Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Slacker

I have been blog slacking again this week; I really need to catch up on posts. I’ve been skimming, but not commenting, shame on me. Work has been busy again this week and this is my peek week for marathon training. I have actually scheduled pee breaks on my work calendar; otherwise I will just sit there at my desk until I almost wet myself. That wouldn’t be good.

Before I forget and in case I don’t comment on your blogs before you leave, I just wanted to wish my friends’ Jill, Meg, and Katie A. GOOD LUCK in Boston on Monday!

Meg-Glad your 6 miler went well yesterday and that you are feeling refreshed!
Jill-Have faith in yourself, it’s all going to come together for you on race day! Smile and have fun girl!
Katie A. - Hang in there with work, I KNOW what you are going through with the busy work schedule AND trying to fit in workouts. You’re almost there! (Don’t forget to schedule pee breaks).
Slomo-can you send a slice of happiness to us all?

Just a little about training:
Last week was rest week, so no long run. I did a Brick on Saturday, which is a run off the bike. It went really well, but I couldn’t figure out why I was getting so many stares on my run. I finally figured out that I had forgotten to take my bike helmet off. Duh. I’m sure my Coach was mortified when I told her and she probably had no idea that she was working with such a “special” athlete.
Sunday I did a trail run at 8,000 ft in altitude. It was hard. Happy Trails, how do you guys manage to pull of 17 milers at that kind of altitude??? You all rock!

So this week is peek week in training and I have some pretty hefty workouts on my schedule leading right into my last 20 miler on Sunday. I can’t wait until next Monday!

I’d like to share a poem that my coach included in my workout schedule this week, although, I’m sure she probably wanted to take it off after the whole helmet debacle. It’s really inspiring to me and I hope it will inspire you as well!

Winners Are People Like You

Winners take chances.
Like everyone else,
they fear failing,
but they refuse
to let fear control them.

Winners don't give up.
When life gets rough, they hang in
until the going gets better.

Winners are flexible.
They realize there is more than one way
and are willing to try others.

Winners know they are not perfect.
They respect their weaknesses
while making the most of their strengths.

Winners fall, but they don't stay down.
They stubbornly refuse to let a fall
keep them from climbing.

Winners don't blame
fate for their failures
nor luck for their successes.
Winners accept responsibility
for their lives.

Winners are positive thinkers
who see good in all things.
From the ordinary, they make
the extraordinary.

Winners believe in the path they
have chosen
even when it's hard,
even when others can't see
where they are going.

Winners are patient.
They know a goal is only as worthy
as the effort that's required
to achieve it.

Winners are people like you.

Nancye Sims

Hope everyone is having a great week!

27 comments:

Erin said...

That is the best quote you could have possibly posted for me today. I've got my hugebigscary graduate school oral qualifying exam tomorrow morning, and I'm scared, but ya know what? Winners don't give up. I can do this. And so can you! You're gonna dominate your marathon in 3 weeks! Woop woop!

Whitney said...

Oh what I wouldn't have given to see you running along in your helmet! Cracks me up!

misszippy said...

Loving the image of you running w/ helmet on! That's excellent. One time I did a tri where a woman didn't remove her wetsuit for the bike. Can you imagine? So funny!

Katie A. said...

You ARE special! Thank you, thank you for the shout-out! Actually, being swamped at work right now is a good thing, I havne't been thinking about my race! I actually dreamed about preparing taxes last night! Normally I would be a sleepless wreck right now but I'm so distracted :)
Oh, and I also have the SAME thing happen with pee breaks! I'll be on my way there and then all of a sudden it's an hour later and I still haven't gone! Sheesh!
Hugs to you on your last 20 miler :)

Molly said...

great poem. And thanks for having me choke on my black bean burger while picturing you running with the bike helmet.

now go pee.

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
Oh my God, I love the poem!! Also, I enjoyed a few minutes of good humor when reading your post:) Funny girl!!

Nice work on your runs! You are totally going to be ready for your marathon:)

ShutUpandRun said...

I love the poem. Thanks! And I am dying laughing AT you wearing the helmet. Classic. Maybe you can wear it for the marathon.

Running Pretty said...

Thanks for the poem...great inspiration.
I told my office about you running with your helmet on. Thats something I would do. I love that you shared that with us.

Slomohusky said...

:),:D,:),:D,:),:D !!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing the poem!

Cheers! :)

Sarah said...

Good luck on your 20-miler. And too funny about the helmet. I saw a guy driving around in his car the other day with his hardhat on, guess he forgot to take it off after work. You're not the only one!

Jamie said...

Great poem and definitely a good thing to remember!

Love the image of running with your bike helmet still on :)

bobbie said...

Love the poem!! Good luck w/the marathon!!

ajh said...

I'd love to have seen you running with your helmet! Too funny!

Jill said...

You wear that helmet in the marathon and I guarantee, you'll be famous! Thanks for the swim Monday, just what I needed. Next time we gotta spend more time swimming than chat-in. Love ya, girl. Oh, btw, I tried to run in my necklace last night but it was too clinky-ing around my neck. That's an official word, too!!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Thanks for sending me good luck in Boston. And thanks so much for the helmet visual - that is too funny.

And finally - I LOVED the poem. thanks for sharing.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

thanks for sharing the poem, I think we could all use that reminder!!! Oh and if you haven't entered my giveaway yet well just wanted to let you know since I was a big winnahhhh here
http://runtothefinish.blogspot.com/2010/04/3-changes-challenge-prizes.html

Anne said...

Fun post :)
Love the poem...thanks for sharing!
That marathon is sure coming up soon...I'll be doing my first 10K that day :)

HappyTrails said...

Too FUNNY on the helmet!! BTW, where did you run at 8,000' - inquiring trail junkies need to know these things??? Have a great week.

Meg said...

OMG, how cool is that poem? I just posted on WINNERS(no, not weiners)because I'm reading a cool book! I really need this poem today, thanks Tara.
Thanks for the shout out!

Char said...

There's nothing wrong with wearing a helmet when you run. It could prevent quite a nasty head injury should you happen to fall.

Jennifer said...

Thanks Tara for the poem! and for your fresh outlook on life! Cheers!

SeeGirlRun said...

I had to print out that poem for my daughter and me. Inspirational.

Running with your helmet? Just say you have epilepsy so it's for medical reasons. :-)

Laura

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Too funny about the helmet!!!

kristen said...

OMG, dying.....lol.....your are so funny!

great poem. Have a good week girl.

Alee said...

I love that quote, thanks for sharing! I'm new to your blog and I love it already!

HappyTrails said...

Hey - too funny - we were right over the hill from where you ran (Pine Valley Ranch) when we were at Buffalo Creek last weekend!! The trailhead we used was about 5 miles down Hwy 126 from where you were!

Keri said...

Oh my goodness, we have to hang out in Chicago, I could see me doing something like that!

BTW, I am from Missouri too, but I live in much cooler Kansas now. :)