Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I've Picked a New Marathon

I had a doctor’s appointment yesterday and he cleared me to go ahead and start training for a marathon again. At my last appointment we had discussed the possibility of me running one in February.

I had originally asked about December or January, but he looked at me like I was smoking crack, so I changed it to February and only received a minor eyebrow lift, so I had been hunting for February marathons.

Anyway, we had discussed me running my first marathon in February at my last appointment and when I brought it up again yesterday, he said that I would probably be fine, but that I most likely wouldn’t get the results that I wanted.
“March?” I asked.
“Well……” He looked kind of pained, so I quickly asked about April or May.
“I’d say that you could tentatively sign up for one in May.” He replied.
“May? Wait, back up, did you just say tentatively?”

Apparently, the good doctor thinks that I may still have problems next year, which may be a reasonable assumption. I have permanent lung damage and it may take awhile for my body to compensate this. As for the clots, well they damn well better be dissolved by May or I’m filling a complaint with my body. Get ‘em out, come on, move ‘em a little bit!

So, I’ve decided to sign up for the Colorado Marathon in Ft Collins, Colorado on May 9th, 2010. It will be my very first marathon. Cross your fingers. I was actually supposed to run the San Antonio Marathon two days ago as my first, but, well, we all know what happened there, but let’s forget about that and start fresh. I’ve even changed the little widget over there on the right. See….I have 172 days. I ran a half marathon there last year and really liked the scenery of the course, so I decided that I couldn’t go wrong signing up for the marathon. Plus, if I have to cancel, I won’t have to cancel hotel and flights, which was a pain in the rear.
I’ve started hunting around for new races and trying to set new goals for 2010. I even mentioned that to my coach that I would like to try a triathlon, which got her really excited, so now I’m hunting down sprint triathlons. Anyone know of a good one?

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

20 comments:

saundra said...

That's great news, Tara!!! Good luck with your training.

Lisa said...

Great news! Glad you found one that doesn't require travel too.
All the race reports I read about the San Antonio RnR marathon were not good, so I bet you didn't miss much. Anyway, glad you got the go ahead to start training.

Jesse said...

The Colorado Marathon? Isn't that the one that runs (downhill) through the Poudre Canyon? That would be an amazingly scenic choice for a first marathon! Glad you got the go ahead to train!

Slomohusky said...

Great Tara! As you know I am new to your blog, so I am getting caught up on the lung problem. Very sorry this happened, but very happy you get to train again!!! I might be doing my first full marathon in over 13 years that same month. Sounds like you have a good Doc as well.

Thanks for the comments on my Blog. It is P.F., a mild strain under my Arch. I have had the injury before, but it was on the heel. Much more painful there than on the Arch. Taking some time off.

Morgan said...

Yay for the Ft. Collins Marathon! We will be here every step/run of the way to cheer you on! Keep listening to that body and the doc though... no pushing it! We want you to make it there in one piece!!!

Katie A. said...

Yay!!!!! I am so glad that the prognosis is getting better every time! And a Colorado marathon as a first timer will be awesome!
I can't wait to start this new journey with you - you're gonna rock it! :)
BTW, I love the new widget!!!

Molly said...

You have a fresh new Marathon widget, that's awesome! I'm sure the time will go by quickly as you train for it, remember how you were bugging about how quickly San Antonio was coming up?!

ShutUpandRun said...

OK, I think I'll sign up too. I don't want to make travel arrgmts either then have to deal with that if I get injured again. I'll check out the website. I think I'll be in marathon shape by May, fingers crossed.

Jill said...

That's great news!!! Yes, finally! I hear positive things about Ft. Collins marahton, the first half being just gorgeous and downhill.

Meg Runs said...

Okay, that's so exciting and I am happy for you and your new goal(s) you "whipper-snapper!" No one can keep you down girl, go for it! A triathlon too, sounds like a new year of adventures for you...so fun!

ShutUpandRun said...

OK, did you see where the marathon starts at 6am and the shuttles go up at 4am? You better start getting your beauty rest right now. I'm going to bed early.

cheryl said...

Great News! I like your never quit attitude!!!

Jamie said...

Yea for a new marathon goal! I'm sorry to hear you will have permanent damage but it's good news you'll be able to work through and still go for the goal!

Melanie Tait (Mel Tries to Run) said...

That's awesome. I would imagine a marathon in Colorado will be close to heaven! I hope you don't have to run up and down any mountains though :)

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Yea for a new plan and new goal. I hope everything works out as planned. Good Luck!

kristen said...

yeah girl!! I think sighning up for one in May is a GREAT sign! I also totally think you should do a sprint. I'm so glad you were able to get something on the calendar.

Jenn said...

It's nice to get something nailed on your calendar and have that "thing" to work towards. Hopefully, all goes well in your training and your body holds up!! Triathlons scare me-I don't exactly love the water! Good luck to you!

RunToTheFinish said...

kudos on not pushing to run one too soon and WOHOO on having one all picked out, it's so exciting!! I am glad you are on the mend

Jennifer said...

Excellent news! This too is my second time around for 1st marathon training. It goes much easier the second time, well at least for half of it. Congrats on getting back into it!

Ulyana said...

This is really exciting! Can't wait to read about your training :)