Saturday, October 17, 2009

Life Has Thrown Me a Lemon....

But I plan on throwing it right back.

Wednesday morning I woke up to intense pain in my chest and back on the right side. Very uncomfortable, I tossed and turned for the rest of the night, but I had a hard time falling back to sleep. I finally got up to go to work and felt like I had some fluid in my chest. I coughed it up and noticed that there was a little blood. The Colorado air is dry and unforgiving and I often have a few early morning nosebleeds, so I did what any normal runner would do, I ignored it and hoped that it would go away. Bad move. A couple of hours later I was in the urgent care doubled over in pain and bawling like a baby. They ran a few tests on me and then sent me to the emergency room after a clot test came back positive. I had a CT on my lungs and the diagnosis came back as Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism. I had a blood clot that had traveled up from my legs to my lungs. The good news is that it was a massive clot that had broken apart and settled in multiple little clots in both of my lungs, so I am alive. The bad news is that my first marathon in San Antonio is out. Yes, the marathon that I have been training for and I have been so excited about; done. Trust me, I have asked a total of three doctors so far whether or not I will be able to make it and they have all said no.

I may make an appointment with another one, just to see if I can get a better answer.

Along with the PE, I had lung infarction, which is lung tissue death due to lack of oxygen. The docs told me "NO RUNNING" for at least two to three weeks. What? I didn't hear you?

Anyway, I spent a few days in the hospital and was released yesterday. I spent a night in the ICU and a night in cardiac care. The hospital was really nice, better then some of the hotels that I have stayed in. They even had gourmet room service. Scallops, steak, prime rib, seared salmon. The second day that I was there, I didn't eat anything due to vomiting. I'm not sure what was wrong with the dude in the next room, but he spent most of the day hacking and coughing up phlegm and snot rockets. Well I matched him one for one. He'd hack up a lung, I'd go make horrible retching vomit sounds. My daughter came to visit me and I greeted her with a wave as I ran to the bathroom to throw up. Not to be outdone, the guy next door started in on the snot rockets. Madison looked a little ashen faced and left soon after.

Friday morning I woke up and was ready to eat something off this gourmet menu! Room service opened at 7 and I had the phone in my hand ready to order huevos rancheros with jack stack cheese and vegetarian green chili sauce.

Sounds like a heart attack, but remember, I was on the cardiac floor.

I called and they said that my doctor had switched me to a bland diet. DAMM IT! I had a garden omelet and special K instead. I got my omelet and it looked sooo damn good, I was salivating and ready to take my first bite and that bastard in the next room starts with his snot rockets.

Ok dude, you win, I thought as I reached for my Special K cereal.

So I was finally released and I'm really sad and disappointed that I will have to postpone the first marathon, but I'll be back. I did take a moment to step back and appreciate the fact that I have such amazing friends and family and I'm glad I'm still around to enjoy them. My husband is one of the most generous people that I know and I am so glad to have such a close relationship with him. My daughter is a typical teen, but she shows that she cares in her own way and I am thankful for her. I will take care of myself and heal my body and sign up for another marathon in the spring.

So, I've got an appointment with my new blood doctor on Monday and I'm gonna ask him if I can run the half marathon in San Antonio instead. Plane tickets have been bought, hotels booked, and I have a number, so what the hell. He'll think I'm nuts, but I am nuts, so at least we will be on the same page with that one.

20 comments:

HEATHER @ runfastermommy! said...

WOW that's some serious stuff! I'm glad you are ok. I am with you, I hate hearing no running, but....NO RUNNING! Take care of yourself so you WILL rock that marathon next time!! Sending healing thoughts your way!

Jamie said...

Wow!!! Bilateral embolisms are no freaking joke. I am glad you are okay! It seriously sucks you won't be able to run SA but your health is way more important. There will be more marathons to tackle when you are 100%. I'll be thinking of you and here's to a speedy recovery!

ShutUpandRun said...

Oh my god. Seriously. Are you kidding me? My dinky stress fracture ain't nothin compared to your damn embolism. Are you just trying to top me??? I am SO sorry. That sounds really awful and really serious. I guess having drinks in SA is out??? Keep me posted on how your recovery goes. Maybe we can pick the next marathon to do together and can actually meet for some runs. Serioulsy, take care of yourself, my friend.

Jesse said...

Holy cow - glad you're ok. Not that I'm glad that you had a BPE, but at least the clot didn't land somewhere else (like your brain). Scary stuff. I think I'd freak if I started coughing up blood.

There will be MANY more marathons to come, and delaying this one is fine! You can still enjoy a little weekend getaway to San Antonio.

