Tuesday, January 5, 2010

1st Post of the New Year!

My Uncle from Missouri sent me this picture. I hear that they are "enjoying" some single digit temps in the midwest this week. It is going to be in the 40's here in Colorado today. Break out the bikini!



I did my first long run of the New Year on Saturday! Granted, it was only 6 miles, but my marathon is still 123 days away (according to the widget over there to the right), so I should be ok. I’m back up to 8 miles this weekend.

I found out my coach was pregnant yesterday. I read it in her blog and my first reaction was “OMG, I’m so sorry!” and then I remembered that her and her husband have been planning to have a baby, so I posted my congratulations on her on her blog and facebook. I know a lot of people who are pregnant right now. My boss is pregnant, my coach is pregnant, and I have several friends who are pregnant. Whatever they are drinking….keep it away from me; I want to get this darn marathon ran.

Anyway, I was feeling all warm and fuzzy and truly happy for Liz until I looked at my training schedule and noticed that she had added a run test in the upcoming weeks. She even taunted me with the words “OH YES-IT IS TIME”. Now those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile have heard me complain about this test before. You know why? Because it is 20 minutes of all out pain. I’m not that big a fan of pain, which is why I don’t run those 5K things; too much hurt packed into a small amount of time. Anyway, she does these tests so that she can see where we are in our fitness level, etc, etc. I have obviously gotten out of them over the last few months due to doctors orders of “no pushing myself”. Well he cleared me to push myself, I told her it was ok, and then she put that damn test on my schedule. I will be dreading it for the next two weeks.

I’ve also been switching up my strength/core work by going from the stability ball to the bosu ball. She’s given me new workouts on this thing and my arse and legs are sore, which made my 5 mile fartlek run last night quite painful. Ouch!

I hope everyone is having a great week. I will “see” you soon since I will be catching up on posts! Happy Running.

21 comments:

Jesse said...

My wife posted that same picture on her blog - sums up how many people feel here in Missouri. I don't mind it too much, but it's starting to get a little old.

Enjoy your run test!

Morgan said...

You are going to do great on your test!!!

So when I read that your coach is pregnant at first I thought it said couch and I was confused and thought you were about to tell a funny story. I need sleep! LOL!

Julia said...

haha, love that photo! I don't think I could survive a week in snow....

I totally don't run 5Ks for the same exact reason... But I know all your hard work will show on your test! You'll do great!

Katie A. said...

So this test....what does it entail? And I am sure you will do FINE! You are a kick-ass running chica!
Its been in the 40's and 50's here, too and I couldn't be happier!

Jamie said...

Is it sad that I am headed south for work today and looking forward to their 35 degree temps? It's been so COLD! Good luck with the test- you'll do great!

Jennifer said...

Ha ha, funny comments about being preggers! Not my bag, so I know how you feel! Love the picture and congrats on the growing mileage!

Jill said...

Bask in the 40's today - I hear in the single digits for Thursday. Ugh. How long til spring? I've had enough.

The pic is funny. I felt like that on Sunday all day.

Yes, keep the prego water away from you...I gotta see that marathon in ya, too!!!

Rachael said...

I would of thought the same thing, "Oh, I'm so sorry for your illness ..." haha, I think a pregnancy would be the end all to my running career at this point because I just got into it and I would totally use that as an excuse to fall off the wagon ...

Meg Runs said...

I think that's neat that you got the okay to push yourself, it means you're HEALTHY!! (and not pregnant). So, could you imagine me pregnant, at 44 with a grandchild? OMG, I would freak out. Gosh, I don't even like seeing this in print! AHHH.
That marathon of yours has really creeped up...how exciting!

kristen said...

your so funny. i'm glad you congratualted her rather than offering your condolences.

Slomohusky said...

Wow, must feel great to be afraid of this run. I guess as Meg Runs points out - you are healthy, or back! Great news Tara. Have fun being afraid.

ajh said...

I am new to your blog. I will have to go back and read more about the test run. How long have you had a coach? Should be fun following you!

Ashley said...

I might have to steal that photo. The weather in MO SUCKS right now! We have close to a foot of snow on the ground from 2 weeks ago and we have another winter storm headed our way today! School is cancelled for this entire week cuz the roads are so bad. It's ridiculous. They are saying that we haven't had a "cold streak" like this since '96! I would looooooove to see 40 degrees right now.

Good luck with your test run!

Molly said...

We have 45 inches of snow in Syracuse! It's been snowing for a week with no end in sight. I did buy a pair of yak traks to run outside, so we'll see how that goes.

ugh, a run test, I've never done one but it doesn't sound pleasant! Have fun! (sarcasm) : )

Ulyana said...

Liz was my coach earlier this year. I learned a lot from her, and I found her training plan very easy and doable. Unlike in the past where I was worked like a horse and always felt tired.

I might get in touch with her later to help me train for the 70.3, but it's really a matter of the $$$ right now.

Good luck with the test. I loved those!

Ulyana said...

earliest last year... ooops, it's 2010

Kristin said...

I'm starting to feel like I may have carved that sculpture... :)

TX Runner Mom said...

Love the pic. Here in TX it's going to be frigid through Sunday, so I will be feeling the same way by the time our cold front has moved on!

Jenn said...

Love the pic!! Everyone I know is pregnant right now too! Sooo glad it's not me! Good luck with the training-I hate the 5K distance!!!!!!!

Christy said...

Have fun during your run test! Sounds brutal!

M2Marathon said...

YES, I know SO MANY gals who are pregnant right now too! I am saying the same thing as you--keep that filthy water away from me!

ZOMG I love me the Bosu ball. I do all my free weight stuff using it either faceup or facedown (you decide whether you want the flat part of the ball part to be considered the face) and it works wonders for the balance and all those odd little connector muscles that you didn't know you had until they are so sore from the Bosu that you can't put your panties on without wincing. Or maybe that's just me.

I am flip-flopping whether I will do Colfax or Colorado in May?! Pros/cons for each and I can't obviously do both (much as I wish I were I am NOT a Maniac [yet]) and I need to decide before CO is sold out...yikes!