Thursday, September 10, 2009

Happy Hills.

I ran hills the other day. I really wasn’t prepared to run hills after my hilly mountain bike ride, but I went ahead and did it anyway. I actually had a trail run in the mountains on my schedule, but by the time I got off of work, I didn’t have time to drive over to a good trail. Darn work; it always gets in the way of my personal life.

Please notice that I used the word darn instead of damn. I am trying to clean up my act a little bit. I heard some girl use fuck three times in one sentence the other day and even I was appalled.

Anyway, I found some worthy hills (I do live in Colorado) on a gravel trail not far from my house. Most of the hills were not very steep, but they were all rather long. My instructions were to let the trail determine my pace, but try and move quickly up the hills and recover on the down hills. I am not very good at hill repeats or running fast up a hill; it is too hard and it hurts too much. Pansy. But I do the best that I can. I did a nice easy warm-up and then hit the hills. I tried to keep my pace somewhere between 8:36 – 9:36 minute miles (I said that I tried, doesn’t mean it happened all of the time) and then recovered easy on the downs. I got did a little over 5 miles with my average pace being 10:14 and average HR of 174.

Does anyone out there actually like doing hill work?

Last night was my rest night. I needed it after run tests, mountain biking, and running hills. I decided to log onto to facebook. Over half of my news feed page was covered in people playing Mafia Wars, Farmtown, and something called Farkle. Other people were having just two sided conversations about...well nothing. Do people know about the “inbox function” on FB? I scrolled through all of those and came to a post that read: “I just peed on your wall.” And the response was: “WTF, are you trying to mark your territory?” Ok, that one made me chuckle. My page also prompted me to become a fan of Pizza Hut because so and so is a fan of Pizza Hut. Let me think about this. Ok...no. Then I read all of the political crap. Can’t we keep this off of facebook? Half the time they just make themselves look retarded by what they post anyway…even the ones that I agree with. I ignored the 80 requests that I had and logged off.

Training for the week: Tonight will be cross training on the bike and then some strength work.
Friday will be an hour run working on some tempo paces
Saturday is another bike
Sunday is the long run.

Happy Training!

9 comments:

Jamoosh said...

I like hills. I took up a running friend's challenge to run a nearby bridge ten full times (over and back). Total distance 18.6 miles.

Yeah, I need help...

Morgan said...

I like charging the hills but after a few I'm usually dead.

Dude I hear ya on the FB stuff... I'm like seriously ya'll don't have a life... go run or something!!!!!

HEATHER @ runfastermommy! said...

I would love hill work if we had hills, haha! it's flatter than a pancake here. So I thought of you yesterday in class. We were learning how to use a Biodex dynamometer, and I guess you can do tests on that to make a very educated guess on muscle fiber types. So I was a bit off with the needle biopsy only thing! Who knows, I may have something even different for you tomorrow, haha!

HEATHER @ runfastermommy! said...

p.s. I'm hopelessly hooked on farmtown, LOL!

B.o.B. said...

As I write this you now only have 3 hours left of work - woo hoo!

I hate hills. Love speed work. Hate a hill. I always say "Eff yo hill Charlie Murphy!" (Dave Chapelle anyone? Anyone?"

Facebook is super lame. That is why I am on it every. day.

Melanie Tait (Mel Tries to Run) said...

Well done on the hills!

I must confess I live in a super flat place, so hardly ever do hills (which I know is bad bad bad!).

Oh, to be in Colorado. What's that John Denver song? I wish I was in Colorado?

Meg Runs said...

Don't hate me because...I'm a hill lover! Hills over flat any day but not speedy hill running...just plodding.
I was over Facebook...until I realized I could stalk my son at college and now I'm all over it again. Too bad my son's friend "mentioned" that my son didn't feel like going to class. Oops. Hubby called him within ten minutes. He's on to us now.
The ads on Facebook do bug me.

Chrisy said...

I don't mind hill work. Even when I run slowly on hills, I know I'm getting a great workout.

The FB games are bringing me down. They clutter my home page too!

My marathon is tomorrow [the one on trails] and I remain forever thankful to you for telling me about SuperFeet. I LOVE them. They've gotten me through my training. Thank you!

X-Country2 said...

I don't drop f bombs (so not classy), but damn is one of my favorites. That and bitchy. :o)