said...

You had an awesome run! So jealous!

Jennifer said...

Excellent job on a great run. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who sometimes plays songs multiple times!

Alma F. said...

Nice pace & HR for your run! I'm so envious of your long runs. I'm really looking forward to when I can finally build up some distance :)

Jill said...

You're so hard-core, devoted, marathon training woman!! I got up at 6:00 and ran a whopping 5.5...and I was dying in that 74 degree heat. I'm so glad things are going well for you, girl. It must have been that beer you had PRE-run, too, huh? You know...the beer we stole by cutting in that massive line!! Ok, it's later than I want to be up so I'm not even making any sense. Hope to see you swimming Wed. And we'll SWIM, not TALK!! Ha!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
Holy crap! You are fast...I just can't go that fast on those darn the longer runs! You are doing so well with your marathon training:)

About the bike...how much was it? Just curious, I am wondering if I am going to have to spend at least $1,000 for a good one. THis just sucks! I want one right now but want to make sure it is the perfect one:)

I hope that you have a great day! Keep up the awesome work Tara!

Molly said...

oh I can relate to this post on many levels! I curse myself when I get up in the dark for those long runs....but I love how I get finished and have the entire day to just do whatever. Like eat, and drink. : )

nice job!

Teamarcia said...

That's a peppy 18 mama!
Hey were can I get one of those hot tees?

Erin said...

Congrats on dominating the 18er! You're a beast. Also, your puppy/golden retriever is the cutest thing ever. I might steal him/her.

akjenniekt said...

great job on getting up and running the 18 miles :)!

Beth said...

I feel crazy too when I am driving to the gym at 5am but sometimes it feels like the good kind of crazy! Congrats on 18 miles, whohoo! I love my foam roller, it changed my life….well at least how much my legs and back hurt ;)

Kelley said...

I am looking forward to reading more about your marathon training as I have only started week 2 training for my first marathon.

HappyTrails said...

Nice Pace on the long run - it got WARM early on Sunday, didn't it. If it's going to stay dark until 7, it could at least stay cool...?

Jamie said...

I always feel like a crazy person when I am up hours earlier on the weekend to run than I ever am during the week to work. Nice job on the 18! Glad it went well and that's an excellent pace!

Iron Mike said...

I'm not sure that a lazy sloth would be up by 6:30AM either.
I like those early weekend runs because you feel like you're the only person awake enjoying the world and you have so much accomplished when you return home (well, except normal person stuff like actual housework) while everyone else is still in bed.
And your previous salt mustache inducing post...during my 1st marathon training, I drove to strategic parts of my long run course and hid drinks/gels. Worked pretty well.

FruitFly said...

I'm so envious! a) I'd love to be a morning runner versus a night runner b) I honestly don't think I can ever do 18 miles c) you have a foam roller!

Adam said...

Ewwwwww, foam roller. Why isn't your face in extreme pain in that picture????

Way to knock out the 18 miler!

Yes, that is exactly what hard core runners do. Act like crazy people!

Tricia said...

awesome job!