Monday, November 9, 2009

Can I Eat Cheese Fries and Stay Fit?



That shit eating grin on my face is the result of a great Saturday afternoon bike ride. It was great because the route was semi hilly and I made it up the hills and didn’t sound like a 70 year old smoker hacking up a lung. Once my lungs are healed, I fully expect to be back to normal and hopefully have my lung capacity back. It certainly gets better every week. My bike computer said that I averaged 26 mph with my max speed being 42.7 mph. Now if you believe this, I have some super great land to sell you in the Florida Everglades, complete with your own man-eating alligator. The truth is, I recently changed the battery on my bike computer and I haven’t reset the wheel size on the computer, so it is not giving me accurate stats.

Sunday, I got out and hit the pavement for a nice, easy 4 miler. It was a beautiful fall morning and I was so happy to be out running again, even though at this point it is still slow. Stupid pulmonary embolism. At this point, my “training” is more of a mental sanity check then anything else. I’m not going very fast or very far, but if I don’t work out, I start to feel like crap and think that I am losing all of my muscle tone. I know that I’m not the only one out there that feels that way. Right?

Speaking of muscle tone, I was snooping around on blogs this weekend and there was a Youtube video from the Shut Up and Run blog caught my eye. The video started out with a picture of a set of boobs, but the video was actually about the new Reebok Easytone shoes. Not sure what boobs have to do with a pair of shoes, but I’ll roll with it. Anyway, these shoes are being sold with the sales logo that if you wear them, they will tone your legs and butt just by walking in them. Tone your legs just by walking in them? If that is the case, why am I even bothering with running and biking? I’m just going to eat cheese fries all day and walk around in these new shoes; I’ll have the fittest butt in the Rockies.



In other news, my birthday is today and we celebrated by going downtown yesterday to see the musical “Wicked”. This show is awesome, if you ever get the chance to see it…GO! You won’t regret it. Even my husband loved it. Anyway, while we were downtown, I got the chance to snoop around in my favorite bookstore “The Tattered Cover”. I bought the book “My Life on the Run” by Bart Yasso. I had heard good reviews of this book and am very excited to read it. Anyone else heard of it? I’ll let you know if it’s good or not.

Have a great week of training!

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy birthday to you! So what, you're 25???

Slomohusky said...

Congrats on your Birthday! Sounds like you had a happy day!

Hmmm or, Mmmm Reeboks means eating cheese fries? Now their is some Brand marketing :). Fun.

I have heard good things about the book as well. Let us know if it helps, inspires or is fun.

Happy Birthday! Did you get anything from REI or the new Running Store for your Bday?

Molly said...

Happy Birthday!

That's great you got in a full weekend of outdoor activity! You're gettin' there!

I'm seeing Wicked in January, looking forward to it already.

Have a great day!!

celmore said...

Happy Birthday!!! I will admit that I took my wife to Wicked a couple of years ago for her birthday and I thought it was great. Hope you post your thought on the Yasso book.

Katie A. said...

Happy Birthday! So glad to hear you're back to running and biking! You look great! ;)

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday- You look fantastic!

Ulyana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

And, yay for being back! No matter how fast, you are back at it, and that's what matters.

Meg Runs said...

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear Tara...Happy Birthday to you! 30 years young, no wonder you can eat so many cheese fries and look like your daughter's sister!
Happy running again...you're back!

Jesse said...

Happy belated birthday.

When I was reading how fast you were going on your bike, I immediately thought "holy sh*t she's fast for recovering". You shouldn't have ruined it by telling us that you changed the battery.

Is this land you have in Florida close to Disney World?

kristen said...

Happy belated birthday girl!

Sounds like your actually making great ground on the workout front even though you don't feel like it. I have wondered aboutthe reebok shoes too. I'm waiting for someone to get them to see how they 'workout'.

RunToTheFinish said...

ohhh wicked is super great and so is that book!

glad you had an amazing ride, sounds like you'll be joining lance armstrongs team

Jamie said...

Happy belated bday! I really enjoyed wicked when I saw it a few years ago. Life on the run is a fun read! Love bart!

HappyTrails said...

Happy Birthday! Did you get to go on a BD shopping spree at a running or bike shop, or REI???!!! Heaven! I'm with you - I get a wee bit cranky not to mention feeling bloated, fat, and gross when I can't get out for a run or a ride - LOL! When you put in a few good miles, a few cheese fries (or chocolate) won't hurt anything!
:-)
Kathleen

TX Runner Mom said...

Happy birthday! So glad you like Wicked, I love that show. Oh, and I've actually been to the Tattered Cover while I was in CO on business a few years back. Great store! I've seen those shoes too and they always make me laugh. Way to go on the ride and the run!!!

Jamoosh said...

The Yasso Book will make you want to go out an run - just because.