Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Beautiful Blogger?


First off: Yes, I'm still in Accountant Hell Week, which has now turned into hell month, thank you for asking. Oh you didn't ask? Oh...okay, just keep on reading then.

Next, I have to thank two great bloggers out there for passing along the Beautiful Blogger award to me. Thank you to Mel of 2nd Chances and Lisa from Lisa Runs? Wait...What?

Now, I have to reveal 7 interesting facts about me. So grab a beverage and try to stay awake, because here are my facts!

1.) I took 13 years of ballet and 5 years of hip hop/jazz while growing up. Yes, you would think that I would have absolutely no problems with balance while doing the stability and bosu balls. Hmmmmm.
2.) I went vegetarian in September of last year. Yes, I am human and have slipped a few times, but overall, I feel lighter and healthier. Now, if I could just give up the beer, I would probably feel a lot better.
3.) My husband and I home brew our own beer. It is a lot of work, but we have fun with it.
4.) I own both a road bike and a mountain bike and I LOVE to ride them both!
5.) I had a Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism in October of last year. I realize that most of you already know this. What you don’t know, but I would like to pass onto you, is that it was caused by the Nuva Ring (my birth control). The number one risk factor from using the Ring is blood clots. I wish that I had known this before I switched to it this past year. Ladies, please, please, please check the risk factors of all of your birth control; especially if you are old like me.
6.) I will do my first tri in July. WHOOHOO!
7.) I got pregnant my freshman year of college. I went on to graduate with a double major in both Accountancy and Finance with a 3.89 GPA, all while raising a family and working as a bartender/waitress 40 hours per week. This is why it bothers me so much to hear someone say “I can’t”. I believe that if you set your mind to it, you can do anything you set out to do.

Hey….wake up, I need to talk about my training.

Training: Saturday, I did my 10 mile long run for the week. It was a beautiful day out, in the 60's, and I was totally overdressed, in long pants and long sleeve shirt. Yes, I did know that the temperature was going to be warm, but I am pretty retarded when it comes to dressing, so I wore what I thought I would be comfortable in. I am always cold, so I overdressing is a norm for me. I was soon covered in salt, pit stains, and a lovely smell. At least my lungs felt better this week due to the warmer weather. Last week’s cold weather had them feeling like someone had pulled them out, beat the crap out of them and then shoved them in backwards.

Sunday, I did a 45 minute bike and half an hour of strength work on the bosu ball.

This week is rest week. I am stepping back to allow my body to absorb my training and recover AND I have permission to run slow and cut any or all of my workouts short. Oh yes, I love rest week! I did a short 30 minute run last night and even took the dog. My form wasn’t so good, but we had a good time. I ran with leash in one hand and poop bag in the other.

I hope you all have a great week of training!

21 comments:

Molly said...

Great list, wow, you're a smarty...I admire people who can do math, sometimes I still have to count on my fingers.

Here's some of my latest running songs....Meet Me Halfway (black eyed peas), Relator (Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johannsen), Just Dance (Lady Gaga), Love You Madly (cake), Love you till the end (the Pogues), More Money More Problems (Puff Daddy)....

Christy said...

I've contemplated going vegetarian, because let's face it - I hardly ever eat meat. But I think what always turns me away from it is that sometimes I'm just in the mood for a good piece of chicken. Not often, though. But sometimes.

ShutUpandRun said...

Wow, that is wild that the embolism was caused by the Nuva Ring. You should sue. Then you could make a ton of money and enter every marathon in every state. Seriously that is so scary. I learned a lot about you with your list!! Glad you training is going well.

Katie A. said...

I can see you know - poop bag and all :)
I doubled majored, too! In accounting and finance/econ and got a 4.0, we are sooo much a like :) Power to the accountants! I hate the word, "can't." Funny side note that pertains to the "I can'ts" while in Disneyland all we saw were fat peeps on those electric wheelchairs they rented! It's like they finally came down with a case of the fatties and couldn't walk! WTF? You go to Disneyland and your legs don't work! Sheesh!
Will probably get some comments about that - but toally fits with the "I can'ts" Happy Tuesday!

