Friday, October 30, 2009

A VERY Short Run

Wednesday night I got in another trainer ride on my bike. I made it 40 minutes, at a very low cadence, with minimal shortness of breath. I felt pretty proud of myself and got off the trainer with a shit eating grin on my face. I was just so happy to have gotten in a little bit of exercise, not that it is really helping me in my training process, but it was more of a mental thing. I felt like I had done something.

Thursday we got up and there was about 16 inches of snow on the ground. Whoohoo, snow day! Rick had taken a vacation day from work and my office closed down for the day, so we leashed up the dog and took her down to the park behind our house. Check out these pictures.

The Park behind our house

Walking to the Park

Look at that snow in our chairs!


Rick ran on our treadmill Thursday afternoon and I eyeballed him with envy throughout his run. I hate running on the treadmill, but at this point, any run would be acceptable. I finally decided that I would get on that damn thing and do a short run, just to see where I am at with the whole running thing at this point. The clots are still in my lungs; apparently it will take a good three to four weeks for them to dissolve. The doctors have told me to just take it easy and just do what I feel like I am capable of, which is a little frustrating because I want to know when these clots are gone. There is no follow up process to check the status of the clots or my lung damage unless I go back in and get a CT on my lungs, which is expensive. I am just supposed to keep working with my hematologist to make sure my blood is clotting properly and let everything else heal on its own.

Anyway, I got on the treadmill and made it a little over a mile and it took me almost 13 minutes to get the first mile in. Now on my last run test, I clocked a 6:46 minute mile, so it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to tell me that I still have some lung damage in there. I got off the treadmill and I must admit that I was a little disappointed and frustrated. I am obviously not ready to run yet, so I’ll just spin on my bike and give my lungs a chance to heal a little more.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and good luck to those racing. I will be catching myself up on all of your blog posts this weekend!

18 comments:

Meg Runs said...

Yeah, you're getting some exercise and feeling better. That's great that you're taking it slow AND enjoying the snow. The picture of the park looks like a greeting card, gorgeous. Have a nice weekend and I hope you just keep getting better and better!

saundra said...

The snow is beautiful, thanks for posting those! Glad to hear you are getting back into groove, albeit slowly. Take care.

Morgan said...

The first snow is always my favorite but man... that's a LOT of friggin snow!!!!

Jesse said...

13 minutes for a mile after having a pulmonary embolism is pretty darn good, I think.

The pics of the snow covered park are making me insanely jealous. I miss a good, solid snow (without the ice that Missouri gets).

ShutUpandRun said...

Yay for you getting on the treadmill. I am jealous!! Glad to hear you are back in action. Hopefuly I will be soon to follow.

Molly said...

great photos! It must have felt good to get on the treadmill, even though it was for a short time, baby steps. You'll be rockin it in no time.

Lisa said...

Beautiful pics but all I have to say is BRRR!

Glad you were able to get in some exercise and that you even ran. Take it slow. You are in great shape so all that will come back quickly.

Katie A. said...

Wow! Those pics are just awesome! Sounds like you are feeling a ton better! The trainer will help you, don't fool yourself. And that run, don't look at it as a failure, you actually ran, pat yourself on the back! (and I might add, it's even a faster time then they require to walk a marathon at 15:50 pace!)
Enjoy the day off and the beautiful scenery! I am jealous! I'm itching to snowboard but no snow yet in Tahoe. :(

Jennifer said...

Awesome snow! It's not common down in MS, but where I grew up in the North East I remember the fun we had on a good snow day. Glad to hear your are healing up some, take it slow and you will be just fine!

Jamie said...

Yay for snow days! Glad to hear you are slowly but surely getting back into the workouts. I know it's frustrating but it will come back!

Chad Sayban said...

Yikes! Those pictures are exactly why I live in the desert. Burrr!

Go easy on your comeback. Let your body tell you what you are ready for and don't push too hard until you know everything is ready.

Jill said...

Back in action with a 13-min/mile is nothing to sneeze at. It will take some time to get back where you were but you will in time!! Well done!

I'm sitting here looking out my bedroom window and am in awe at how much snow melted today. But then I was in awe at how much we got, which was ridiculous! So ready for spring already. Hahah!

Happy weekend!

chris mcpeake said...

Here comes the winter.
Treadmill how I hate you

kristen said...

I love snow pictures! (not a fan of snow in my yard lasting longer than a day or two though:)

I know it sucks and it's frustrating, but you gotta be cool. Running setbacks happen to the best of us. and to be honest, when I had to take a TWO MONTH hiatus - I cam back stronger than ever! Hang in there girl.

RunToTheFinish said...

Oh how i missed my endorphins when I couldn't do much. I had to learn to love the low key for awhile!!

Man that snow is amazing! I'm thinking huh it's like 90 here...strange

cheryl said...

Just catching up on your blog site. Sorry to hear about your PE, but sounds like you are making a great recovery. Be patient and keep on moving.

Jamoosh said...

Sweet Pictures!

TX Runner Mom said...

Glad you're at least able to get on the bike. I love the pics of the snow, especially since I almost never see that here!