Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fast Twitcher

Well I survived both my run test on Saturday and my first week of being a vegetarian.


Recovering with a nice healthy apple after my test. I really wanted a huge hunk of cake, but I managed to be good.

First off, the run test. I did not die, there were points during the test that I thought that I might, but I didn’t. Score one for Tara for being alive. I ran 1.18 in the eight minute test portion of my run with an average heart rate of 181. This averages out to be a 6.47 pace. Score two for Tara for kicking eight minutes ass (even though I didn’t make it to two miles). My Coach was very pleased and yet found it curious that I had the same average HR and max HR as I did during my longer run tests. She is confident that I will improve in my endurance and become a stronger runner due to my results. She also made the comment after the test that I must be a fast twitcher. We have two types of muscle fibers: fast twitch and slow twitch. Most fast twitchers are better at sprinting and powerful short runs, while slow twitchers are better at long endurance runs. Fast twitchers can be great marathoners, but they just have to work harder. Being a self-admitted pansy, the whole “work harder” thing has me cringing.

What the heck is she going to do to me now?

Has anyone else heard of this muscle twitching thing? Do you know what type you are? How has it helped you in your training?

I also survived my first week of not eating meat. Thank you for all of your supportive comments and helpful suggestions; I really appreciated them. It honestly has not been as hard as I thought it would be….yet.

A menu/weekend breakdown:

Saturday after my run test, Rick, Maddie, and I drove over to Golden to just hang out and go out to dinner. Golden is the home of the Coors Brewery (and the yummy Blue Moon beer), so the smell of beer brewing was in the air. Most people either love this smell or they hate it. I personally love it and it covered up the smell of meat being barbequed. We went and ate at a pizza place and I had pizza with basil, mushroom, and green pepper. I really enjoyed the fresh basil leaves on the pizza. I usually use arugula leaves when I make homemade pizza. I will definitely try the basil.


Grand Lake, Colorado


Grand Lake, Colorado


Grand Lake, Colorado


Grand Lake, Colorado-Madison has her nerd glasses on and they are giving me cheesy grins.

Sunday, we drove up to Grand Lake, Colorado to hang out. We hiked around the lake, ate, and looked for moose. We didn’t see any moose. I’m kind of glad that we didn’t; I’m sure what we would have done with one had we found it. They really aren’t creatures that you want to mess with. We went to eat at a little restaurant near the water and I had veggie fajitas that weren’t too bad.

Monday, Rick and I packed up the mountain bikes and headed out to Pine Valley Open space park to do a little mountain biking. I hadn’t been on a mountain bike in forever, so it was awesome to be riding out in the woods. After our ride, Rick and I experimented with making veggie chili. I did a little shopping at our local Sunflower Market and found some vegetarian “beef crumbles” that are made out of soy. As a ground beef substitute, crumbles have almost no fat, no cholesterol and less than half the calories of an equivalent amount of ground beef. I know….they sound gross don’t they? They actually don’t taste bad and the chili was REALLY good. There were a ton of great flavors that we have never noticed with regular chili.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I will be catching up on all the blogs throughout my workday....I mean my lunch break.

Happy Training!

13 comments:

Morgan said...

Congrats on not dying! Way to rock that pace girl!

Looks like you had a great weekend!

Jamoosh said...

WTF? Vegetarians can't eat cake?

Molly said...

I love the smell of brewing beer, my town has a Budweiser Brewery, and we always know when it's cooking!

Do you ever watch Sara Snow? She makes some great vegetarian dishes,they're on her blog.

B.o.B. said...

Meat crumbles sound weird. But hey if they taste good who cares? ;)

Excellent job on the run test. I am not sure how I twitch. I may have to find that out. You learn something new every day.

Have a good one!

aerorunnergirl said...

I was a vegetarian for years. I can definitely recommend the Morningstar Farms veggie sausage links. Sounds disgusting, but they're really good! Oh! And the fake buffalo wings.

I'm not sure, but I'd hazard a guess that I'm more of a slow-twitch person. Nothing my body does is very fast. Congratulations on your awesome run test!

HEATHER said...

I am currently in an exerercise physiology class in school, and we just covered muscle types. From what I understand, the only *true* way you can tell what type of muscle fibers dominate your muscles are by doing a muscle biopsy test (aka take a sample with a big fat needle) and even then, different muscle groups can have various amounts of fast or slow twitch muscles. Also, EVERYONE recruits their slow twitch muscle groups first, sprinters, marathoners, etc, then if the activity crosses into the anaerobic threshold you recruit fast twitch muscle groups. You have two different types of fast twitch muscles , one that can be trained to be more like a slow twitch muscle. Now I'm rambling, but the point is, lol, I am just curious how your coach deducted that you have fast twitch muscles? Now I am by no means a scientist, just studied this for the last two weeks, LOL! But I would do some more research into it so you can more understand the different types.

THAT SAID....great pace!!!

Meg Runs said...

Girl, you look as young as you daughter and THAT was from eating meat so...all I'm saying is that a "little" bit of steak and cake(or should I say, stake and cake)can't be THAT bad. Sorry, I don't want to make you back slide but...
Way to bike with hubby!

Katie said...

That is very interesting about the whole muscle twitch thing. I definitely want to look that up. Congratulations on kicking 8 min's ass :) You da bomb!

TX Runner Mom said...

Wow, great pace!!! I've decided my muscles are definitely slow twitch...very slow twitch. I am impressed by your 1st week with no meat - I don't think I could do it.

kristen said...

I'm so gald to hear your enjoying your new found vegitarian side:)

I am also a fast twitch girl. I know this because I love speedworkouts and (until recently) the thought of running anything over a half marathon made me want to cringe. When I'm with my running group I kick ass at the plyos and strides, but anything over an 800 and those slow twitch fu@$ers got me beat. Sounds like we both have to 'work harder' to be sucessfull marathoners. It's all good!

Jamie said...

Congrats on week 1 of being meat free. I would have lasted 1 day :) Looks like a nice weekend and congrats on your test run.

RunToFinish said...

you said no to cake, for an apple...please tell me how!!!

wow the run test sounds really interesting ,i love that sort of stuff

Chris said...

I've thought about going completely vegetarian, but every once in a while I like beef [like once a month... maybe], and I crave chicken once or twice a week. I MIGHT be able to do it. Thanks for sharing your journey!