Chris said...

I'm so glad you went to the hospital before it was too late. You're so fortunate to be here. You really are.

PLEASE relax and follow the doctors' orders. You're young and there will be plenty of marathons in the future. Let those lungs heal! Take care of yourself!

kristen said...

Holy crap girl. I'm so glad to hear your ok. That crazy! I'm glad you are feeling so furtunate for what you have rather than getting crappy about not running. Yeah, not running totally sucks right now, but you will live to run again. Don't fret.

p.s. I think that's what Phil had....on deadliest catch. Only he was a zillion pack a day smoker so his coughs probably sounded like your friend next door. Gross. sorry bout that.

Jamoosh said...

Holy funkin' shat. WTF Girl? I am so bummed for you. The good news is that you are OK. Take it easy and you'll be back in no time.

Come do Tampa in February - I'll pace you to the finish!

Meg Runs said...

You poor honey!! I hadn't read your blog this week and I was wondering if something had happened....ugh! That really scared me but I'm sooo happy you're okay. DON"T RUN! You have your whole life!! I didn't even do a marathon until I was 40, girl you have LOTS and LOTS of time!!

aerorunnergirl said...

Holy. Cow. I am so glad you're ok! Seriously, take the doctor's advice and take it easy for a while. I know that is probably the last thing you want to hear, with all the training you've been doing... But there are marathons every month of the year, and you can only run one if you're healthy. :( I'm sorry. I'm wishing you a very speedy recovery!

Marathonman101108 said...

OK, I will now stop complaining about the stomachache that I've had on and off for the past week. My trip to the doctor today wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours. Relax, listen to your doctor(s), and get well soon. You still can go to San Antonio and take a mini vacation. Or maybe you can get a refund on the plane tickets (?) and cancel your hotel reservation.

Lisa said...

OMG Tara! I'm so glad you are ok? Wow, how scary. I understand how disappointed you must be but please take care of yourself so you can run later.

RunToTheFinish said...

Oh my gosh tara, you are taking this so well... that sounds terrifing! But you are right runners are stupid and we ignore all kinds of things.

Can you tell me more about how a blood clot travels from your leg? Do you get tha tfrom living at altitude?

no running and a bland diet...maybe they are trying to kill you. I'd get out of there

Ulyana said...

Hi! Thank you for sharing this with us. Your attitude is really inspiring, and I'm so glad that you are with us - but mainly your family and "real" friends, of course.

Just think about how if you didn't run, what your life would be like... you'd probably get the embolism sooner... who knows, but running is a really good thing for you.

All I can really think of is - I'm so happy you are alive!!!!

Molly said...

OMG!!!!!

Wow, an embolism, that's nuts! Very sorry that you had to go through all that. That sucks about the marathon, and the no running for now, but hopefully that means you'll be even better for the next round of training.

I hope you're better soon, and that you can enjoy a kick ass dinner once the bland diet is done!

Now go catch up on mindless crap like US Weekly and Real Housewives!

saundra said...

OMG!!! I'm glad you are okay. Take care of yourself!

Katie A. said...

HOW DID I MISS THIS POST? OMG! I AM SOOOO SORRY! You are such a trooper! I can't believe this has happened? I am glad you are on the mend! You can't run! You have to stay healhty and stick around a long time for that awesome hubbs and cute teenager! Feel better! :)

Katie said...

Just re-entered the blogging world after three weeks and I am doubled over with this post!! OMG, Praise God that you are alive and with us... working in the healthcare industry I know how serious this diagnosis is. Thank the Lord that the clot busted up and you are alive! This is a manageable condition and you will be running a full marathon in no time! Thank GOD!!
On another note... you won my giveaway!!!! I need your address so that Fitness Magazine can start sending you your subscription :) email me at krwhitney2700@yahoo.com.
God Bless you sister!

TX Runner Mom said...

Wow, how did I miss this post! Glad you're okay, but that sounds like some scary stuff!

M2Marathon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M2Marathon said...

--deleted my previous; had too many typos, note to self, typing on laptop while laying on couch does not result in clear typing--

ZOMG! That is major! While mine is just a pesky little foot fracture, I completely know how it feels to not be able to run that first marathon that you've been training for, and waiting for, and crazy-anxious to do...and how it feels to not be able to run for 3-4 weeks and totally stir crazy about it!

BUT the good news is that you are here, you will rest, you will heal, and you will run. Take it easy and pick a nice spring race. I am thinking February or March...and Colfax or Colorado Marathons here for easy backup plans!