Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Long Run and a new Marathon.

I lurve my new Zoot Compression Socks!



Those aren't my legs in the sky.

Let me start out by saying that I am a horrible blogger. I wanted to let you all know that I realize I am horrible because I haven’t read or updated posts in almost a week. I have no excuse really, I mean, nothing should stop me from spending countless hours in the blog world, NOTHING. Being busy is not an excuse, even though I have been really, really busy. I’ve been so freaking busy that I literally fall into bed every night. I’m like a lemming falling off a cliff; I walk till I hit the bed and then just fall. What I'm trying to say is: I have a LOT of posts to catch up on.

Anyway, training has been going well; Saturday, I did my long run, which was 16 miles of pure bliss.

If you believe that, then I have some swamp land in Florida that I will sell you really cheap, complete with your own man eating alligator.

So, it was not pure bliss, but it was not hell either. The only major trouble that I had was the snot rockets that kept landing on me. I would have clocked the person that kept launching them at me, except they were coming from me. You just might be a dork if you hit yourself with your own snot rockets. I guess if that was my only trouble, then I am ahead of the game.

I started with a nice easy 4 mile warm up and then played with my paces the remainder of the run. I did a total of 4 miles at a 9:00 pace, 4 at an 8:35 pace, and another 4 at a 9:25 pace. Average pace for the 16 miles was 9:13. I am still trying to come up with a goal marathon pace that my lungs will agree with, but I am pleased that most of the paces that I ran were quite comfortable for me.

I went home and did a 30 minute recovery spin on my bike trainer and then tried out my new Zoot Compression socks. I love them and the next day my legs actually felt normal. I am smitten.


One other thing that I wanted to mention was that at the spur of the moment, I signed up for the Chicago Marathon. I don’t know what came over me really, one minute, I was enjoying a little bedtime snack and the next thing I knew I had just registered for the marathon. My husband just about choked on his cheerios when I told him.

24 comments:

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Congrats on registering for Chicago. I would like to do it someday.

So, did the compression socks prevent the pain to your legs that an ice bath normally take care of? If so I may need to pick up a pair for my wife, and I guess myself also.

Jamoosh said...

I only want the land if it comes with a "woman eating alligator!"

Katie A. said...

I love my Zoot compression socks, too! Mine are black, and you know how it is...once you go black....

Congrats on the new marathon - all marathon decisions are made in a state of crazy - welcome to the club :)
Good job on the run!

Morgan said...

You are going to LOVE Chicago! I heart it so much I STILL draw our names together in hearts! :) LOL!

Compression socks are the best! I rock my recovery socks after most runs and when I travel on planes.

ShutUpandRun said...

So exciting about chicago!!! Glad the 16 miler went well. I always and I mean always spit on myself. And I do other things on myself too. Glad the sox agreed with ya. If you love them so much you should marry them.

Slomohusky said...

Hi Tara,

I don't spend countless hours, just few needed minutes though.

Socks - I just bought some new ones yesterday. However, mine were 4.99 at my local chain drugstore. I like them as well. However, I am wondering why Zoot is making you and others pay $40 or more for them? They have been around since my Grandmother gave birth. Which is why most wore them in the first place. Pregnant women with cirulation problems. My wife makes fun of me everytime I wear mine. She wonders if some other typical female clothing item is next on her husband? Anyway, I think I will go back to my local drugstore, and by their entire lot. Then sell them quadriple the price and renaming them Loot socks.

Good luck in Chicago. I need to get serious on Fall Full Marathon decisions of mine own. I think I will stay out west for mine though.

Get some rest when you can busy girl!

e410 said...

Those socks look baller. I should probably invest in a pair, 'cause every runner that I know (who owns a pair) loves them. Congrats on the 16-miler! Super speedy, too! I did 15.5ish this weekend, and it definitely wasn't that fast. So nice work! PS. what's with this cold weather all the sudden?! it's SNOWING up here right now... grr...

Sunflower Kisses said...

AWESOME on your run and WOOHOOO on signing up for the Chicago. I love spur of the moment decisions. Makes me think you are gutsy when you make spur-of-the-moment decisions.

Molly said...

OMG, you signed up for Chicago?! I was online this morning looking at marathons. I'm all pumped up to start training, I don't think I can wait until September.

Hope you come out of your tax season hell soon!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
I was laughing when reading your whole post:) Awesome job on your 16 mile run Tara!! Funny about the snot rockets:) I am so excited that you signed up for the Chicago marathon! I wish that they had a half because I would be there!! Chicago is the place where I have so many good memories:) My husband and I have been there so many times for fun long weekends!!

I need to purchase some of those compression socks. I am probably the only runner who doesn't have a pair. Must go shopping:) Enjoy the rest of your week Tara!!

Whitney said...

Yeah, I had the snot rocket problem when I first tried... and it was because I wasn't blowing hard/fast enough. But I've gotten really good at it now! :)

ultrarunnerbrianphilpot said...

I blog from work 90% of the time so it won't mess with me time or training time. Good to see you getting the training in!

Jameson said...

chicago is on my list of marathons to do...after my first one this may

ajh said...

I'm reading along thinking wow- she can run 16 miles and call it pure bliss??? thank God for the next line!

Anna said...

Wooohooo on the 16 miler! You are a rock star. I may need to invest in some of these socks. My calves told me I had some serious explaining to do after my long run last weekend.

Anne said...

Geez you're funny :)
You are definitely a rock"et" star :)
Funny how these things happen, the other day I was at the computer reading blogs and the next thing I knew I had bought a Garmin ;)

Anne said...

The last sentence didn't make it...
Congrats on registering for Chicago!!

Meg said...

Yipppeee for Chicago, sounds like you'll have some local training partners to go with you!
I LOVE my Zoot socks...I read Slomo's comment and must disagree...I checked out the CVS(drug store)circulation socks and they have completely different feet and ankle support so don't worry...you got what you paid for. Those socks are WONDERFUL for recovery...I sneak mine under some cute jeans and no one knows how dorky I truly look...well, only you..and the rest of the bloggin world.

M2Marathon said...

haha, you register for marathons like I do! on the fly and without thinking anything through; God, I love the internet. (I signed up for Denver last Jan.; I saw the email, whipped out the ccard and bam it was done before I knew it. Then I spent a good 3 days trying to figure out the active.com charge on my statement and remember what the heck I signed up for.)

Great job on the long run and I too L.O.V.E. my hot pink recovery socks.

Jesse said...

So, you signed up for your second marathon before running your first? That's awesome!!

kristen said...

Oh how I muss your witty posts. Come back! I understand though.

Congratulations on Chicago. I just had the urge to sign up for a marahton, but I'm going to try and let it pass :)

P.S. I bought the bike shorts. Much better. Much.

Jamie said...

I wish I was around for Chicago this year. Congratsvon making the commitment and plan for a race that is crowded but like no other!

And nice job on the 16. Great pace!

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Haha! Your snot rocket recap made me laugh!! Thanks for that!!!

Good luck in Chicago!!!

Kristin said...

LOVE those socks too. I wore them to work on Monday and no one would ever know! The tights rock too, the CompressRX with the foot stirrup. It's how I survive the hardest parts of my season.

Congrats on the marathon!