Friday, January 29, 2010

Kara Who?




Last night, I got home relatively early from work, so that I could do my recovery run outside for a change. Work has still been crazy busy and I haven’t been doing my workouts until after 6:00 each night, so I’ve been “tread milling” it rather then risk slipping on ice in the dark. So I was already in a great mood because I knew that I would be running in DAYLIGHT for a change, when I reached inside my mail box and pulled out a new Runner’s World magazine! I’ve blogged before about how excited I get just to spend an evening reading the new issues. Yes, I lead a very exciting life.

I threw the mail on the table and anxiously grabbed the new magazine. I stopped short when I saw who was on the cover. Kara Goucher. I am a HUGE Kara Goucher fan, so I was thrilled to see her on the cover.

I quickly did my recovery run and my core work, so that I could get back to my magazine. Again….I have no social life people, this IS as good as it gets.

I was sitting by the fire place staring at the magazine when my husband walked in.

“What are you staring at?” he asked.

“I’ve got the new Runner’s World.” I replied.

“Ahhhhh….did you get the new People too?” He knows me well. He knows how I love to read my magazines.

“No, but Kara Goucher is on the cover!”

“Who???”

My husband is not a runner so I will forgive him for not knowing who Kara is, however, I showed him the cover of the magazine and he looked at her and instantly said.

“She’s not that cute.”



Whaaaa????? Kara is NOT THAT CUTE? Now this is the same man who thinks that the cartoon chick from the E-Surance auto insurance commercial is totally hot, so I have already questioned his internal hotness meter, but come on, Kara is cute plus she’s an awesome athlete.

I just walked away shaking my head in disbelief. I am still a fan even though my husband isn’t.

Disclaimer: No, I am not a gay woman. I just happen to really like her, she inspires me. Who inspires you?

27 comments:

Julia said...

haha, totally laughing at the whole "Progressive Insurance" girl being hot thing. Although I have to admit, I can kind of see where he's coming from. But Kara being "not that cute?" now.... hmmm... I would have to disagree. She kicks ass!

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

Kara is cute! And a kickass runner, I got that mag and tailrunner mag last night.

Lisa said...

LOL about your husband likingn the cartoon character.

I haven't received my Runners World yet but looking forward to receiving it.

Yea, Kara is cute and I'm totally 100% hetero.

e410 said...

Dude she is SUCH a babe. Are you kidding me? And she could totally kick our butts!

Jamoosh said...

The E-surance cartoon babe is hot! Kara is hotter though.

Jill said...

Hahaha....that just cracked me up! I think she's really cute, too, but I know many guys that don't think so. I mentioned Kara in my blog, too...we have very similar minds. Not that I wish mental mind games on anyway running a marathon, but it was soothing to read that she suffers from many of the same issues as I do. Looking forward to working out this weekend :).

Morgan said...

Kara is beyond inspirational and beyond hot and I totally have a girl crush on her!!!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

I think we all must have a girl crush on her!

Julie said...

Hi Tara,
I love reading the running magazines too!! I think Kara is hot..she has such a nice body with super sexy abs:) I am as straight as an arrow but will express truthfully if I think another woman is attactive! The comments that came out of your hubby's mouth were funny:) Have a great weekend Tara!!

Molly said...

Husbands are so witty aren't they? I love Kara's abs. I get inspired by Olympic athletes, I've already started the countdown for Vancouver...

ShutUpandRun said...

If I were a lesbian I would choose Kara. What is wrong with your husband???

Katie A. said...

The comments are classic!
I am a huge Kara fan, and if she asked me to leave my hubbs for her I would! (and I am a hetro too!) But I tell him that same thing when it comes to George Clooney and Hugh Heffner (hey, I those Girls Next Door live pretty coosh!)
You life is as exciting as mine, only I didn't get the mail out of the box yesterday...mine is still waiting :) Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

Funny. My husband is a runner. Its fair to say that he's got quite the crush on Kara! When our Runner's World came yesterday he immediately sat down and said "there's lots of pictures of Kara in here basically naked, nice".

ajh said...

I got my People today but no Runners World yet!

HC said...

Love her! Randomly saw her doing a long run on the Boston course last year and almost hyperventilated.

Marathonman101108 said...

OK, from a (53 year old) male perspective, I disagree with your husband about Kara being hot, and the Progressive Insurance girl being hot. I think that only real life women can be classified as "hot." As far as who inspires me running, all of my followers do. No "professional" elite runners inspire me, since none of them read or comment on my blog. However I do have some followers that are FAST runners. Besides, we all know that the elite runners who run are all really aliens disguised as humans, or some type of robots-Kara being the hot exception!

Marathonman101108 said...

oops, i meant to say I disagree with your husband about Kara not being hot!

Jenn said...

This cracks me up! I've pointed out an attractive woman to my husband before and when he doesn't agree I almost get pissed off. Now, who wants their husbands to be attracted to other women-me apparently! If I was a man I would most definitely be attracted to Kara Goucher!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

haha, too funny! I think she's awesome too! I love Paula Radcliffe too.

Meg said...

GIrl, I'm so disappointed in your husband! How could he talk like that about our Kara?! What about those abs? Oh well, I so get your dedication towards her and although you couldn't be here with "us," you were with us in spirit. By the way, I laughed at Anonymous' comment above.
BTW, I'm SOOOO going to buy a titanium necklace now!!

Tricia said...

Yep, she is GREAT!

Jennifer said...

I guess I didn't get my issue yet!!! OMG. I love Kara too she is very inspiring and she has the runner gene, I just pretend I have the right genetics. What inspires me...mmm... when I see people changing their lives through fitness.

Christina said...

Not that cute! Oh my gosh...being a Kara fan also I think she is super cute. I haven't read the article yet but hope to set aside time the next week to read the article.

Christina said...

This product has been a HUGE HIT for marathon runners-thought I'd share!

http://www.youtube.com/nurichegoodness#p/u/15/OSuplzv56Ys

www.NuricheWell.com

I'd love to get your thoughts!

Ulyana said...

I'd totally go gay for Kara, haha. She's awesome!

TX Runner Mom said...

LOL, I was excited to see her on the cover too! And, I agree, she is totally cute and a complete inspiration!

Anne said...

Okay...I really need to figure out who this Kara is and why everyone knows her...Can you tell I'm a newbie :) ...regardless, she's definitely hot!