Monday, August 23, 2010

Drained the Camel

My daughter and my puppy. Two of my favorite things (besides running)




My long run this weekend was 16 miles. The temperature here reached a high of 98 degrees yesterday and by the end of my run I was caked in salt, sweat, and I had drained my 72 ounce camelback bone dry. I even had a salt mustache on my upper lip. It was mega attractive.

I still can’t believe that I drained that whole camelback, I mean, if it doesn’t cool off soon I’m going to have to strap a Culligan water tank to my back for my 18 and 20 milers. I would look ridiculous, especially with a salt-stache. I was without water for the last three and a half miles and I have never been more miserable, yet I could not find a water source to refill. My husband met me at the end of my run with a huge jug of cold water. I decided right then and there that I would marry him all over again. I gratefully took the jug and slurped it down while my husband moved as far away from me as he could. I suppose I did smell a little.

Other then the heat, lack of water, sweat, and the stache, my run felt pretty good. My training schedule read: low key 16 miler, so I did a six mile warm up at a 9:49 pace, 8 miles at a 9:02 pace, and then did a two mile cool down. Average Pace was 9:23 and Average HR was 165. Low key felt good. Next weekend I will be working on alternating between goal pace and faster then goal pace, so it should be a tough run. I’ll be shopping for that Culligan tank.

The rest of the afternoon was so hot that I did my best to stay indoors. I took my teenage daughter back to school shopping for clothes/school supplies and then caught up on my Yahoo news. Did you know that there were twelve Duggar children that fell ill last week (you know, the reality people with the million children)? And that the dad had to care for all twelve children? I don’t know about you, but 12 puking Duggars would be enough reason for me to not have that 20th child.

Rounding out the top news stories were: “Britney Spears Loses her Twitter Crown to Lady GaGa” and “8 Things You Don’t Know About Toothpaste”. Good stuff on Yahoo top news.

Ok, that’s about it from this end. I’ll be seeing you all soon!

23 comments:

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Slomohusky said...

No much going on today?

Which 72 oz camel do you have? I need an upgrade. How does it feel carrying a full load? (okay that sounds bad?)

Congrats on the run though!!! Am I invited to wedding this time? :)

Molly said...

that does not sound like a fun run at all, nice job sticking it out, stache and all!

Jamie said...

oh goodness I would have melted in that heat and no water towards the end. Congrats on sticking with it and finishing strong!

akjenniekt said...

I don't think I could walk around in that kind of weather let alone run! What can I say, I'm an AK girl :).
Great job on the run!

ajh said...

Thanks for the news update! There are many reasons I would not want that 20th child with my sanity being at the top of the list. Good luck staying hydrated.

FruitFly said...

In very distantly related news, Lady Gaga's tour bus was spotted, photographed and printed in the local paper here last week. Oh yeah, BIG news. Too big for Yahoo news I bet!

If I ever find myself cool enough to have a salt mustache I am totally getting pictures of it!

Katie A. said...

Bwahahaha! Loved this! You are a rockstar for finishing and keeping a great pace! I'm most impressed ;)

Thanks for the Duggar update - I was wondering about them ;)

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Nice run, especially for a low key run. You will be flying in Chicago with the cool weather that should arrive by then.

Teamarcia said...

Oh come on it's a dry heat--suck it up....but then I guess there's the no oxygen aspect.
Love the pic--a couple of beauties!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
First of all, your daughter is beautiful:)

Nice job on your long run! You kept up a great pace in this crazy heat! Your hubby sounds like a great guy, having ice cold water for you after a long run! He is a keeper for sure:)

Keep up the awesome work! Good to have you back Tara!

Alma F. said...

holy cow that is hot. nice work toughing it out in that heat.

Leah B. said...

Good job on your 16 miler. It must have been hot to finish off 72 oz! You kept a great pace through it all.

Anna said...

The heat has sucked lately, hasn't it?

Why is there no picture of the salt 'stache?!?! Must. See.

Sammie Girl said...

Love the babies. Both of them are beautiful!
Awesome job on the run. #1 – 98 degrees, nope! Not running outside! (I did a 7 miler Saturday EARLY morning just to avoid any sort of heat). #2 – You gotta love those who support us (providing post run nutrition [water, juice, snacks], put up with our post run odor [and salt stains], and cheer us on at races) #3 – great pace! I am hoping to be able to do a 5K at that pace one of these days (assuming I can stay injury free for my than 5 minutes)
Not back to school yet? My boys started last week, whatever happened to the good ol’ days of Memorial Day (ish) to Labor Day?
I am sorry, but the idea of having 12 kids (let alone 19 [and working on 20]) completely baffles me. I have two boys and I feel I don’t give them enough attention (ok, I am single parent who works, goes to school and races). I am glad they can afford that many kids financially, but I feel they are not able to afford that many emotionally. I make sure I find some time for one-on-one time with each of my kiddos if it that means dragging them to run some errands with me while the other kiddo goes to their activity. To each his own I guess!

TX Runner Mom said...

I am sooo ready for some fall weather! Good job on toughing it out in the heat!

Keri said...

I always tell my husband that there is no way someone would try to kidnap me on a long run in the summer. They would take one look and smell at me and hightail it out of there!

I am sure the salt stache was gorgeous!

Runners Fuel said...

You are so brave, no water for the last 3 1/2 miles!

NY Wolve said...

72 ounce Camelback...wow. Does it feel heavy? I love the salt feel after a run. For me I don;t get a stache, I just get like sand on my face. In one of my post marathon shots, I had it all over my face and I smiled.

Jill said...

Today's a gorgeous day out there, hope you're going to do about a gillion miles so you don't have to do any this weekend, when it's 96 again. Are you doing the Skirt Chaser? Will I see you there? Can I pay you to take my 60-hour shift on Saturday???? Questions, Question!! Ok, this comment has absolutely nothing to do with your post...sorry. ADD in full-bloom today. Love ya!

Anne said...

You are amazing, woman!

Jennifer said...

Love the idea of a salt-stache! I am just getting back from my 13 miler and licking mine off right now! Time for a shower! Great job on the run, Cheers!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

seriously the humidity in miami made it horrible for me to do my super long runs early this summer and you would think there are water fountains here...nope very hard to find!

Your pacing is amazing! I'm hoping to hold a 9 min for like 6 miles of 10 this weekend