Friday, September 25, 2009

TGIF!

Is it wrong that the very first thing that I did once I got home from my run last night was to pull a beer out of the fridge? In my own defense, I took water with me for my run, plus I have heard that beer can be used to rehydrate oneself. Yes, I did hear that from somewhere or read it somewhere. I really did….

The beer was called Buffalo Gold Ale made here in Colorado by the Rock Bottom Brewery and here is my review: It is good, you should definitely drink it.

My rest week has been very nice. I did a short run on Tuesday night, a spin on my cycle ops bike trainer on Wednesday, and another short run last night. Last night’s run was great; it was only a 45 minute run, but I had so much energy. The weather was a cool 57 degrees and the sun was shining, which I think had a lot to do with my energy level. I always run better in cold weather. My run was supposed to be light and easy in my heart rate zone 1, with 6 x 1 minute at a hard pace 15 minutes into the run. No long run this weekend. Yipeee! I guess next weekend will be 18 miles. Only 50 more days left!

My coach sent out a little snipet on why a good warm up before a run is so helpful and essential for you. I thought that I would share.

Not only is warming up essential to preventing injury, but it makes you faster, fitter and stronger over time. A proper warm-up:

-Increases muscle core temperature, thus decreasing work required for muscle contraction and making movement feel easier.
-Allows higher maximum cardiac output and oxygen consumption. (Translation: It increases your endurance and speed.)
-Causes blood vessels to dilate, which aids the transportation of oxygen and nutrients to the working muscles (so you can run faster)
-Increases your range of motion by heating the synovial (lubricating) fluid in your joints,improving flexibility.
-Warms you up mentally, increasing motivation and focus.
-Allows exercise to feel better and produce better results (your mainset will be faster if you properly warm up)

Hope everyone has a great weekend of training!

Family Update: No big plans for the weekend. We are planning on catching the Rockies vs Cardinals game downtown on Saturday, which should be fun. Or maybe taking another drive through the mountains to see more fall colors. Due to the cooler temps this week, the caps on the mountains have snow on them, it is beautiful. Madison’s homecoming is next weekend. We spent a few, painful hours at the mall last weekend, finding a dress. It is a really cute black and white strapless; I will have to post pictures. The best part is that we got it at Macy’s for $36!

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Ha ha, some people drink chocolate mile post run and you drink beer... nothing wrong with that. Guess it's better to drink it after instead of before lol. Ugh, I hate running in cold weather. Not looking forward to this winter. I hate being cold and sweaty. Have fun at the baseball game. Go Giants lol!!!

Lisa said...

chocolate milk not chocolate mile lol, although of mile of chocolate sounds really good.

B.o.B. said...

Love your review. Short and sweet.

Have a good restful weekend and can't wait to see Madison's dress. I am a girlie-girl at heart.

Marathonman101108 said...

Nothing wrong with having a beer after a run. Hey, it's carbs after all!

Meg Runs said...

Ha! Beer! I saw a comment of yours on another post about a glass or two of wine and I was so jealous...I haven't been able to have any wine for a few days since I"m afraid I'll dehyrate tomorrow and shrivel up, ugly thought. HOWEVER, you know what I'll be doing tomorrow evening...

RunToTheFinish said...

aww homecoming...i remember that from way back when!

i read something about how if you walk for at least 8 minutes before you start then you will be able to run farther

ShutUpandRun said...

I love that Buff Gold Beer. They had that at the end of my half marathon last weekend and it tasted so good. I am so bummed we will not be able to run together in SA. We might still go since Ken is signed up for the half and we have plane tix already, etc. If you hear of anyone who wants to buy my bib, let me know. Also I want to talk to you about your coach - when I am able to run again I might want to look into getting a coach to help me get back on my feet and to train smartly...

Katie said...

I think I have heard that as well... beer is a great refresher :) Kudos on the review... just the way I like them! Glad to hear you had a great week.

Jamie said...

absolutely nothing wrong with a good beer after the run :)