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

Good job! A woman that can take a bull by the horn's. I can't give up chicken on the grill !!

Lisa said...

Yay! You know I've been thinking about you. There is a commerical on tv here for a lawssuit for people who took the Yasmin (sp) birth control pill and experienced health problems from it, including a PE. Birth control is hazardous to our health, more than having kids lol. Fun list!

Slomohusky said...

Wow Congrats on being so beautiful with your blog! Like your list especially the last item. Have a great rest week. I do have one big can't in life - roasted greek chix and Italian seafood stew - can't give them up. So, sorry I not will be able to do join ya on the meat free lifestyle. Although I am making a pretty good veggie chili tonight. Red meat is pretty rare for me - in a don't eat at all "rare" way.

Have a great day and hope the accounting nightmares end soon.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

hope that works slows soon! I know how those weeks..months can be.

Maybe you could post some tips for those of us looking to transition to vegetarian?

TX Runner Mom said...

Accounting was my nemesis in college - that and Finance it ruined my GPA. This is why I'm in HR, lol! Good to know about the Nuva Ring...my Ob/Gyn tried to get me to try it when I was nursing my 1st and needed to get back onto birth control. I wonder if there are really any safe options?

Marathonman101108 said...

Let's see, I must comment carefully since your post contains a lot of things I can't/shouldn't comment on! How about "Congrats on your successful smelly Saturday run?!" Yeah, that works... :-)

Jill said...

You DO have a beautiful blog, you so deserve that award. And you have a beautiful spirit which spews out in your words. I enjoyed learning so much about you...I was tagged by Mel to do the same list - will try to do that here soon but it will pale in comparison to yours. Recovery weeks rock. I'm in a quasi recovery week and so looking forward to running together Sunday. Remind me to bring my camera!! Sorry for hell work month, hope it lets up soon! See ya soon!!!! :)

ajh said...

I always overdress. When you see my friend and I running together we look like we must be headed to different climates to run. You sound like an amazing woman with great determination to succeed!

Jenn said...

Ooh! I love #3 and I love beer, especially microbrews! I don't drink that much of it but when I do, it better taste like something other than tonic water! Scary on #5-Glad you're OK! Congrats on #7. Excellent point! Enjoy the rest of rest week!

Jennifer said...

My favorite is number 7. As a college professor I see so many young women in your same position I am always amazed by the folks who push through the tough times. They are so much stronger and more graceful in life than the others. It is, in my opinion, so much easier to say, "I cant". Thanks for the list and a great story!

Meg said...

You are super cool Chick a Dee! I love it that you got pregnant and kept working your tail off, it goes to show you that it is ALL possible if you work hard. You are really an inspiration! Good job resting this week, sounds like your training is going well!

Julia said...

I did about that many years of ballet too! How dancing turned into running I still don't know :)
#7: WOW. You are truly amazing. I didn't know that about you.
Have a great rest week!

Jamie said...

I too was in ballet for that long and also question why my balance/coordination isn't better on a nearly daily basis.

Nice job on the stinky run!

Tricia said...

Loved the list!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Great list, scary about the embolism! Enjoy the rest week!! :)

kristen said...

Thanks for the heads up about the nuva ring. I just saw one of those commercials (the sleazy legal ones) where they list off drugs and ask you if you had certain problems with them to contact the "right away so I can get the money I deserve" douchbags. But anyways, I saw my bc pills on it and that was one of the sympotsm. Totally raised an eyebrow and I thought of you. Good to know and I'll be mentioning this to my doctor when I go in next month.

That's awesome that you brew your own beer. I love it. You shoudl do a blog post about that sometime. I'd love to hear about the work it invovles.

Good for you for graduating through all the hardships. It's made you a stronger woman for sure! Bonus - you look like you could be your daughters sister!

Molly said...

Hey....if you want to find me on foodbuzz, search for MollyB under foodies...are you on there??

Happy Friday!