Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Training and a Gratitude List (long past due)

How would you like to live next door to this house? You would have to wear a welders mask in order to get any sleep at night. The house down the road was even worse.



We drove around looking at Christmas lights this past weekend; you could see these houses a mile away. I even busted out my Victoria Secret Christmas CD for the special event. We had a blast.

Training has been good. Saturday I did my longest run that I have done since the 20 miler two months ago (before I had the PE). I think that it hurt just as bad too. I eeked out a little over 5 miles and then went home and collapsed on the couch. It's going to be a long, slow road to where I once was, but I'll get there! Next weekend, I hope to be back up to 6 miles.

Sunday, I rode the bike trainer for about 35 minutes, keeping my cadence above 85 RPM at all times. I then did some stability ball exercises. I hate that damn ball, but my core is starting to see some definition again, so it must be working.

I just realized that I haven't done a gratitude list in quite awhile, so here it is:

1.) I am thankful for my job. Yes, I do complain about it and I sometimes hate it, but there are so many out there without jobs, so I have to be appreciative.
2.) I am thankful for Starbucks Gingerbread Lattes and Diet Mountain Dew. Without them, I would be a grumpy bitch in the mornings.
3.) I am thankful for my health insurance. I am starting to receive all of the bills from my October hospital stay and my subsequent treatment and they are in excess of $40,000 and they STILL keep coming. Not to go all political on you, but I would hate to be someone without insurance right now. You never know what will happen and I feel for people who are losing their homes, etc in order to pay for health care. My yearly cap on my insurance is $3K.
4.) I am thankful that I do not live next door to someone who has lights all over their house like in the above picture. Homeowners Associations are worth something after all.
5.) I am thankful to all of you who take time out of your day to come and read my blog! I will be reading all of your posts very soon!

Happy Training!

12 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Love your list...i agree about the job and Starbucks Gingerbread Lattes! :-) Great job on your run, too!

saundra said...

Great gratitude list- so true. And good job with the workouts! I'm starting to get jealous of your abs.

Molly said...

nice job on your run, you're getting there!

I thought you got that photo off the internet, until I noticed your daughter! There is a house a few streets from us, and they have over 60 blowup christmas decorations on their lawn, he thumbs his nose at the association every year!

Slomohusky said...

Lights I don't mind, and usually enjoy like little first grader - the annoying blow up Santas, Frosties and big Snow Globes? Yikes! Makes me want a big blow up Godzilla to step on them all!

Tara be very proud of your recovery. You will get it all back. Plus, now, once you get it back - the new appreciation for it will be HUGE. Great example to us all.

Amen, on the healthcare/insurance note.

Merry Christmas!

Katie A. said...

Best.gratitude.list.ever.
I am sooo glad you are back to running and able to hit up the trainer. October seems so long ago but really it wasn't.
Looks like those peeps have watched Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation one too many times. And Amen to healthcare coverage - for those of us who are so lucky to have it (and the job that provides it I guess). Have a good week girly!!!

Jennifer said...

Great list, I am grateful for my insurance as well and really wonder how folks get by without. Good to see you getting back to normal, however long it takes it will be worth it!

Jill said...

Love your gratitude list! I am currently one of those souls w/o insurance due to a huge, long ordeal but that should hopefully change soon. The thought of continuing on this path just makes me want to vomit! Okay, I am kinda dramatic...you know me :). I'm glad I don't live next to a house like that also, but how fun to drive by 'em, eh?
Thanks for your well wished and congrats on my blog - it means a lot! When you get up and running again and want a partner, remember where I am :). I'm probably going to be "lucky" to get in 6 miles next week - total. Ha.
Happy Tuesday!

ShutUpandRun said...

40KKK???? That would buy many, many gingerbread lattes. Great job on the run - I am only up to 3.2 miles. Only 144 days to go. Did you realize it's on Mother's Day?

Lisa said...

Great job Tara. You are getting there. Yep, you and me will be slow getting back but we WILL get there. Take care!

RunToTheFinish said...

I lOOOOOOOVE christmas lights, seriously it's one of my very favorite things.

Glad you are slowly, but very surely making your way back to running

Jamie said...

sometimes it's nice living in the city. you don't get all those crazy lights/blow-up santa action happening :)

i like your gratitude list!

Meg Runs said...

Great list! We have a house on our street that illuminates the sky and I just turn off my headlamp when I'm about five miles away and it lights my way home...it's kind of a gross Christmas joke! Guess who lives there?? 5 single 25ish year old guys!!! I'm no Grinch but geesh...save some energy for the rest of the world, pleeeze!