Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Marathon Training Starts this Week!

Don't be jealous, but here is a super hot photo of me after my run test. Quick, someone get me a beer, I need fuel!


My Chicago Marathon training officially starts this week; I’m so excited! I think I am more excited about this second marathon then I was about the first. I think it’s because I know what to expect this time, there’s not that fear of the unknown looming out there. I have already set one goal for my second race and that is “I will not puke at mile two of the Chicago Marathon”. I think I’ve got this one in the bag.

I started off marathon training with a Lactate Threshold Test, this is to test my heart rate zones and reset my training paces if needed. Now, these tests are great fun (that’s sarcasm that you might be smelling right about now) as you have to run as fast as you can go for 20 minutes. I hate running really fast, mainly because, I’m not a fast runner. I would much rather run in that long, slow marathon pace.

My average pace for the 20 minutes was right at 7:46, but the one thing that stood out was that I did this in a lower heart rate then my previous run test. My heart rate didn’t actually shoot up into the “be careful, you’re gonna have a coronary” zone until I jacked the treadmill well over 8.5 mph. Hmmm…maybe I could have gone faster; I hope I didn’t mess up the test since I didn’t go “full out”. My legs felt good too, not the normal jello that they usually are after a test.

Anyway, glad that dang test is done and I can get on with my training! I have a few runs on my schedule this week, plus a few bikes, and my long run of 9 miles is Saturday. Sunday, I have a 3.5 hour bike ride on my schedule in order to prepare myself for the Boulder Sunset Century Ride next month.

Have a great week guys! What are you all training for?

27 comments:

aron said...

YAY can't wait to follow your training!!!

misszippy said...

That's a nice pace for your test! I'm sure you're going to have a great Chicago!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

man i so badly want to do those tests, but they are like mucho dinero around here anywho

not puking at mile 2, i like that goal

Anna said...

Hi!! Nice to see you back! :) Have fun with training beginning... I don't start training for the RnR half until August, so I, too, have been taking some time off from running. Just getting back into it this week and it's a little tougher than I remember!

Jesse said...

Not puking is always a worthy goal! Enjoy the rest of your training (I'm on week 2 of my marathon training, and am also looking forward to this second marathon more than the first).

Katie A. said...

I like your goal - I think I might have to start lowering my expectations and stick to the real goal - not dying! LOL!
Nice job on the puke test - your ticker sounds like it's back up to speed :)

Whitney said...

Holy crap - I wouldn't be able to hold a "fast as you can" pace for 20 minutes. 2 minutes, maybe.
Is there a way to "train" for labor and delivery? I better research that and start now.

e410 said...

Yay! I'm so happy to hear that you're 1. alive 2. blogging again (don't leave me for so long next time :)) 3. starting up training for the Chicago (are you doing the Denver, too? Yes? Yes?) and 4. doing a Century Ride (you are so BA). I can't wait to following your training :)

Meg said...

I can't stand those LT tests, they are SOOO hard! My PT wanted me to do one on the track, chasing a bicycle around. I was like, "Are you crazy?!" Great job, though! It's so exciting starting a new training set, have fun :)! Chicago will be so much fun.

ShutUpandRun said...

There is no way you will puke at mile 2 again. In fact, I don't think you will puke at all. I can't promise the person behind you on the bus won't puke, though.

I start my training for Denver on Monday!!!!!

Jill said...

Chicago (or Denver) here you come! I know you'll surpass your don't-puke-before-mile-2 goals...and a lot others, too! So glad Rick came to visit my blog yesterday, he's such an awesome guy ;).

Emz said...

YAY for training - the best!! Chicago sounds awesome!

I'm waiting for July 4th to roll around for my 6th marathon . . I guess I should be tapering not training though. ;)

ajh said...

Wow! You should do great in your marathon!

Teamarcia said...

You...I mean WE are going to have a blast in Chicago!!! Happy training!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
Cheers to your Chicago marathon training kick-off! You did awesome with your first marathon and I have no doubt that you will kick some ass with your second! I am honestly just hoping for a 4:30 time for my first marathon. Funny you should mention puking....I am keeping my finger crossed that I will not end up on the side of the road. I have come so close so many times...I know it is coming:)

Good luck with your training! Enjoy your week Tara:)

Christine said...

Good luck on your marathon training! Looking forward to following your training and get some hints and tips for my first marathon in the fall :)

Laura said...

Yay for your next marathon! As fast as you can pace...uhhh I can do that for about 2 minutes ;-) Oh your poor out of shape little sister. Good thing I've got such a darn cute face because this body won't ever look like yours ;-) haha! Love you--keep it up & excited to hear abot your training.

Jennifer said...

Hey Tara, Great to see you back and smiling too! Did one half attempt at a LT test once and totally was not into it. I give you kudos for that! Me, I'm not really training for much right now, have a trail half marathon in the fall and my next full in Mid December. Too hot around here for any racing, so it's just volume and continuing the weight loss. Cheers!

Molly said...

Holy crap balls, I love how you don't think you're fast. I feel like I'm flying when I'm at a 9:30 pace! I have a 14 mile run on saturday, it will be my longest run to date....Gulp.

kilax said...

I am supposed to be training for Chicago too! :) Injured right now though.

Ugh. Those fast runs really take it out of you, don't they?

Jamie said...

I'm so excited for you running Chicago! I wish I was running it this year. Best of luck with training. I think you have a good goal!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Great job on the test! Enjoy your training!!

NY Wolve said...

Back at it again. Chicago will be here sooner than you think. AT least you get to train in Colorado! I am heading out to Aspen tomorrow and I cant wait. It is my favorite place in the world.

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Hey, I'm b-a-a-a-a-ck. You are starting your marathon training on my birthday...thanks, and nice pace for 20 minutes.

I look forward to following your training.

Middle Name Marie said...

Good Goal!!! LOL!!! I am also training for Chicago! I am so excited to follow your training. I ran 12 this morning and can't believe the race is just 3 months away! Good luck with training!

Tricia said...

hope your training is going well!

suzy@countdownto26.2 said...

Good luck with your training! I start today for the Kansas City 1/2 in October :) Great to be training again!