Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ramping the Long Run Back Up!

I just had to show off my new running hat before I got it all dirty and stinky.


Saturday, I started back in with my long runs again. We are taking it slow and easing back in after the foot injury, so it would be an 8 mile run. I checked out my training schedule and noticed that I needed to run 4 of the 8 miles at my marathon goal pace. I haven't really thought about my marathon time goal, quite honestly, I thought that I would end up having to bail out of the whole race because of the foot, so I have never chosen a goal. I was getting ready to leave for my run, so I had to make a decision quick. I have never ran a marathon before, so I have no clue what to expect. Oh, I expect that it will probably be one of the hardest things that I have ever physically done, but I wouldn't have a clue how fast (or slow) I would be able to run it in. I do know that I would someday like to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Now, I am not delusional, let me point out that I do NOT think that I will be able to do qualify on my very first marathon, with only three months to train, and with a gimpy foot, but maybe someday. Just for shits and grins, I pulled up the qualifying times for Boston. In order for me to qualify, I would have to run the marathon in 3:45. Hah!!! Who am I kidding? That's an 8:36 pace, which is comfortable for me on short runs, but no way I would be able to hold that for 26.2 miles! I decided "What the hell!" I'm going to do my 4 miles at that pace.

I started out my two mile warm up at about exactly 10 minute miles. It was freaking hot and I had forgotten my water...ooops, not good. By the time I got to my four miles at marathon goal pace, I was getting a little thirsty. "This can't be good." I thought. "Maybe I should take this at a slower pace". Nah...hell no! I'm a glutton for punishment and when I get something in my head, well, there's no stopping me. So I started my 4 miles. They felt good. This is easy, I thought. I can run this for 26.2 miles, no problem!

I like to kid myself into believing stupid stuff sometimes. Power of positive thinking.

My heart rate was hitting 180 by the third mile and I was dreaming of water. I know that dehydration can cause your heart rate to be 10-20 beats per minute higher (Liz told me this), so I wasn't surprised. I even contemplated drinking some of the lake water that I was running near, but decided that I wasn't that desperate.

I finished up and did an easy two mile cool down.

I weighed myself when I got home and realized that I had lost almost three pounds. I was 118 before I left and I was 115.5 when I got home. Hmmm...I better get some water.

I e-mailed Coach to let her know how my run went and told her that it was pretty much crap. She e-mailed back that if you do not bring water for an 8 mile run, it WILL be crap. She said this with a little smiley face, but I know that she really thinking: What a dumbass! I wouldn't blame her....I was calling myself a dumbass the whole run. And I still don't know what my marathon goal time will be.

I tried to hydrate well for the rest of the evening. Although I did manage to have a glass of wine with dinner (told you I was a dumbass). Madison and I hung out together Saturday afternoon and we went out to do a little shopping. Since we were over by Runners Roost, I decided to pop in. I finally retired my old running hat and picked up this new Brooks one. Isn't it cute?

This morning, Rick and I went out to Three Sisters Open Space Park for a little mountain biking expedition. I was only supposed to go for a 45 minute easy spin to flush out my long run legs. Oooops...blew that out of the water, but at least I did manage to bring water with me this time. It was a great ride. The climb up was three miles and it felt very comfortable. I think that I am finally getting used to all of the climbing that Colorado mtn biking has to offer. Once at the top, we hung out and stared in awe at the great views and then trucked it on down the mountain. The descent was rocky and fairly technical, but I managed to actually stay on the bike and not fall. I don't want anymore injuries!! It was a totally gorgeous ride and very nice to hang out with my husband.

Ok, gotta go, Madison is signalling me that she is ready to go to the bookstore. My other favorite pastime!! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

6 comments:

Meg Runs said...

First marathon?! Woo-hoo! Yes, you can and will qualify for Boston someday and that pace is totally do-able! Congrats on your first one...I'm already excited for you! DRINK..water!

Jamoosh said...

Oh yeah, that hat should take at least 30 seconds off your pace. Definitely looking speedy!

Molly said...

wow, I can't believe you lost 3 pounds after that run, you're hard core! : )

kristen said...

Well if your a dumbass I dont' even want to know what drinking a bottle (yes, a bottle) of wine after long runs make me. But I guess I'm ok with it.

I'm happy for you that you got through your first long run. Here's to many more!

chris mcpeake said...

Doing your first marathon is such a blast. good luck with the training, looks like your on track

M2Marathon said...

Wait, isn't the point of a long run so that you can drink the wine, guilt-free?

I've found that about 7 miles (and only if it's early morning and thus still pretty cool) is my limit without bringing water.