Thursday, October 1, 2009

Happy October 1st!



Swine Flu has officially invaded my workplace. An employee left work sick the other day and as soon as we got word that it was swine flu, her office door was shut and hazmat was called. Not really, but the way we all reacted, they might as well have been. Hand sanitizers and Lysol are out in full force. I associate the smell of Lysol with the bathroom, so our office smells like one giant smelly toilet. If you so much as sneeze or cough, you best turn and run because you may get sprayed with the Lysol. So what if it gets in your eyes; everything is fair in love and war and swine flu. I have heard through the grapevine that the policy is that if you come down with this flu; you will not be allowed to return to work for 7 days. Seven days? Sounds like a damn mini vacation to me. Anyway, I have taken precaution as well. I’m sucking zinc tabs like they are candy and I have vats of hand sanitizers. I’m thinking of going out and buying one of those medical face masks. I do not want the swine flu; I do not want any flu. Keep your freaking germs away people; I have a marathon to train for!!

Training has been going well. I have been doing a ton of strength and core work this week; trying to get my muscles strong and less wimpy. My coach also added swimming to my schedule for Monday. She kept asking me if I wanted to add it as cross training and I keep putting her off. I suppose she finally got tired of my waffling around and just added it anyway. I, of course, didn’t do it and opted to do core work and spinning instead. In my defense, I told her that the only swimsuit that I owned was a string bikini, which does not work well while swimming laps. Not that I would know, but I can only imagine.
Tuesday, I did run drills at the track, working on form and cadence. Last night I did another thirty minutes of spinning on my bike trainer and then put in thirty minutes of strength work on the stability ball. Oh….my arms are sore today, which is a good thing, but goes to show you how wimpy they are. If the stability ball can get them, imagine what some weights would do. I shudder in horror.
I will be doing an hour run tonight and I will be working on hill work. I really wish that I had time to go out to the mountains, but those trails are too far away for a work week, so I’ve got another good hill in mind. I’ve got to climb the hill 6 times, 3 at a comfortable pace and then 3 at a hard pace. In between hills, I need to “cool down” in zone three or tempo pace. I’m tired just thinking about this workout.

Family Update: Well this weekend is Homecoming at Madison’s high school! I will be sure to post the pictures of her dress. She has been going to activities all week after school for spirit week. I asked her if they were making a float and she looked at me like I was crazy. She had no idea what high school float was. Doesn’t any one do this anymore? Remember building floats on top of a trailer in high school and then having them in a homecoming parade? Is this too old school?

I've been so busy this week that I will be, once again, catching up on everyones blog at some point today. Happy training!

12 comments:

Jamoosh said...

What they hey - No float? This generation sucks.

Lisa said...

Great picture!

We had a meeting at my work just the other day about germs and being sick. There are anti-bac wipes and hand sanitizer all over our office as well.

Good God woman, you are hardcore in your training. Nice job and good luck with it.

Fingers crossed we don't get sick!

Jesse said...

Yeah, if someone gave me the swine flu before the marathon there would be hell to pay - my payback would probably get me deported back to Canada.

I can't believe all of the cross-training that you're doing. Impressive!!! I need to learn to incorporate some other activities next marathon round, since right now all I do is run.

Molly said...

no floats?!?!? No sitting around making thousands of tissue paper flowers to decorate it with?!?!?

the newspaper I worked at got an anthrax letter in the mail...they gathered us all in the lobby to say there was nothing to worry about. Then a guy in a full hazmat suit walked out of the mens room. Nice.

have fun on the hills....

ShutUpandRun said...

I so laughed at the picture. At first it was bringing a tear to my eye, then I read the bottom and cracked up. Can I steal it? Swine flu has become such an issue in Longmont too.

Good for you and your great training...looks like we may head to San Antonio after all so Ken can run the half and my friend Julie can do the full (she was supposed to pace me) and I can sit on the sidelines drinking heavily and crying. Well, hopefully not. So maybe you and I will meet one of these days...still want to talk to you about your coach...

Ulyana said...

That picture - haha, thanks for a good laugh. Ok, swine flu in the same office - that's serious. PLEASE BE SAFE! I hope it doesn't get anyone else.

RunToTheFinish said...

they say you should only be sick for 3 days with it..i'm happy to say I have it if I get 7 days off. seriuosly I have plenty to do!

Meg Runs said...

Wimpy? Somehow that doesn't seem like a good word to describe you! Yes, we want to see the homecoming dress(and shoes)! Regarding SWINE FLU, wash your hands because you NEED to keep running!!

kristen said...

HA! When I returned to school I totally thought of wearing one of those face masks around campus. I didn't do it and I got sick...I'm just sayin'.

Ashley said...

Hi, I made my way over from Run to the Finish. Nice blog! Oh, and yeah...a string bikini will not work for swimming laps if you want "the girls" to stay put. ;) But it is a nice low-impact work out and kind of relaxing. I enjoy swimming laps. Nice work with all your cross training and good luck with your marathon!

Jamie said...

I remember the float days and then bonfire afterwards. How can there be no float? Am I really that old?

Anonymous said...

Heck no we still do floats & bonfires here in good ole mid missouri!!! :)