Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Bucket List


I was tagged by Ulyana of Shaped by Running to give the three things that I must do before I die. I have many, many small goals that are on my “bucket list”, but I’ve never really thought of any BIG goals that I absolutely have to do before I get thrown into the ground or stuffed into an urn.

So, let’s give this a try:

1.) I absolutely must make the trek up to Machu Picchu (see picture above) or “The Lost City of the Incas” in Peru. My husband and I have been talking about this one for a few years now, but have never gotten to the point of actually planning it. We’ll get there someday.
2.) Qualify for Boston. I realize that this is pretty generic; the time goal for this one would be 3:45 for me. My short term goal is to just freaking run a marathon without hurting my foot or having like a pulmonary embolism or something.
3.) I want to get my pilot’s license. I have wanted to do this since I was a little girl. I wanna defy gravity!

I do have to say though, that if I died tomorrow; I would die knowing that I have already lived a full and satisfying life. One of my sister’s favorite quotes is”

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

Training: I have a key run on my schedule tonight. According to my coach, key workouts are workouts designed for you to see a breakthrough in performance or effort. I work in heart rate zones with my coach and I have been mainly staying in zone 1 and 2 (slower heart rate) while running, tonight’s run will be my first time holding zone three (faster!) for longer then a few minutes at a time. I’m looking forward to it, I’m building back up! (Fist pump).

13 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Good luck on the heart rate workout. I am positive you will feel "great" afterwards.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

I love having big life goals of things to do and places to see, it keeps me inspired!

Katie A. said...

Those are some awesome goals! Funny, the hubbs and I just watched a Nova program last night on PBS all about the Machu Pichu site...they were amazing in their inventions back then!
Good luck on the run tonight! FIST PUMP GIRLY!

Jamie said...

Love the bucket list! Always good to have the big goals.

Jill said...

Those are three great goals and I'm sure you will achieve them! My son, Brendan, has wanted to be a pilot since he was 3 and never waned from this. I pray one day he becomes a commercial pilot as that's his dream! I love that quote from your sister; I've heard that a few times, it's so great to be reminded to make moments that stop time for those are the ones that write the stories in our lives.

Will be in touch about running soon. :)

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
I want to do your number one and visit the "lost city" in peru! I love that kind of stuff! I am so passionate about history and that would be right up my alley! In order for me to do the Boston thing I would have to run a full first. I am still trying to get the half down...it might take a little time for me to get to that point. So until then I will be your cheerleader!! Go Tara! Great list:)

Molly said...

I definitely have some travel goals on my list, but I'm with you, if I died tomorrow I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'm very happy with how my life has turned out.

Slomohusky said...

I have not done it yet either, but some friends did it a few years ago (Machu-Pichu). They said take the train instead of the hike. Plus bring a tank of oxygen.

Love your Sisters quote.

Tara said...

Thanks guys! I love my list too. :)

My run tonight went great; felt sooo good to get some speed.

Jill-looking forward to running with you.
Julie-I'll be your cheerleader if you'll be mine!
Slomo-A tank of oxygen? Hah!

ajh said...

Your first item is awesome! Love your list.

Meg said...

What an adventure you'd have visiting Machu Picchu, that sounds like an incredible trip...it can happen, right?! Great job on your run, you sound like you're going strong!

Jennifer said...

Fist pump back at ya! Yay for the increased intensity, after not having pushed hard I bet you will ove it! Great bucket list.

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

#1 is cool! Boston is I think is must for a runner.