Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Walking Post!

Check out my in home pharmacy. Notice the red biohazard container to the right there....pretty sweet huh.



Now...I know, sit down, try to hold in the excitement people I'm getting to my walking post. I just wanted to share photos of my drugs with you first.

Walking is about the only activity that I can do right now (see last post if you have no idea what I am talking about), so I was thankful to get out and enjoy the warm Colorado sunshine on Sunday. I gathered up all of my gear. Dog, leash, poop bag, and yes, I took my Garmin. Why? Because I missed it. I walked down down to our neighborhood park for a little dog chuck it action. What a gorgeous afternoon!

The walk was great; this no running thing is not so great. It's hard to believe last weekend I ran a 20 miler and this weekend I could barely get up the steps without breathing heavily.

Stats:
Distance= 1 mile, Average pace = 20 minutes per mile (I rocked the shit out of that walk), Average HR = Beating (no I didn't strap on my HR monitor....I thought about it), Average dog craps scooped along the way = two. There is just something about being out in nature that gets that dogs bowels going.

I had to work in poop somehow in this post. I can still talk about bodily functions since this is a running post, even though there will be no running for another two weeks.

In all seriousness, I wanted to thank everyone for their kind comments about my recent health issues. I really appreciate all of the support that was sent my way. I'm just taking it one day at a time and taking very good care of myself.

A couple of people asked what caused the pulmonary embolism. I am working with a hemotologist to find out that answer, but I do know that both my mother and my grandmother have had clotting issues in the past, so genetics played a major role. I was also switched to an estrogen based birth control this past January, so he thinks that the hormone estrogen is another factor. We are doing more lab work to further research the cause. In the meantime, I am starting a 6 month treatment of blood thinners and I have been on a Lovenox shot since last week. I give the shot to myself. Eeek.

I did end up back in the ER on Sunday night due to extreme pain in my back. Aparently this is normal and I could have this for as long as my lungs are healing. Shit. My hemotologist told me that the pain was actually a good sign because it means the clots are dissolving and moving to other areas. So pain = good. I don't care, bring it, I got a perscription for some narcotics at the ER, so dissolve and move you little bastards. I'm ready to run again! I truely believe that I am doing so well with this whole mess because I am a runner and my body is so healthy. I think that it would have been a lot worse otherwise.

Congratulations to everyone who raced last weekend!!

Madison and a friend carved pumpkins on Saturday. Check them out, they did a great job and had a lot of fun!




12 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Suh-weet Bio-hazard container! Place it between the pumpkins on halloween and you'll have the coolest decorations your side of the Rockies!

Chris said...

You have really been put through the ringer. Keep taking care of yourself. Your walk sounds perfect to me. My son [12] was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was five-years-old. We've been dealing with injections and sharps containers for years [although he's on the pump now]. It STILL bothers me. Hang in there! Sending you good juju!

Lisa said...

Hey girl, get off the pill and tell the hubs to get fixed. That's what I did. I stopped the pill after about 35ish because I was afraid of the "side effects" of it. I think we are probably about the same age and I think the pill is more for the young ones. Anyhow, so glad you are feeling better and hopefully you will be running soon. Yep I agree, the running probably saved you. Literally. Take care.

Meg Runs said...

YOU are a spit-fire...first of all, you torture yourself by bringing your Garmin on a walk...photos of Biohazards in your bathroom as if it was a vase of flowers and, ugh, shooting yourself up with Lovenox(hmm, love that name). I guess I should expect nothing less from you tough girl. Poop in your post no longer affects me! Get well!!!!!

Morgan said...

There's always gotta be poop... I mean I have come to expect poop when I visit so dang it all poop there should be.

Now as for you young lady, just keep taking it one step and day at a time...

ShutUpandRun said...

Just for the record, you can talk poop any time even if you're not running. And yes you did rock the shit out of that walk! A 20 minute mile? Man girl you have an 8 hour marathon in you!!! I just know it. Seriously - thanks for sharing what could have caused all of this - I was wondering that too. Take care of yourself. Tell me what the doc stays about SA. Hoping to still meet you in person one of these days.

Katie A. said...

I am still in shock!
You are a real rockstar getting out and going for that kick-ass dog walk. I laughed when I read you brought your Garmin! Hahaha! You sound like a walking pharmacy, too! You can run in two weeks but can't run a marathon? Or a half? Sounds strange...I bet you could walk the half!
Heal well, and know that I am sending lots of good thoughts and vibes your way girly! :)

Molly said...

You have to give yourself the shots? Did you practice on an orange first?

Glad you took your garmin, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Hope that back pain goes away soon!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Dang Girl! I am ssoooooo sorry to hear the bad news. I know you are so disappointed about the marathon, but yes, you will be back and spring will be here before you know it.

Jamie said...

Love the red biohazard/sharps container! Adds a little something to the kitchen. I'm glad to hear you are on the mend with some nice meds.

RunToTheFinish said...

i walked the shit out of that.. HA!

Jennifer said...

Found your blog quite by accident, glad I did seems we have some friends in common. So sorry to hear about your illness and having to quit your first marathon! I too am training for my first marathon, and have enjoyed reading your training adventures! Keep up the positive attitude it will serve you well!