Monday, November 2, 2009

An Active Weekend.

So after my extremely short 1 mile run last Thursday, I started to get freaked out that maybe I was pushing myself too much too soon. I fretted that I would cause a setback to my health, so I rested the remainder of the day, which was easy to do with 16 inches of snow on the ground. Friday morning, I had a ton of energy and noticed that I could actually bound, not walk, up the stairs with minimal shortness of breath. So of course, I did a two mile run on Friday. Getting up there in the mileage huh???

Saturday morning was beautiful and the temps rose up into the 60’s, so of course I was itching to get out and run. Only in Colorado can you have 16 inches of snow on the ground and be out and about in shorts and a t-shirt. Most of the snow had melted off the road, sidewalks, etc, so I had a clear running path to do a short run in the neighborhood. I got in a three mile run at a 10:45 pace and called it a day. It was so pretty out; I would have liked to have run longer, but again, I am trying to take it easy, so I went home to watch my Mizzou Tigers spank the Colorado Buffalos.

Sunday, Rick was doing a road bike ride and I thought that maybe I would follow along. I had no intention of doing a very long ride, but I managed to get in 13 miles. We rode on the Cherry Creek Trail towards downtown and I hung in there with Rick for a little over 6 miles and then decided to go ahead and turn around and let him continue on without me. There are some long inclines on the way back and I knew that I would be pedaling up them very slowly, so I wanted to get a head start. I hadn’t been on a road bike ride outside since our 80 mile Copper Triangle ride, so it felt awesome to get out and spin the legs a little.

I spoke with my doctor this afternoon about my progress and he said that it was fine for me to be doing short, easy paced runs, and bike rides, just nothing too strenuous for another two weeks. The only thing that he is concerned about at this point is the possibility of a clot deep within my pelvis. Ultrasounds can not detect these types of deep clots and the only cure is just time. I will see him again in two weeks and if everything is well, he said that he would give me the “go ahead” to start marathon training again. He said that if I found one in February or later, I could sign up for it!

I, once again, need to catch up on everyone's blogs. I hope everyone has a wonderful week of training!

11 comments:

Katie A. said...

Yay! February will be here before you know it! So glad you are feeling better and knockin' out some miles! :)

Chad Sayban said...

That's a great start. Take it easy building a little bit at a time and you'll be back at it before you know it.

Jennifer said...

You are heading in the right direction! Yea for you! Sounds like you live in a beautiful place. I have been to Denver and Boulder but never in the winter!

Meg Runs said...

Yeah, health is wealth! Sounds like you're on the right track, I'm so happy you can get out there and do something!! How fun, you get to pick out a new marathon!

saundra said...

Yay, Tara's back! So glad to hear you're recovering so quickly! I know a great marathon in Georgia at the end of March...
:-)

kristen said...

I'm so glad your able to get the HR up and your legs moving a little bit. Must make a world of difference in your mood!

Lisa said...

Glad you are becomming active again. But don't push yourself too much. Great news about being able to run a marathon next year. Baby steps and you'll be back in no time.

TX Runner Mom said...

Great job on your bike ride and your run! Baby steps! Before you know it, you'll be back to your old pace and distance.

Jamie said...

The CO is crazy - I love it! I'm glad you are able to ease back into it, get some easy workouts done. Feb will be here before you know it!

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh i like your doctor. anyone who tells me I can do something rather than RICE when i'm hurt is my firend

Jamoosh said...

Damn - I love bounding. People should bound more often. I mean really, can you be sad and bound? I think not.