Monday, October 5, 2009

Feeling Good Again.

Ahhhh...relaxing (Finally) after the long run.



18 miles-DONE. Well, actually it was only 17.34 since I was only supposed to run for 2 hours and 40 minutes. The thought crossed my mind to go ahead and finish off the 18 miles, but my legs threatened to leave and never come back, so I went ahead and stopped at 17.34 miles. Average pace 9.13 and Average HR 174. It feels good to have that over with, now I just have to conquer the 20 miler next weekend.

I felt good about the run and I haven’t felt this way about my last two long runs, so I definitely needed that confidence boost. I did a nice easy paced warm up and then ran almost eight miles at my marathon goal pace, then took a nice easy paced cool down. I stopped at mile 10 to take a gel, hit a rest room, and refill my water and the thought slammed into me that I still had 8 miles left. When I looked at it in that perspective, it seemed a rather daunting task to me, so I quickly told myself to just take it one mile at a time. I didn’t want to get caught up in the negative thought process that would kill my run. Isn’t it funny how the mind works? I had actually planned on running on a totally different trail, one that was gravel and would have been better for my feet, but I switched trails because I have had two bad long runs on this particular trail. I chose a trail that was all concrete, the whole 18 miles, but I have always had great runs on this trail. I needed to feel good about this weeks run, so that I can enter next week’s 20 miler in a good frame of mind.

Family Update: This weekend was homecoming at Madison’s school. It seemed like an all day event. Hair, makeup, last minute dress alterations…whew, I hate to see what prom is going to be like. She had a couple of her friends over to the house so that they could all get ready. They sat around thinking about getting ready for an hour before they actually got ready. Then Rick drove them to a restaurant so that Madison and eleven of her friends could have dinner before they went to the dance. I stayed behind to cook our dinner, but we both went to pick them up and drop them off at the dance. I hear that it was a great time! Check out her pics.

Before and after photos of the hotties.




14 comments:

Morgan said...

Great job on your run!!! Good job not pushing it, especially if the legs were about to embark on a strike! :)

They look so cute and pretty! Man... those were the days...

Molly said...

Nice job talking yourself out of a potential mental block. Sounds like your brain is in a good place for the rest of training.

What a fun stage for your daughter, seriously you look more like her sister than her mother!

ShutUpandRun said...

Gorgeous girls. I wish I was that young again. You should have had her wear a running dress. Great job on your 18 miler (well 17.34 is close enough). I am jealous!! You are doing so well, keep it up.

Meg Runs said...

Good job on your 18ish miler! Doesn't if feel great to check it off the list? Smart of you to switch trails so you end with a smile.

Yes, those pictures bring back the memories of my daughter...not too long ago!

Lisa said...

Very nice run you had, I bet your 20 miler will go just as well. Thanks for the encouraging post on ym blog today... you are right I just need to sign up. Cute pics of your daughter... time goes by fast doesn't it?

Jamie said...

Awesome job on the run! Isn't it funny how a small change in thinking can make the miles so much more doable. I break mine down into 4 miles which every time I get to fuel. Makes it so much easier than thinking of the whole shebang! You'll do great w/ next week's 20.

Girls looked great for the big dance!

Jesse said...

Great job on the long run - and a fast pace too! 20 miles will be no problem for you now.

Did you take an ice bath afterwards? My legs were pretty p*ssed off with me the first time I ran that far, and they needed to be calmed down in a tub of freakishly cold water.

kristen said...

18 miler. check. Great job girl! When I have a bad run on a specific raod/trail -- I'm over it. I either avoid it or force myself to have a *good* run on it to get rid of the bad vibes. Were freaks.

I'm glad you got your diet squared a way and the chicken helped.

RunToTheFinish said...

way to go on a good run, that mentally is huge!!

man homecoming...I so remember that and yes it was totally an all day thing!

Katie A. said...

Don't get too hung up on the mileage...sounds like you did an awesome job hitting some good running paces and you rocked it for almost three hours! Great job!
The girls look great! I kind-of envy them, then I smack myself and remember, I don't want to go back to high school! Maybe college, but NOT h.s.! ;)

TX Runner Mom said...

Way to go on the run!

Such cute girls! I agree with Meg that you look more like a sister than the mom. :-)

Anonymous said...

OMG is that my niece! She looked so beautiful! I can't believe she is that old. I guess that means I'm getting old too? Damn...

18 miles? Ok, you motivated me to go to the gym :)

Love your slacker sister.

Julia said...

niiiiiice job on your long run! I'm glad to hear you were able to get a confidence-boosting LR in :)

sam said...

Wow 17.4 miles. How long have you been training for? I can barely make it past 4 miles without wanting to keel over and die. Please tell me it gets better.