Monday, November 30, 2009

Back to Training.

Pictures of my favorite trail in Missouri. Rock Bridge State Park. I managed to log some miles here this past weekend!

These pics are from an internet search. I didn't take them.




I’m back from our Thanksgiving trip to Missouri and man, do I have a lot of blog posts to catch up on from you guys!! I love it! I hope everyone had as great of a holiday as I did. The weather in Missouri was awesome ( in the 60’s) and I was able to get in several short runs. I’m not sure if it was because I was at sea level or what, but this was the first time that I have done any runs where my lungs felt strong and it didn’t hurt to breathe. I am encouraged.

Running Recap:
On Thanksgiving day, my husband and I got out for a 4 miler to get some exercise in before the big Thanksgiving day meal took away all of our motivation to do anything remotely healthy.
On Friday the 27th, Rick and I drove over to Columbia and I did a 4.5 mile trail run at Rockbridge State Park. Rick’s knee was bothering him, so he opted to hike instead. The weather was great and it felt so amazing to get out in the woods for a run. Trail running is one of my absolute favorite things to do and I was bouncing up and down in my seat with excitement as our car turned into the trail head. I couldn’t wait to crunch through the leaves on those trails and listen to the sounds of nature. I am at peace in the woods. I would like to do a couple of marathons and then maybe switch gears and do a few trail races. I know of a couple of great races that are held in Missouri and I could train for them out here in Colorado. Running at sea level, yet training at altitude is awesome.
Saturday, Rick and I woke up and went to meet a group of friends at Trumans for breakfast. We had stayed out late the night before eating pizza and drinking beer with friends at a place called Shakespeares and my system was FULL of grease. If anyone is ever in Columbia, Missouri, you absolutely have to go get a pizza at Shakespears. I have never eaten anything as good in my life. Anyway, to de-grease ourselves, we ate breakfast and then headed over to do another trail run. Rick’s knee was feeling better, so we got in another great 4 miler.

We drove back to Colorado yesterday and I am now on a mission to “de-crap-tify” my system. I ate so much junk food and grease that I’m surprised it isn’t flowing out my pours.

One last thing. Today marks the first day back to having an official training schedule with my coach. I logged onto my Trainingpeaks account and saw the words “Welcome back Tara!” and it absolutely made my day. I am so excited to be working towards my marathon goal again. The month of December will be slow going with a lot of technique and strength work, but I can’t wait to start working with Liz again.

I will be catching up on your blogs in the next couple of days! Happy Training!

12 comments:

Morgan said...

Welcome back! I just enjoyed the fresh air of Colorado and thought of you as I did a run! Glad you had a wonderful holiday and welcome back to training time again!!! I'm right there with ya!

Slomohusky said...

Sounds like a nice holiday spent home. Thanks for sharing the pix. These most be older pix of course with all the green. Which is something I miss about the Midwest. So, Green from Eastern Kansas and thru all of Missouri. Great times back there for us. Really miss how friendly everyone is. Don't miss the ice storms, minus temps and chiggers in the spring/summer! I do miss the fireflies and Cardinals (actual birds, not St. Louis ones) Love Midwest college towns as well.

Take care Tara. Glad you got in some miles.

Katie A. said...

Welcome back Tara!
So glad you got some awesome runs in! And those trails are beautiful! I did a trail run last January and have been itching to get back to one - they are so much more challenging!
So excited you are working your way back - it is sooo good to hear! Have a great week! :)

Molly said...

Happy you had a nice holiday, you go with your DAILY runs!!! On trails no less, pretty photos. I hear you about degreasing, I think I ate a whole pumpkin cheesecake over the weekend, and I don't even like pumpkin.

Jamie said...

Looks like an awesome trail. Great job on the holiday running!

Meg Runs said...

Yeah, good to see you're out there having fun. Gorgeous pictures! I'm detoxing from the holiday too; it was fun but ahhhh!
Welcome home!

Lisa said...

Glad you are back Tars! Gorgeous pics of the trail.

Jesse said...

How exciting to be back on a training plan!! Rock Bridge looks like a great place to run - do you know any good trail places closer to KC?

Jennifer said...

What a lovely trail to run on! Sounds like you had a great holiday and are getting healthier every day!

TX Runner Mom said...

Welcome back! Love the pictures. Glad you had a great holiday!

RunToTheFinish said...

ok so while I can't say shakespears is my favorite it sure is a memory....ah CoMO. That is a great trail too...gosh it's been too long

Jill said...

Welcome back to Colorado; gotta love this 15 snowy degrees today, huh? Welcome back to your training again, too. Love the comment about the de-crap-tify...

And great pictures!!