Monday, September 14, 2009

I Had a Bad Day

These are Rick's pics that he took of us with the sole purpose of just annoying us.


I hadn't fixed my hair yet. Please note: I was in a tank; not a bra.




Even the dog was annoyed.

I Had a Bad Day. I’m not posting about that old Daniel Powter song. I kind of had a crappy Sunday. Literally. My 14 miler was not as good as I wanted it to be and I woke up to about 5 piles of dog diarrhea. My husband brought me a bucket and a pair of rubber gloves. He’s so helpful; how did I ever manage without him.

Don’t want to gross you out, just wanted to let you know how my day started. If your day starts out with dog doo, you know it’s going to be one of those days. Now onto my 14 miler. My boss, who is a runner, told me about a really nice gravel trail that is shaded and goes all of the way to downtown Denver. Rick and I had taken a drive over to the trailhead on Saturday night to check it out. Yes, that was the highlight of our night. It was rainy and really dark out, so we drove down a good portion of the trail before we realized that we were actually ON the trail. Oooops. That’s how wide the trail was; at least he knows if I have a problem while running, he can drive down to get me.

The trail seemed perfect, nice and flat, with a porta potty at the start. Can’t get much better then that. If there had only been a concession stand selling Beer and chips and salsa, it would have completed the whole experience. I had bought a fuel belt on Saturday, so I was experimenting with that as well. Now, I didn’t get your typical fuel belt, the one that I bought had two giant water bottle holders and a huge pouch that were all situated on the backside. I’m not sure why I thought that having two giant water bottles bouncing up and down on my butt would be even remotely comfortable, but I bought it anyway. I got tired of the bottles real quick, they were heavy and annoying. I tried to drink as much water as I could, so I could empty them out a little bit and had to pee so bad by mile 2 that I thought I would die. I stopped by a porta potty. While I was in the potty, I took a gel. Seemed like a good place to take a gel at the time. I didn’t notice that while I was getting my gel, my car keys fell out. I didn’t realize this until about two miles later when I backtracked and stopped at my car to drop off the giant water bottles. I retraced my steps and finally found them on the floor of the porta potty. I really hoped that nobody had peed on them, but at that point, I was so thrilled to have found them, I didn’t care. I finally dropped the bottles off at the car and was literally worn out. I had started my run out way too fast (I know better) and I was packing heavy bottles on my butt. I had only gone about 6 miles. Eight more to go. I decided that the plan of the day was just to “get er done” without worrying too much about my pace. I started off again and then later noticed that I had forgotten to start my Garmin. I hate it when I do this. I had no clue how far I had gone. I finally finished up my 14 miles (or who knows how many more) sweaty, salty, and flat worn out. Average pace for the 14 miles was 9:55. Average HR= way too high; I should know better. I’m also going to buy a regular fuel belt.

I got home and had just enough time to shower, stretch, and take in a recovery drink before Madison reminded me that I was taking her and her friend to Wal-Mart to pick up paint and some other supplies that they needed for a craft project they were doing. They were making shorts with their school name on the rear and bandanas to wear to the home football games. They even made Rick and I bandanas. My bandana says “Sexy Mama” and his said “Old Man”. Their project turned out really cute and Wal-Mart wasn’t as busy as I thought it would be. Sunday’s are usually “family day at Wal-Mart”. Everyone goes in their Sunday finest and takes up entire rows trying to decide what brand of chips they should purchase for the week.

9 comments:

Chris said...

I stopped to poop in the woods one time and when I pulled my tissues from my fuel belt, my car key fell out. I had to run BACK UP THE TRAIL after 17 miles in a panick to find my key, which was nestled next to my deposit and my used tissue. Neat. Oh.

Jesse said...

Wait? You took a gel in a Porta-potty? Really? I'm way too much of a germaphobe to put anything near my mouth when I'm inside one. Anyways, glad you managed to still get in the 14 miles, despite all of the troubles. I would have given up long before that.

PS: Shop-vacs do wonders for cleaning up dog diarrhea/vomit. Just take it outside and hose out the inside afterwards.

B.o.B. said...

You are hilarioua. Sorry your run was no good, but lesson learned.

Molly said...

oh my, what a day. But you completed your run which is HUGE!!

Melanie Tait (Mel Tries to Run) said...

Oh, your poor dog. And poor you having to clean it up - yuck yuck yuck! Perhaps it should be added into marriage contracts "I promise if I'm the first one to see doggy poo, I'll clean it up...".

Good job on the run!

ShutUpandRun said...

Man gels and keys in the porta potty. You had quite a day. Good job though - glad you didn't run with me b/c you would have had to endure me stopping to crap. We would be fast friends.

Meg Runs said...

Tara, Tara, Tara! I was laughing so hard at your first paragraph about your dog...that I couldn't finish your post. Gloves and bucket? There are so many better ways to deal with that...

I could definitely relate with the massive bottles joggling on your buns...been through that a zillion times, that's why I moved on to the Camelbak but...it's like carrying a Sparklet's bottle on my back now!

kristen said...

I'm sorry girl. Sounds like a bad ending (wal-mart) to an even worse day. Buy hey, how cool is it that your daughter thinks your the cool parent :)

Good plan ditching that feul belt. Sorry about the keys. That must have been so furstrating. Nothing worse that doing that on a long run.

Forget about this one and move on. Your next long run will be fantastic!

p.s. I couldn't find you on facebook...

Jamie said...

Okay the pic of the dog is too funny. And I'm very glad your keys only fell on the floor and not anywhere else in the porta potty. We all have those kind of crappy runs; it makes us appreciate the good ones even more! Congrats on getting er done :)