Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Taper!

Dude…I cannot believe my marathon is only 10 days away. That’s craziness.

I finished up my last long run last weekend, a 12 miler at a pace of 8.57. There’s not much to say about this run except I started out too fast and lost a little steam at the end. What can I say, I was feeling really good and I just decided to cruise. I know better then to start out too fast, so shame on me. I mentioned this to my coach and the next day there was attachment on “Pacing in Endurance Sports” included in our Weekly Update. Hmmm. Ok, it was a good read and I really need to perfect the art of pacing.

Here's me before my 12 miler.



View of the mountains from my run



Mountains from the trail



I have my last longer run on Friday of 8 miles, so I am well on my way into my taper. Yesterday at work I was filled with so much nervous energy I thought I was going to wear a hole in the carpet from pacing around so much. I also may or may not have been told that I’m a little on the “bitchy” side. Someone gave me an article recently titled “Taper Madness”. It was a comical article about what marathoners feel like when they go through a taper. One statement stood out: “The Tapering Marathoner will be irritable, anxious, nervous, overly emotional, short-tempered, restless, tired, cranky, depressed (even more than normal). Sounds like a great three weeks doesn’t it? It is not unlike the addict going cold turkey. This is a span of time where most Marathoners go a bit crazy.”

So basically a tapering marathoner could be compared to a woman in PMS. So a few things that you need to know:

1.) Do not give me a gun
2.) I should not be around small children or stupid people during this time.
3.) If I bite your head off, it’s not me, it’s the taper.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

21 comments:

Jill said...

I know exactly where you were running :). I think I like taper time now, gives me an excuse to be excessively bitchy!!! I'm going to have to pick up that article on pacing....played that too fast at the start game one too many times. 10 days....so excited for you!

Lisa said...

Wow Tara you've come a long way since your illness last year. Good for you. I'm sending good racing vibes your way!

Erin said...

hehe, love the taper madness. 10 days! woop woop! so exciting!

Slomohusky said...

I agree with Lisa's comment.

Taper? Never had a problem with Taper. Mainly because I never really do it. I keep running my runs then just take 2-3 days off before the race. Although with the 50 mile and hour winds in Vegas right now - not much of anything is going on outside.

Good Luck Tara! All my best!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
God, you are so funny:) I can't believe you have 10 days before the big day!! This is pretty exciting stuff! You have been training hard and are going to do great! I get the same way on my 12 to 13 mile runs....I am just fine for the first ten and then I have no energy left:) You had a nice pace! You better post again before your marathon! Have a good one Tara:)

Anne said...

Taper sounds like a great excuse to let it all out :)

10 days!! That's so exciting, I very much look forward to reading all about it. You'll do great!

Molly said...

yeah, a beer might calm those taper nerves.

Ten days...I'm so excited for you, that came up quick!

love those moutain views.....

Jamoosh said...

No guns or any other weapons...

Anna said...

10 days huh? I guess that means I have 17 until my race. Ready to barf yet? LOL

You're going to do just fine. I know it! Just think of all that you have accomplished!

SeeGirlRun said...

Nice shades. Next time take a picture afterwards, too. No guns? I guess you shouldn't have sharp instruments either.

10 days to go!!! Keep us posted on your taper madness. Woo hoo!

Laura

ShutUpandRun said...

yeah the taper really messes with you. Especially when you count on running as your mental release and you can't run as much so you don't get that release but you need it all the more b/c your marathon is only 10 days out. At least that's how I feel. Bad part is I now have taper madness and my period so look out. It's not a good combo.

HappyTrails said...

"...or stupid people..." Guess that means not going out in public for the most part!!! Hope you don't go too nuts - I think we'll keep going short on races so you don't have to taper. :-)

Char said...

It just begs the question - what happens if you have to taper while you have PMS

ajh said...

Your marathon is fast approaching! Yeah!

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Maam, please step away from the deadly weapons. Move away from the deadly weapons. Thank you. Now relax, and all will be OK.

Jennifer said...

I love taper time! It can be frustrating but it is also so exciting. Good luck and rest up. You are on your way!

Emz said...

I sooooooooooooooooooooo needed this. wait - my hubby sooooooo is needing to be forwarded this post. Esp this part: “The Tapering Marathoner will be irritable, anxious, nervous, overly emotional, short-tempered, restless, tired, cranky, depressed (even more than normal)." This was me last night. Thank you for this post!!

Jamie said...

Taper madness is the worst! Luckily for you it's almost over!

Tricia said...

great pics!

and good luck!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

hehe yes it is like PMS. WHich I don't really understand because it should be a less stressful time right?

thanks for your comment yesterday, it's amazing to know I have so many great bloggers/friends reading

ultrarunnerbrianphilpot said...

I hate to taper!