Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Is it Worth It?

OMG-Look at that widget over to the right! It does NOT say that I only have 53 days until my marathon!

My last two long runs have been less then stellar. Actually, the term “less then stellar” is probably too good of a description for them. I’m going to be a lady (hey! I see you laughing out there) and not tell you what I really think of them. Now, I know that I am not the best runner or even a super fast runner. In fact my running is probably the equivalent to being the dumbest kid in the Advanced Physics class. It’s commendable that I am trying, but I’m just not quite getting it.

So, I had a talk with my Coach about my general lack of energy and my inability to hold my race pace for even two miles at a time. She gently reminded me that running a marathon is extremely stressing on the body. Then add to that the drastic dietary change that I have made recently by becoming an overnight vegetarian, mid-training, and it is probably fair to say that my body may be a little whacked out right now. She was very encouraging and supportive about my quest, but we talked about perhaps adding a certain amount of meat back in so that my body gets the iron that it needs. I could then work with a certified nutritionist after the marathon in order to make sure I am getting everything that I need in my diet, so that I can train right for the next marathon and still be a vegetarian. So, I feel horrible, but I think that I will be adding free range chicken (no factory farming!!) and some fish back into my meals. I feel guilty about this decision, but it probably wasn’t the smartest move on my part, changing my diet like that without knowing what I was doing. I am dropping weight like crazy and I just don’t have the sort of energy that I used to on my long runs. Someone please tell me that I’m doing the right thing!!

In other news, my foot feels better, which is a good thing since I can’t get in to see the doctor until October 6th. Geez…does EVERYONE have feet problems these days?

Random Observation about personal relationships and friendship: Some people are extremely needy and have to have constant re-assurance from people in order to maintain their own self confidence and self worth. These types of friendships can be incredibly draining, especially when the "drainee" nags, nags, nags to the point of it being unattractive. Is it best to hang onto these friendships because it is too painful to drop them or are you the one who will just suffer in the end...

14 comments:

B.o.B. said...

You got a lot going on in this post.

First, glad the foot is better. Doctors all take forever to get an appt.

Second, I think adding some chicken or fish is a good idea. No one should judge you. It's your body and your race.

Third, I say it depends on how long you have had this friend. Maybe back off a bit. Get some space. If it's a newer friend I'd go with the phase out.

Katie A. said...

I totally feel you on the whole guilt thing with the meat. I am not good at being a runner AND a vegitarian. I have to eat some chicken a couple of times a week too. Don't kick yourself about it too much!
Glad your foot is feeling better! :)

ShutUpandRun said...

Looks like you and I are both going to be hobbling our way through that SA marathon. But we will do it, right???

Anonymous said...

OMG I hope you aren't talking about your sister who has been sending you bridesmaid emails to bug you ;-) Because you can't drop me---I'm family baby!

Tara said...

Oh good lord Laura, of course I wasn't talking about YOU! I can't wait to be you maid-ok matron -(hate that word) of honor. Besides, you don't nag and whine at me. I hate people who do that.

Molly said...

Dude, it's huge decision that you made the choice to go vegetarian, you should not feel guilty about having to add some meat back into your diet as you adjust to it. Especially since you're losing so much weight. Like your coach said, you can get back full force after the marathon. Plus you need all that animal protein to help you to concentrate in your accounting meetings. : )

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Do you do yoga? If not, when your foot completely heels, give it a try. It strengthens and stretches your feet (and the rest of your body) and helps to reduce running injuries.

I do not eat a lot of meat, but I do not feel bad when I do. Shrimp, chicken and fish are excellent sources of protein that God provided for us.

Jesse said...

If you need to add the meat back in, then do it. You definitely can run without meat, but you need to make sure you find the right plant sources for nutrition. I'm on a nearly vegan diet, with no meat and next to no dairy, etc. I have more energy now than I did on a meat diet. But, I made the switch to vegetarian slowly. It would be difficult to cut all the meat out at once. It might be better to figure out the food stuff in two months once the marathon is over. Let me know if you want some suggestions for meals instead of meat.

kristen said...

First, you are doing the right thing!! Remember me telling you about my freind...the one who never ate red meat...and her training started suffering while she was training for Boston...yeah. It's huge! Marathon training is crazy. Your putting your body through some seriously intense shit. You have to keep your nutrition in check. Not all meat is bad and I think adding free range chicken and fish is a brilliant idea. Plus, maybe keep taking iron pills - or start if you havn't done that already. DON'T FEEL GUILTY. Your not a bad person for eating meat. That's just what *they* want you to belive:) ok, kidding about the *they* part.

Second, I have been reading about a lot of foot problems lately. It will all turn out. Hang tough.

Lastley, I've had freinds like that before and I've tried to hang in there for as long as I can, but ultimately they are way to draining for me. Especailly if they begin to take away from other relationships like a husband or children. If you are constatly having to accomidate them - what kind of freindship is that really? It takes two people to make a freindship and if your the one who is doing all the supporting....life's too short.

Marathonman101108 said...

You're doing the right thing; dump the high maintenance "friend(s)". Yes, all doctors are busy because us crazy runners don't know when to take it easy...and kristen is extremely long winded but makes some good points (JK kristen about being long winded). :-)

Marathonman101108 said...

You're doing the right thing; dump the high maintenance "friend(s)". Yes, all doctors are busy because us crazy runners don't know when to take it easy...and kristen is extremely long winded but makes some good points (JK kristen about being long winded). :-)

Jamie said...

First, I think coach is right about adding the meat back in the mix. It's needed when training so intensely. You're body doesn't know what to do w/ all the changes!!! I only wish I had the issue of dropping serious weight ;) After marathon training you'll be able to focus on a new nutrition/meat free approach.

Second, back off those friends. We've all been there and it's harder on you in the end. Sometimes it's easier taking some time away...

aerorunnergirl said...

I was a vegetarian for 5-6 years a while ago. When I gave up meat, I did it just like you did: I just quit one day. However, I wasn't in the middle of training for a marathon. I wasn't in the middle of training for anything, save perhaps the olympics of couch potatoishness.

It's not surprising that the sudden shift caused your body to stop and say "WTF?"

Hang in there and do what your body needs until this race is behind you. At that point, you can re-evaluate and come up with a plan that includes running while being a vegetarian that won't leave you wiped out. No reason to feel guilty over it. Your body is a machine that needs a particular fuel to operate. And we weren't born with these pointy teeth for nothing!

Jamoosh said...

Diet - totally forgot about that. Big changes in your training means big changes in your training, if you know what I mean. I don't know if you are couting calories, carbs and protein, but that might be a place to start.