Monday, December 7, 2009

Runner's Rules and a Recap

I went shopping over the weekend and bought my dog a new Santa Claus loofa dog. She loves it! I'm sure she will have the legs chewed off in a couple of days.



Friday, I received my January issue of Runner’s World in the mail. This is always a special treat; I love pulling the stack of mail out of the mail box and seeing a brand new issue nestled among all of the bills and junk mail. Friday, there was a new Runner’s World AND a new People magazine in there. All in the same day!!! I was so excited!

This should tell you how pathetic my social life is.

There were a lot of good articles in there. I also found a list of Runner’s Rules, which was from the book “The Runner’s Rule Book” by Mark Remy. I thought that I would post them because a lot of them pertain to me.

1.) If you see a porta potty with no line, use it. Even if you don’t need to.
2.) If you have to ask yourself, does this driver see me? The answer is no.
3.) If you have to ask yourself, are these shorts too short? The answer is yes.
4.) 1 glazed doughnut = 2 miles
5.) You rarely regret the runs you do; you almost always regret the runs you skip.
6.) Not everyone who looks fast really is, and not everyone who looks slow really is.
7.) Nobody has ever watched Chariots of Fire from beginning to end. Not even the people who made it.
8.) You can never have too many safety pins on your gym bag.
9.) Running any given route in the rain makes you feel 50 percent more hard-core than covering the same route on a sunny day.
10.) If you care even a little about being called a jogger versus a runner, you’re a runner.

Good stuff to know. I always adhere to rule number one. Katie-pay particular attention to rule number two. Everyone else-pay particular attention to rule number five.

Saturday I got in an easy 4 mile run in out in the freezing cold. I swear even my brain was frozen by the time I got home. I wasn’t thinking very straight, so it had to be a block of ice. Sunday, I tackled the 1 hour stability ball routine. The routine included a lot of core and arm work and I am sore! I did however; manage to stay on the ball this time. I had some issues with falling off the ball while doing ab work last week. It wasn’t a pretty sight.

Hope everyone has a great week of training!

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Totally agree with rule #5. I had a similar quote in a post recently and I'm thinking I might make it a permanent text box on my blog. Oh and rule #4, good to know lol.

Morgan said...

Love the list, thanks for sharing. I missed my LR this past weekend and I am regretting it so bad!!! Coach said to just shrug it off and move on but I am so guilt ridden! Must be a runner eh?

Katie A. said...

You are one funny chic! Thanks for the rules, you are right, #2 is very important for me! And no, your social life is no pathetic, you just have your priorities right :)
Great job on the cold run and the stability ball workout - core training is always worth it no matter how sore you are! Have a gret week girly!!!

Jennifer said...

Love the list! I can't wait for my copy to arrive. I am with you on the cold, it's been brutal here, but getting back to normal. At least for me the cold is here only every now and again. You get kudos for dealing with it for a several whole months!

Molly said...

number 8 was funny, I always grab the safety pins when picking up my race number, even though I have them coming out of my ears.

Ulyana said...

HAHA at #10 - I used to get PISSED (just inside my head... not on the outside) when people would refer to me going on a run as jogging. I don't care if I'm going slow - I'm running, damn it!

ShutUpandRun said...

I can't wait to read the book. There needs to be something about crapping in bushes though. So glad you are running. I'm up to three miles. When we are both healed and this snowy cold mess is gone, we need to run together to train for May! I have not yet signed up with Liz, I'm going to see how my training goes. If I decide to do a half IM or an ultra I'm going to call her for sure.

Meg Runs said...

I GOT MY TWO FAV magazines in the mail on the same day too! BTW, number 10 is my favorite!

Jenn said...

Love the rules!! #6 always gets me. It never fails that I get beat in a race by someone wearing Umbro shorts and Reebok pumps..lol! I LOVE Runner's World and Running times. It always makes my day when they come in the mail. Way to get out there in the cold!!

Jesse said...

Why did you get your Runner's World two days before me? (my social life is pathetic too, and I need some stimulation)

Jill said...

Hahah, love the rules! I love #1...seems I always have to go to bathroom 50 times before a race!!

Love your dog's new toy - how cute!!!

Stay warm...it's sooo cold out today in Denver!

Jamie said...

I got so excited when RW and US Weekly arrived the same last week!

Anonymous said...

1 glazed doughnut = 2 miles

HOLY CRAP! I'm never eating a doughnut again. I hate running! Thanks for sharing sis! ;)

HappyTrails said...

I am a frequent porta-potty flyer - I agree, never pass one up. That's one other nice thing about being a trail runner, though - lots of bushes, trees, and boulders that work well as pseudo porta-potties! LOL! Hey, it's way COLD!!! I have a feeling we'll be burning up the trainers these next few weeks (we don't have a treadmill). This is so weird, weather-wise, as we usually have a window to at least get out for a few miles - not right now. BRRRR...