Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Crappy Snow Run

Yes, that's right, yours truely (that would be me) ran 12 miles in the rain, snow, and wind last night. I earned the "I'm not the biggest wuss that you've ever met award". Now tomorrow may be a different story, but I earned that title last night.

I had a "sandwich run" on my schedule for Tuesday and Wednesday. I was supposed to run 10 miles on Tuesday night and then 8 miles early Wednesday morning, therefore sandwiching 18 miles over two days.

Monday, I noticed that the Denver area forecast was calling for 6-12 inches of snow starting Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning.

Well shit.

I debated on moving the run, but my schedule is so busy right now, that I just decided to get it done. So I took off work around 4:00 last night and drove over to the trail head. I determined that I would get 12 miles in so that I would only have to do 6 miles on the treadmill the next morning.

Ready to run



Here's what it looked like at the start of my run, not too bad. Just a little rain. I actually am one of the few people that I know who actually enjoys running in the rain.



About an half an hour into my run, the rain turned to heavy, wet snow. Well shit. I kept at it, determined to get my 12 miles in. About 9 miles in, I couldn't feel my hands anymore, so I caved and called my husband for a ride. The snow was coming down sideways at this point and was stinging my face and you could barely see.

My very considerate husband pulled up right about the time I hit 10 miles and I climbed into the car, slammed the door, and announced "I QUIT! I can't take this training anymore!" He calmly looked at me and replied that at least I would have something to blog about. I happily perked up and decided that I would go home and finish the last two miles on the treadmill.

He dropped me back off at my car and here's what the weather was doing on my way home.



This morning, I got up and finished my sandwich run with 6 miles on the mill. 18 miles = Done. And 11 1/2 inches of snow. That's the way the weather works here in Colorado. It will be gone in a couple of days.

30 comments:

HappyTrails said...

We got 10" in 2.5 hours last night - crap, trails are HOSED big time now!! You are brave because it was definitely coming in sideways and that wind was wicked. Super Kudos for toughing it out. Gotta love mountain weather.... Now it can go away and give us summer! :)

Running Through Life said...

Way to tough it out and get that run in! You are most definitely not a wuss.

Thank goodness your husband was around to come pick you up.

Slomohusky said...

Sunny and 65-70 I think here in the desert SW. Sorry, just had to say? :) or:(?

What did you do with your car? Did you leave it where you started running? Funny your hubby says now you have something to blog about. My wife occaisoanally reads my blog - she doesn't understand why anyone would be interested in anything I write about. I kinda agree with here. I just tell her blogging is therapy for addictive runners. No matter what babble we blog about - there is runner saying AMEN, or ditto to it.

Sun and warmth is coming soon!

Molly said...

ha! gotta love it when you have something to blog about!

Kudos for running in that weather, the first thing I thought of was "doesn't she have a treadmill?" I'm a precipitation wuss, the cold I don't mind, but not the kind of weather you run in! Talk about being a Trooper!

M2Marathon said...

Ugh, cursed snow...I bet that was a heckuva run! I like running in the rain too (unless chafing ensues) and I like running in the falling snow, too. But man, it was ucky last night! I was glad for my rest day! You are a Runner. :-)

Jamie said...

You are hardcore! Way to get it done!

Whitney said...

Hooray for spring weather in the Rockies! You are tough... I would have wussed out because that's what I am.

Katie A. said...

OMG WOMAN! You are hardcore AND crazy! But I am very proud of you and will hope that someday I will man up and be able to pull off a run like that myself ;)
Awesome job - now enjoy the rest of the week!

Tara said...

Thanks everyone, I'm not really hardcore, just stupid.

Slomo-My hubbie dropped me back off at my car and I drove him myself. He went to pick up veggie pizza for me. Such a sweetie!

Tricia said...

I'm impresses!

ShutUpandRun said...

Oh god well at least I am not the only one sick of this training. It is brutal. I give you major kudos for getting out there. That is real discpline, girl. We will do fine in Ft. Collins regardless. I am just glad you will be there when we take those damn buses up the mountain at 4:30am. A good change to have breakfast. I am going to email you a blog post a dude wrote about running the marathon last year. It might get you pumped up; something we both need right now, right?

Jamoosh said...

Great run - you are a better person for it!

Sunflower Kisses said...

Kudos for braving the rain, wind and snow! Definitely not a wuss!

Jameson said...

I hear you for rainy/snowy runs! Tough to do, doesn't it make you mad when the first day its nice out theres 500 runners...where were they during the bad weather??

Meg said...

OK, the rain was enough for me but the snow??? No thank you, you are tough for getting out there but I guess with the forecast you kind of had to, ugh! Hopefully it will be nice for your weekend runs. Nice "well shits" by the way. You made me laugh!

Anna said...

What?! Biggest wuss? I think not. You are totally brave for not wimping out the minute you saw gray clouds like yours truly usually does. You are a rockstar! Cut yourself some slack. :)

feetinmotion said...

Wow you're a trooper. That weather looks insane!! I plan to move to Colorado after college!

ajh said...

We got just a little snow. I complained because it was rainy and cold yesterday. You rock!

ultrarunnerbrianphilpot said...

Spring is coming it will get a lot better!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
Well shit!! You just won the I am a Colorado badass runner award!! Awesome job...you are one tough cookie:) I loved the pictures! You are so freaking cute:) Anyway you made me feel super lazy...Miss I just ran 18 miles sandwich or whatever:) I hope that you enjoy the rest of your week Tara:)

Lauren said...

That's freaking hardcore! Me and my little floridian blood could never handle that!

kudos!

Jill said...

Geeeeeez, girl, you are about as bad ass as they come!! No way in hell I was getting my hiney out there in that crap last night, I safely hauled mine over to our lovely 24-hour where I produced a killer 2.5 miler at 10:30 pace. Jealous, I know.

Is this snow ever going to leave??!!!! I'm SOOOOOOOO SICK OF IT!!!

Nice run, girlie! Very proud of you!!!! :)

Keri said...

Wow, I would not have made it as far as you did!

Good job!

Erin said...

You're tellin' me! This weather is TOTALLY wack. I'm not as hardcore as you, but I went out on Wednesday morning and got 4.5 miles in. I had to run in the tire tracks on the street (in a residential area, not a busy road) and I even ran alongside a couple XC skiers for a while. Can it be spring yet??

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Nicely done. I don't know if I would have done the same. I am a big baby when it comes to cold weather.

feetinmotion said...

I'm so ready for spring too! Yes I am signed up for the go st louis half marathon. I actually want to move to Colorado after college!! Do you love it?

Jennifer said...

Great job at keeping at it, I would have never won that award, you go girl!

Meg said...

Oooooo, have a FUN trip...do the hula and climb a coconut tree, wear a bikini and drink something tropical with rum! Will miss you, have a blast!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

That's the kind of training day that toughens you up for a tough race. Great job getting out there!

Marathonman101108 said...

Wow, we're finally starting to warm up here, although it decided to be 38 degrees when I ran today. However, after reading your post, I now realize that 38 degrees would feel like a heat wave to you right now! Great job running in the "blizzard." Nice you were able to have your husband rescue you. See, we're good for something...LOL.