Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It will be a white Christmas here in Denver. I look forward to the holiday and the coming of the New Year. I will take all of the stress and frustration from the past few months, roll it up in a tight ball, and throw it out the window; it’s time to start a New Year, a new outlook, and a fresh start. Cheers to you all and here’s wishing each and every one of you a positive new year as well.

I will also take all of the cookies, egg nog, junk food, and holiday imbibing and kick them to the curb as well. Yes, fresh start.




First off, I would like to tell you about a really great giveaway over at Katie's blog One Run At A Time. Check it out, she's giving away a 2010 Runner's World Calendar. Pick me! Pick me!

Training: This has been rest and recovery week for me; I am taking a step back and allowing my body to absorb all of my training. My new year’s goal is to have NO INJURIES OR MEDICAL ISSUES! This past weekend, I did my “long run”. I am now back up to 6 miles and it feels great!

Treadmill Test: Tuesday, I did my treadmill stress test. I reported to my cardiologist’s office and the staff proceeded to strap all of these wires and gadgets on my body and instructed me to jump on the treadmill. I assumed that I would be running the whole time and that the pace would just gradually increase, however; the exercise physiologist had other ideas. He started me out on a 10% incline and a 1.7 pace and every couple of minutes, the incline would increase by two and the pace would speed up. The goal was to bring me up to my max heart rate, so they could take pictures of my heart under stress and compare them to the pictures at rest. I finally maxed out at a 20% incline; I was running and holding on for dear life. During the test, they were taking my blood pressure and all vitals with each increase in the phase. The whole process was extremely interesting and I have to ask myself, “WHY did I become and Accountant?”

I did receive good news. My cardiologist said that my fitness level was amazing for a person who just had bilateral pulmonary embolism not two months ago. I think that I even impressed the man. He said that my heart was strong and that I could definitely take my training to another level should I wish to continue marathon training (yes, he said that I could!) He did warn me about a few things and these are things that I will have to think about and make a personal decision on, but I’m not sure that I want to live my life based on things that may or may not happen.

Gratitude:

I am so thankful for my health and my strong heart. I have been stressed this month thinking that something may have been wrong with it.
I am thankful for the people in my life that make me smile and laugh.
I am thankful that this work week is ALMOST over.
I am thankful for the snow.
I am thankful that I have not gained any weight (I’ve actually lost weight!) from all of the crap that I have been indulging in lately.

Ok, now it’s time to catch up on YOUR posts. Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to you!

13 comments:

Morgan said...

That's great news girl! Congrats!

Enjoy the holidays and cheers to a wonderful New Year! You're going to kick 2010's butt! :)

ShutUpandRun said...

I am SO thankful that your heart is as healthy as it is!!! That is just great news.

Kristin said...

Wow, that is really great news and a nice way to start the New Year!

I am also ditching the treats and imbibing, though kinda sad to do so... :)

Meg Runs said...

I'd like to kick that ball of stress and "what not" out the window! for you! It's always nice to move on and start out fresh in all areas at this time of the year! I remember when you had that episode with the embolism and it was so surprising but you have just always stayed so bright and positive even though it was scary to even think about. SOOO glad that's over and you can move on. Here's to 2010(glass of apple juice raised up)and to health and more happiness! Merry Christmas Tara, thanks for the laughs!!

saundra said...

Yay, Tara!! You are so going to kick butt in that marathon! Hope you have a great holiday with lots of training and a happy New Year.

HappyTrails said...

I am thankful you received such a fantastic report from the doc - how awesome is that???!!! As for me, I AM partaking of some of those yummy cookies. Who needs gels or energy bars right now? It's cold - we burn more calories when it's cold, right? :-) Have a FEW cookies!
Enjoy a very merry Christmas and a great jump start to 2010!

Slomohusky said...

Great Tara. Merry Christmas! Cheers to good health and happy new year of running (of course everything else as well).

Jesse said...

That's awesome news about the stress test! Can't wait to read about your first Marathon next year.

Tricia said...

congrats on your great health news!

Jennifer said...

Happy Christmas! and congrats on the good health news!!

Jill said...

With news like that from your cardiologist, I hope you had the Merriest of days today! I am in awe of all you have had to endure! You're going to have a great year in 2010, I can tell!

I ate myself to about 5 extra lbs today so I'm all for the frest starts, too!

I am SO very happy for you!! :)

Molly said...

Nothing like impressing a cardiologist! Very happy for you that you can get back to marathon training, double thumbs up!

I'm ready for a New Year too, time to get back on track...not only did I start off today with a chocolate cookie and coffee, but I had a Quarter Pounder at a rest stop for lunch. yikes.

TX Runner Mom said...

Terrific news!!! Hope you are enjoying the holidays!