Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Do you Ice?


Well, I’m glad to see from all of my comments that no one was grossed out on my post yesterday. I think that Jesse put it best when he said: And yes, as a running blogger you are allowed to talk about any and all bodily functions that occur immediately before, during, or after a run.” Good times people!! However, in light of this, I feel like I should be honest about my pace. The pace that I quoted did not include the “bathroom break”, so I would have actually been a little slower on my pace. Not much mind you; I didn’t sit out there with a magazine or anything, but it still would have been a little slower. I realize that I will not be able to turn off my timing chip, so I need to start leaving the Garmin on when I take potty breaks, so that I can get a true time on my marathon. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to pause the timing chip every time you stopped to venture into the porta potty? I realize that you would get a few cheaters who would pause it and then not turn it back on and then run a sub 3 hour marathon instead of a 6 hour. How about a pausing mat in every porta potty that would pause the chip when you go in and turns it back on when you go out?
Ok, well you can see that I have way too much time on my hands during my rest week. I actually feel pretty good and my legs feel great, which is nice. Immediately after my 20 miler on Sunday, I drove home and the first thing that I did was dump a whole ice maker full of ice cubes into a bathtub of cold water. Rick and Madison looked at me like I was insane as I proceeded to climb into the tub in a sweatshirt, coat, hat, mittens, and bikini briefs. I yelped a little, but my legs soon got used to the cold and sat and shivered for the next 10 minutes. Yes, I’m a fan of Cryotherapy or cold therapy. Are you a fan? If not, you should be. Cold Therapy constricts blood vessels and decreases metabolic activity, which reduces swelling and tissue breakdown. Once the skin is no longer in contact with the cold source, the underlying tissues warm up, causing a return of faster blood flow, which helps return the byproducts of cellular breakdown to the lymph system for efficient recycling by the body.

Please note: I obviously stole this last sentence from a website; I didn’t make it up. I’m not that smart.

Yep, I truly believe that this is the reason why my legs feel so good. I didn’t ice after my 18 miler and my legs felt like crap for a week. Also, make yourself something hot to sip on while searing your skin with frostbite like hot chocolate, tea, or coffee. Don’t be like me, I sat in the tub of ice and enjoyed a nice, cold, diet Mountain Dew. I told you I wasn’t that smart.

12 comments:

Jamoosh said...

Diet Mountain Dew? For shame! If you are going to sit in an ice bath with a cold drink, why not consume something that will help you relax your muscles. BEER WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER CHOICE!

Tara said...

OMG Jamoosh, you are right! I have committed a major party foul.

ShutUpandRun said...

I would support you in drinking a hot toddy with plenty of rum or brandy. Beer is too cold.

Lisa said...

Ha ha, I don't know that I will ever run a long enough distance to require an ice bath, but I have filled a 5 gallon bucket with water from the garden hose and stood in it. Does that count?

Jamie said...

I'm too chicken (or too much of a glutton for pain) to ice. I have read that a cool/lukewarm shower for a few minutes has the same effect so that's a much easier route for me to take :) Glad to hear the legs are feeling good. But seriously a beer would have made them feel that much better!

Jesse said...

Ice baths are wonderful, but I agree with Jamoosh that if you're going to drink something cold while sitting in ice, it better have some alcohol in it.

The ice baths definitely make a noticable difference in how I feel the day after a long run. When you think about it, distance running is rather masochistic - we make ourselves run 20 miles and then as a reward we sit in a tub of freezing water? Crazy.

Molly said...

I did think that you were going to say ice cold beer, I see I'm not the only one! This past summer after long runs I would stick my feet in the kiddie pool to cool off my barking dogs, felt good!

Katie A. said...

I love the timing mat at the porta potty idea! That my friend, is a million dollar idea! From someone who has battled the potty break, it would make it oh so much better!
I am a big fan of icing. I ice bath after any run that is longer than around 12 to 14 miles. And when I was out with injury, I iced in a big bucket every night. I know it helped!
Funny, I never thought of having a beer while I sit there, or a hot toddy either! I think I may enjoy the bath even more now! :0

Meg Runs said...

I LOVE ice baths but I can't stay in long enough to drink anything...I put on my grandma's knitted poncho and just count the minutes until it's over...
Hey, I thought your scientific explanation sounded very intelligent and I liked they way you sort of slipped it in at the end of the paragraph! Clever. I didn't know what "cryotheraphy" meant either so thanks for that too!

kristen said...

I heart ice baths!! I totally swear by them. I'm so glad you did it and reaped the rewards. Next time have hot chocolate. It's the best tasting thing on earth after a 20 miler. And it really does help with the initial shock.

You go girl!!

Keri said...

I prefer a pumpkin spice latte while suffering thru an ice bath!

Great job on 20 miles!

RunToTheFinish said...

i always take epsom salt baths...maybe I'll consider ice in Miami, but I really lvoe the epsom bath