Friday, September 11, 2009

I'm Pregnant!

Yea, I’m really not. But it’s my 100th post and I said to myself. “This is your 100th post you should say something amazing, great, and spectacular, something no one will ever forget!” and then I realized, “yea…..I got nothing.” So I decided to throw out the shock factor instead. I’m sorry if you came here looking for baby news; there really isn’t any. I’ve got a marathon to run. Can you imagine running a marathon while pregnant? I wonder how many pit stops at the porta potty that would be. As bad as I am, I would just save time by roping one around my tummy and dragging it along behind me. I’d put wheels on it of course.

I’ve got two goals for this weekend. First, I’ve got a 14 miler on my schedule. I keep reading everyone’s posts about 20 and 22 milers and I am starting to realize that those runs aren’t too far ahead in the future for me. Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into? I can’t imagine running that kind of mileage. That little widget thingy over there to the right says that I have a little over two months to prepare so thankfully I have some time. Second goal is to head over to REI and purchase a fuel belt. I appreciate all of your suggestions and comments on what you all do for water and fuel. I’ve decided that the fuel belt is the thing for me, so I’m going to break down and buy one and start using the damn thing. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to start experimenting with it now before I do get into those REALLY long runs.

I have also almost successfully made it to two weeks without eating meat. At this point, I am past the point of craving it, so I feel like I’m in good shape. However, this will be my first long run that I have done as a vegetarian. I am a little concerned about fueling before and after the run. I am always so incredibly hungry after my long runs and I need tons of protein. I realize that I can get my protein from other sources such as beans and nuts, but come on…I can’t eat beans all night. My husband wouldn’t want to go to bed with me. I have been partaking in lots of veggie burgers, whole wheat pasta, meatless chicken, and other meatless products, but I would really like some good vegetarian recipes. Anyone? Anyone?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

12 comments:

Katie A. said...

Tofu! It is awesome grilled, stir-fryed, baked, broiled. Anything you can think of it takes on that flavor. Firm is the best for grilling and stir fry and silken always does well in post run shakes.
Don't forget about all the meatless vegitarian options in the fresh and frozen food sections - the tofu and meatless items are always a winner!
Good luck with the 14 miler - I'm doing mine on Sunday, too!

Katie A. said...

BTW, congrats on the 100th post! And I laughed hard as I read this! :)

Molly said...

That's the best post title I've ever read! ha!

good luck on your loooong run! I've got my half marathon on Sunday!

ShutUpandRun said...

You totally had me!!

Meg Runs said...

You had me too...I was just going to feel sorry for you because your daughter is in high school...you're almost empty nesters...not that you wouldn't love a little one I'm sure. Anyway, you have a marathon to run so I'm happy your news was just in fun. Have a great long run!

Melanie Tait (Mel Tries to Run) said...

ha ha - hilarious. I have to admit though, whenever one of my running buddies becomes pregnant (especially if they're working towards something big), my heart drops for them. Isn't that terrible? As soon as I remember having a baby might just be more important than a marathon, I feel jubilant for them, but my initial reaction I'm never proud of... :)

Anonymous said...

OMG don't do that to your sister! I got all excited because I thought I was going to have a new niece or nephew!

cami said...

Congrats on your centennial post! Oh, and on your vegetarian endeavor (consider adding quinoa to your diet -essential for vegetarians); and on {not} being pregnant. :)

kristen said...

I bet your going to do great on your long run despite the red meat factor. THAT part is all in your head!!! You'll be fine girl! I'll keep you in mind if I come across some good veg. recepies. I try to eat red meat only twice a week and veg. meals twice a week. the other nights I do chicken and/or fish.

Congratulations on your marathon baby :)

About your last post - I hate hills work with a passion. You are not alone!! I also hate the political BS on facebook. I'm thinking of dropping a girl who constatnly engages people in political talk. I always like to get a feel for "the other side" but right now her status says something about right wing Christians blah blah blah. I'm not a RWC, but c'mon lady get a life. I want to hear what coll fun people (like myself) are up to. I'm going to try to find you on FB. Or you can find me: kristen barrett.

p.s. I'm always trying to watch my potty mouth. Better to clean it up now than under force when I have children.

Good luck on your long run!

Jesse said...

Congrats on making it to two weeks without meat! Everyone always seems to be worried about getting enough protein without meat, but if you eat a balanced (vegetarian) diet, you should have no problems at all in the protein department. Log your food for a few days, and you'll probably be surprised at how much protein you're actually getting (There's a pretty decent free food log here)

Chris said...

This is quite the celebratory post! Congratulations on 100 posts and on making it two weeks as a veggie-girl. A cook book that I really like is Veganomicon. It's totally Vegan. [I'm not, but I improvise.]

I LOVE my fuel belt. Hope you found one that works for you!

RunToFinish said...

ha that title was hilarious! i will never be posting that as way too many people would think it was true!

i actually started with your poopy post, so sorry to hear about your tough day. pet issues are no fun, my kitty used to throw up pretty much daily