Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patty's Day!


The luck of the Irish definitely wasn’t with me on Saturday when I ran my 18 miler. It was a gorgeous day out, I had adequate fuel and water, and I had foam rolled every single ache and pain out of my body. I was ready. However, I don’t think my stomach was ready for the Cytomax that I was drinking because by mile 10, I was paying homage to the bushes. We should have some lovely flowering bushes along the Cherry Creek Trail come spring.

Now if I run by there and the bushes are dead, I’m going to feel really bad.

By mile 11, I had enough of the heat and the stomach cramps, so I went home, downed a half bottle of Tums, and ran the remaining 7 miles in my cool basement on the treadmill. I made the 18 miles, but I consider this the worst run of my life. At one point, I honestly didn’t think that I would be able to finish. That’s where the mental part has to kick in and tell your body that you can and you will!

S this week is rest and recovery week; no long run this weekend and we are adding in some cross training. I did a short 3.5 mile run on Monday and last night I actually went swimming. Lookout Shamu was IN the water. I really shouldn’t insult Shamu like that because unlike me, Shamu can actually swim. However, don’t get too close, because like Shamu, I might kill you by hitting you with my flailing arms and drag you under.

Tonight’s workout will be my first ever Brick! I am so excited about this and I don’t have a clue why, maybe because it is just new and different.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

21 comments:

Jamoosh said...

On the bright side, the worst run of your life was a training run and not an actual race!

fitinthecity said...

Way to get in that 18 miles....not matter how you had to do it! Just think, the worst is over :)

Morgan said...

Just remember this run during Mile 24 of the Marathon and know that the worst is behind you!

I flail too, don't feel bad. :(

Anna said...

Hey the important thing is that you finished your mileage! I'm sure the bushes appreciated the fertilizer.

Slomohusky said...

I agree with Jamoosh. Phoenix Rock and Roll in Jan., I had a similiar feeling. I actually wanted to help out the shrubbery, but couldn't. Just wanted to get up and out. It finally settled down, unfortunately it was the last 3 miles.

Glad you have a recovery week upon you. Sounds like you need a little break. Which I am finding out is tougher to do than running sometimes.

Happy St. Pattys day to ya! Thanks for the well wishes on my ankle/foot. I think I might be over it - I hope!

Running Through Life said...

Sorry to hear your run didn't go so well. Don't let it get you down. We all have a bad day, unfortunately yours was an 18 miler. Like Jamoosh said, at least it wasn't a race.

Katie A. said...

Bad runs only make you stronger :)
BTW, you will totally have to update us on the bushes you crapped in - I want to know if they live or die! LOL!
Good luck with the brick - they're fun!

Jennifer said...

It can only get better! Good for you for getting back on the horse and kicking it!

Lauren said...

Oh man that run sounds brutal - great job finishing though!

Molly said...

you are so funny. Those poor bushes.

Sorry the run was crappy, but you finished it!

Enjoy your BRICK, I did one once last summer, and I actually liked it. Next thing you know you'll be doing a triathlon for your next challenge!

ShutUpandRun said...

A girl after my own heart - crapping in the bushes! Sorry the run wasn't the best. We all have those and they sucked. But does give you more mental strength. Are you doing 20 this weekend? I'm dreading that one to tell you the truth.

Jesse said...

I agree with Jamoosh, better to have your worst run ever on a training day!

I can't believe that you went home and finished on the treadmill. I would have just called it quits after ducking into the bushes. BTW, vegetarian poop makes excellent compost. Meat-eaters poop contains bacteria that isn't so good in compost, but meatless poop is an awesome fertilizer!

Jill said...

I'm going to look for those bushes - and take note, I will know which ones they are!!! I'm sorry your long run was a disaster...been there all too many times lately. But it made ya stronger and the next one you're gonna rock (how far this weekend???). Yeah, no pool for me (again!!! This is SAD) but starting next week, I'm there baby - let's get in that stinking pool and kill some laps!!!
Hugs to you, girl! Stay strong!!!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
Oh, I am sorry about your tough run! I sometimes deal with a sensitive stomach too! Don't be so hard on yourself...everyone ends up having a challenging run at times. You will have a better run next time:) Hang in there..chin up and keep smiling:) Happy St. Patty's day Tara!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

Hmm if those bushes are dead or alive it will say a lot about what is in Cytomax.

good luck with the brick!!

Meg said...

Hey, your unlucky run sounded like my Jan. marathon...I met so many friendly bushes and as far as I know, they didn't die. Sounds like you just moved on in a healthy way and finished your miles, nice job!

ajh said...

That sounds like no fun what so ever!!!

Jameson said...

drink away any problems, green beer, green gatorade. hops or electrolytes...ur choice

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I'm convinced that the bad runs are thrown in there so that we appreciate the good ones even more! Hope the brick went well! :)

ultrarunnerbrianphilpot said...

Keep your head up! It will get better, summer's coming.

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Without a bad run here or there we would not appreciate the good runs as much. (Assuming that most of them are good runs.)

I had to Google to find out what a Brick was. Sounds like fun. No wonder you are a little excited.