Monday, October 12, 2009

Stick a Fork in Me, I'm done with my 20 Miler.

I did my 20 miler yesterday. I had planned on taking a post long run picture of me, but my hand was way too tired to set the self timer and I was too tired to ask anyone to take a picture of me. I amazed myself by getting off the couch to feed the dog. I am so thankful that my husband and my daughter are pretty self-sufficient otherwise they wouldn’t have eaten last night. I am glad the 20 miler is done because training is officially wearing me out. I did 18 miles last weekend at a 9:13 pace, then an additional 14 miles throughout last week, two bike sessions, some strength training, and a little “getting to know my local pool” session. Yesterday I did the 20 miler at average pace of 9:39 and average HR of 175. Stick a fork in me, I’m done.

The temperature was hovering around 11 degrees when I woke up on Sunday. The high for the day was only going to be 41, so I thought “the hell with it, I HAVE to get in 20 miles today, no ifs and or buts so might as well go ahead and get it over with”. I did the usual pre long run preparations and drove over to the trailhead. I was doing the trail that I hated today. I have always had crappy runs on this course, but it is gravel, so it was best for the stupid foot that has been bothering me. One of these days, I will have surgery on the foot to correct the 1st metatarsal and I shouldn’t have anymore problems. Or so says my podiatrist surgeon.

Anyway, most of the run was uneventful, just tried to keep a good pace and work on my marathon fueling. I was running fairly slowly to start with because there was places where there was snow on the trail, but I got in a good 7 mile warm up and then tried to hit my goal pace for the next 8 miles or so. My legs felt like lead, so I just tried to hold it as best as I could. Around mile 14 or 15, I started having some stomach issues. Now this would be the very first time EVER during a run that I have had cramping, so I tried to ignore it and hoped that it would go away, which was probably not a good idea. There were no porta potties on the trail and the trail itself was fairly busy, so I tried to scope out a “homemade potty” should I need it. There’s a little creek that runs along most of the trail and at mile 16, I scampered down the hill to the creek. I have heard a saying that you are not a “real” runner until you’ve “done some business” on one of your runs, so I congratulated myself on my initiation. I proudly clawed my way back up the creek bed in order to get back to the trail and startled a couple of runners in the process. They probably weren’t used to seeing people crawling and cursing their way out of a creek bed. I was dirty, tired, and my stomach was still cramping, but at least I only had 4 more miles to go. I finally hit that 20 mile mark and I asked myself: “Can you go 6.2 more miles?” My answer was “Yes, I can!” It might have been slow, but I would have done it. I am encouraged and almost ready for the marathon. I just hope that this whole stomach issue thing doesn’t become the norm. I was trying a new fuel drink, so I won’t be using that anymore.

My daughter will be so embarrassed that I am talking about such things on my blog, but from my experience, most running bloggers totally get it.

The rest of the week is rest week. Short runs and just a few cross training sessions. ONLY 33 MORE DAYS TO GO!

15 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Nice.

You'll be kickin' some marathon booty in a few weeks.

Lisa said...

Wow, that's a fast pace for such a long run and you did it. Congrats. I cannot ever imagine running that far, let alone doing it in freezing weather so I give you major props. Bummer about the tummy issues but I guess now you've been initiated. I read a suggestion recently that marathoners should pack some toilet paper in their fuel belts or waist packs for just the very thing that happened to you. Can't remember where I read it but my guess is that those people who do pack it and need it are so glad that they had it lol. Enjoy your rest week, you've earned it!

Molly said...

That's so great that you felt like you could go another 6 miles when you were finished! It sounds like you are more than ready, just stay away from that new fuel drink!

Katie A. said...

Great job on the run girly! And yes, you are officially a full runner! You are hardcore going out in the snow and cold and kickin some 20 mile butt! Have a great slow down week, you deserve it! :)

kristen said...

Oh yeah girl. I totally get it. What I don't get is how you went this long without doing it? :)

Great job. Way to work through the tough spots. Training runs are all about figuring out what works and what doesn't. Hopefully you'll nail that nutrition next time around! Good job girl!

Jesse said...

Great job on the long run! And a great pace too. It's awesome that you felt like you could go another 6.2. After my last 20 I thought there was no way I could continue.

I carry TP in my camelbak on my long runs, just in case. Haven't needed it yet, but I'm sure my day is coming. And yes, as a running blogger you are allowed to talk about any and all bodily functions that occur immediately before, during, or after a run.

ShutUpandRun said...

Awesome, awesome. I know it sucked to run in CO this weekend. But you did it and with only 33 days to go, you are ready. We are still going to SA even tho I won't be running. My husband is doing the half. Hope we can meet up at some point. Where are you staying? Is your family coming?

Ulyana said...

I'm very proud of you and your 20 miler. GOOD JOB!

It's so close, it's so close!!!! Well, I don't need to get you even more excited!

TX Runner Mom said...

Way to go on your 20-miler and what an awesome pace! I think we've all had bathroom issues of some sort on a long run...mine resulted in poison ivy! Sounds like you're going to rock that marathon!

Julia said...

You did it! Congrats! It's really motivating to read your post; my 20 miler is coming up... gulp!
That part about you coming up from that creek bed def made me laugh!

Meg Runs said...

Maybe I just spaced out but did you just change your blog?? I like the right hand side, nice pictures of the blogs you visit. Can I copy that?
Anyway, welcome to the world of outside poopers, visit Slomohuskies blog for another poop story from this weekend, don't wanna miss this one.
Yeah, the long run is done, rest up now!

Marathonman101108 said...

You are kicking some training ass with your runs. Great pace for a long run. Looks like you'll be more than ready in a month. At least you're smart enough to try a new fuel drink now and not at the marathon. Congrats on joining the "super pooper's" club. I haven't joined it yet, and hopefully never will! Way to tough it out. Also, you're officially a running blogger when you talk about bathroom issues in a post. I AM a member of that club! Congrats again.

Jamie said...

Stomach issues on runs are the absolute worst. Way to fight through and hit 20! You are definitely ready for the marathon!

Believe said...

Keep it up!! HAHA I love that you can openly celebrate in your 'business' ;) Whenever we would have....gas...issues (the friend of mine and I who ran a marathon together) we would simply rejoice...because they were 'Power boosts'-sure to pick up our paces ! lol

happy running!!

Jill said...

Well done on the 20-miler! I have stomach issues all the time - the worst are when you get them in a marathon...ugh.

Where did you run your long trail run? I, too, live in Denver and always looking for a different route to keep that long run not so dreadful sometimes.