Friday, March 12, 2010

My Poor Aching Body


I have my 18 miler tomorrow. I’m pretty confident that I’ll make the mileage, but I’m a little concerned at this point about my poor, aching body.

First, there’s that ankle pain on my left foot, then there’s my bunion pain on my right foot, and now a new inner thigh/groin pain on my right leg. I feel as though I should be sitting in a bucket of ice like a shrimp. I’ve even brought little baggies to work with me to fill with ice in order to clamp them on my aches while I’m just sitting at my desk. I wonder what my co-workers would say if I were to just duct tape the bags of ice on my body, probably nothing.

Last night, I got home from a really great race pace run. I’m not sure what made it feel so good, but I have an idea. I’ve been eating extremely healthy lately, but I went on a binge yesterday at the office because there was free food. I don’t pass up free food. I had a free bad of chips and two free cookies. Shame on me. I think that the crap and sugar from this little indiscretion gave me a little rush and I had the best run I’ve had all week. So tomorrow before my 18 miler, it will be a bag of chips and two cookies for breakfast.

However, when I got home from this great little run, I had this new little pain in my inner thigh/groin area. Crap. I grabbed my foam roller, sat in a chair, and tried to roll the pain out. I didn’t realize it, but the blinds were open and I REALLY hope that the neighbors didn’t see my little inner thigh foam roller session. I don’t want to be the talk of the neighborhood. Actually, I would sit out in the front yard and foam roll my groin if the Running Gods would just make that pain go away!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Good luck to all of you who are racing this weekend!

27 comments:

kristen said...

Sorry about all the aches and pains. What does your coach say. Sounds like alot of stress on your body. At least your lungs are healthy though. Right?!

Anna said...

I get that inner thigh/groin pain, too. Usually after a long run. Work that foam roller!! ;)

Jill said...

Um, how does one foam roll their inner thighs exactly? I am really wondering why you didn't enclose a pic of that one! Sorry you're achy right now, welcome to marathon training! I'm running about 7 or 8 tomorrow so I'm not too sore for the race on Sunday...if you want company for a few miles somewhere, holler. Glad your lungs are feeling better, that's gotta be a big sigh of relief...and if trans fat and sugar is what fuels the legs, girl, then you go for it!!! I'm never one to alter science!!
xo

Molly said...

ugh, pain is no fun! your roller visual is making me chuckle.

I just sucked down a Shamrock Shake, lets see how my run this afternoon goes with that kind of fuel!

Good luck on the 18 miler!

Jamoosh said...

Shrimpies! I love me some shrimps.

Slomohusky said...

Before I got out of bed I was thinking wow no pain. I think I can do my HM tomorrow. Then I get up and walk downstairs and my wife has to catch me from stumbling down with pain. I will trade my foot for your body aches right now! Second thought, I like you too much blogger friend. I would not wish it on anyone.

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
I am sorry to hear about your sore body:( I have been there and it sucks! Good luck on your 18 miler tomorrow...you are going to do fantastic!! Hang in there and take care of yourself:)

I hope that you have an excellent weekend Tara!!

Sarah said...

I know just what you mean about feeling like a shrimp on ice! Hope that pain goes away ASAP. :)

Katie A. said...

You crack me up!!! Shrimp on ice...tee hee :)
Sorry you are all achy! You are def in training mode! Good luck with the 18 - I will be sending lots of good running vibes your way from my desk at work :)

Tricia said...

ouch, hope everything feels better soon!

ShutUpandRun said...

I think tonight you should use the foam roller on the inner thigh, only do it naked. Hell, it's Friday night, live it up.

I hope these aches and pains are NOTHING. Good luck on the 18 miler tomorrow...

Sunflower Kisses said...

Good luck on the 18-miler tomorrow. I hope your aches and pain will subside enough (if not disappear soon).

Do you think pre-run snacks are that important to determine if one gets a good run? I had a sluggish run yesterday, and I don't think it was because I was mentally sluggish.

ultrarunnerbrianphilpot said...

You will have pains, it's part of running hard. You just need to know that fine line of good training and being hurt!
Have a great weekend!

Meg said...

Actually, I'm really glad that I didn't see that foam roller "session!" How did that work for you?

ajh said...

Feel better. Love the foam roller.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

what is it with the free food! I swear when I see it, I must eat it

Anne said...

Sorry to hear about the aches...hope the roller helped and that you have an amazing run tomorrow!

Jesse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Running Through Life said...

I hope you roll out all the aches in pains. I am sure the neighbors appreciated the show.

Marathonman101108 said...

Hey "Shrimp on ice"- Next time sell tickets to see your inner thigh foam roller session. No use letting the neighbors watch for free! Does a foam roller really work?? If so, I'm getting one. I've been keeping away the aches and pains by deciding that stretching before and after a run is a good thing, along with a cold hand-held shower on my achy body parts. I sometimes drink a Monster Lo Carb energy drink before a run. It works wonders! I hope your 18 miler goes/went well.

Jamie said...

Way to give those neighbors something to talk about! Hope you feel better soon and good luck with the 18!

Jennifer said...

Ha ha, brings back memories of my injury last year in the groin area, hard no to look weird when massaging! Have a great 18 miler!

misszippy said...

Just found your blog. Question for you--it looks like you don't have a marathon until Nov. Just wondering why, then, you are doing an 18-miler this far out? Just seems that if you don't need to go that far and your body hurts, why not back off a bit? Sorry for the unsolicited advice--it's just what came to my head!

fitinthecity said...

Ouch! You have lots of pains going on! I hope you take care of those and feel better soon. I dealt with bunion pain for awhile. I ended up having surgery 8/2009.

misszippy said...

Hi Tara--Glad to hear it about your marathon training (not that you are hurting)Thanks for swinging by my blog and here's to your body loosening up for you!

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Too funny. I can only imagine what it must have looked like through the window as you rolled out the groin pain. I could have set up a stand and charged admission. :)

Katie said...

That was funny about the rolling with the blinds open! I've had inner thigh groin pain too. If you can manage to stay away from hills that might help. I've also found that over striding can exacerbate the issue. Smaller strides definitely help. Good luck!